Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2021, 12:24   #31
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Oh, how wonderful to see a subject on a troublesome (no pun int.) subject without rancour! Can't stop now, my Irish son-in-law is expecting me. Back later.
Old 11th June 2021, 15:31   #32
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Just back from my personal Anglo/Irish interfamilial parley. Hope this escapes censure, it's meant as positive contribution:

This is all about the attempts at face-saving by political pygmies in Brussels. Given all the current, and growing, antipathy towards the council and its committees there is a growing unrest among many members which is ominous for their collective, in the wider sense, future.

The UK secession from the EU and subsequent pre-Covid-19 growth of UK, together with proof that the predicted suicidal cliff edge was in fact a glorious new dawn, has presented new hope for others in the EU group.

The EU see N.I. as an opportunity to flex muscle in the hopelessly impotent struggle to assert a false seniority, which of course is what the EU secession was all about in the first place. The funny side of all this is the sudden dearth of comment from previously strident ‘No’ commentators!

On the other point made earlier about immigrants not being France’s problem, well I’m afraid they very much are. Or, at least, ought to be. The French know full well that those terrified people travelling through France to the channel should have been, under EU law, refused entry into whatever was their second EU border.

The first port of call should not have given passage through to the next country on the list. And so on and so on. The French have condoned the illegal actions of the EU countries in between and actually helped immigrants to travel.

The humanity of the UK border force to save so many of these terrified people shows just how charitable we are. What an example to every country on the way from Sicily and Greece.

The EU should get over themselves and concentrate on legitimate matters of governance of their failing Commun, er, istic unity.
Old 11th June 2021, 17:31   #33
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Notice my questions went unanswered- again !

Just on talk radio:
Julia Hartley-Brewer just said:

"Many worried that Northern Ireland had effectively been thrown under a bus to deliver Brexit for the rest of the UK. I, as a Brexiteer, hold my hands up to that, as a price worth paying."

Says it all really.
Much more honest than BJ saying that ‘no British Prime Minister would sign up to an Irish Sea Border’
Then did
Then denied that it existed
Now blaming the EU when they implement the ‘agreed UK/EU rules’

You couldn’t make it up !

ANYWAY THIS IS MY FINAL POST ON THIS THREAD AS CLEARLY IT WILL END UP IN THE USUAL NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- FOR TAT.
JUST REMEMBER THAT IN THE COMING WEEKS NI WILL LIKELY BE IN THE NEWS HEADLINES, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.
It's been quiet civil and dignified - so far.
'We' were going to work through the tricky NI detail post 31st December 2020 meantime the wet border had to be accepted or it was 'No deal' - that was the strong arm stuff and I believe the UK side demonstrated the good faith that sort of compromise needs. There was a backstop though (no, not the one that got Mrs May dumped out of office), Article 16 and the post 2020 negotiated compromises/accommodations Article 13.2 would get before their final stamp of approval 4 years hence via the good people of NI. I see Mr. Macron has stated (again) earlier today that there will be no discussion nor compromise - so much for agreements then.
So if there is no movement and it's proven not to be working for NI, one side or 'tother is perfectly entitled to implement Article 16 - at any time, providing there is (internationally acceptable/recognised) reason so to do. Pres. Macron isn't the EU but he alone can spike it all with that attitude of 'goodwill', maybe his man didn't read the agreement, perhaps it wasn't French enough? No matter, if Article 16 isn't implemented the UK will and can, if necessary, support NI until 2024 and then which way do you think NI will vote?
The Republic neighbours meantime will find themselves on the thin end of the EU taxation and fishing divi wedge - talk about being thrown under a bus - poorer by at least €3Bn, being commercially shunned by the 6 Counties neigbours and one of only 5 net contributors to the EU 27 overblown exchequer, but with less of their own dosh - that's a good deal for supporting No Brexit!

Last edited by rab60bit; 11th June 2021 at 18:04..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 07:59   #34
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

The EU are using any instruments they can to appease dissatisfaction in the Republic with regard to EU/Irish relationships. Ireland is just one of several more member states well into becoming troublesome thorns in the EU's side.

They are shallow and desperately seeking to damp down growing unrest among members, especially when it has become obvious by the UK's progress that countries can have a better future outside. What a shabby lot they are.
Old 13th June 2021, 09:01   #35
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Macron has an election coming soon?

I seem to remember that some time ago there was a referendum in the Republic, the outcome of which was "inconvenient/unacceptable" to the then Irish governmant and they did not accept the result?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 16:56   #36
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Does EU see NI as not part of UK? No of course not, but they would never admit it. They are doing all they can to butter up the Republic and avoid the rot that is forming on the mainland spreading to other EU states. Is Macron representative of other EU leaders? No, he is out in the cold a bit and even seen as a creep and untrustworthy.

EU is desperate not to be seen as subservient to UK after the failure to retain UK membership by setting traps and building phoney objections in trying to stop UK secession. Significant amounts of Barnier’s performance was contrary to EU constitution and the fact that they could not stop UK secession made them look foolish. When they saw UK making waves around the world, in spite of pulling every trick they could think of, they were embarrassed. So they now try to create more problems to save face.
Old 13th June 2021, 18:46   #37
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

The EU are hellbent on demonstrating how bad it would be for other members to attempt to cede (not that many, if any, would be in a position to do so 'cos all the likely candidates are still far too deeply in hock to attempt it) whilst still attempting to make our departure as awkward and difficult as possible - they're still very pi...d o.f. with the Brexit outcome ' cos for the first time they've failed in their best endeavours to undermine and subjugate an EU ship jumper.
They made chumps of themselves by allowing some administrator to push the Article 16 button over the C-19 vaccines (openly demonstrating to the watching virus ridden world how dysfunctional their Council juggernaut is in the process).
Now it's sausages/the chilled meats regulations that just over six months back appeared to be a breeze, a minor procedural exercise amongst many small adjustments that had to be dealt with!!
They prefer to sulk and fall back on NI 'draft' regulations/paperwork they knew full well was a work in progress when the Withdrawal Agreement came into effect. As mentioned in an earlier post, they are going around with a hump and eventually, as they managed to do recently with Switzerland (after was it 9 years of 'negotiations') kick themselves, very hard, in the backside.
Who in their right mind would trust an organisation (apparently with an unelected, un-accountable executive representing almost 600M people and 27 country entities and an enormous budget) that has avoided an audit for more than 10 years! Not relatively new boys Greece (by any measure an economic basket case that somehow gained entry to the exclusive EU club by NOT ticking most of it's own financial and regulatory check boxes) nor founder member Italy (another economic basket case) both given the leper treatment by their 'friends' and master. Ireland are getting similar harsh treatment right now having played the EU's willing fool over Brexit - who needs enemies with friends like the EU gang.
I'll now shut up and watch the drama unfold but unless there is a continental reality check soon it's going to be ta ta to the agreement - and good ridance say I.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 11:04   #38
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

U.vd.L is very clever. She manages to hide the strings from which she dangles. Can only presume they are the same colour as the EU backdrop behind her.
Old 19th June 2021, 11:13   #39
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Yeah, talk about being in denial but she is only sticking to the propaganda of the EU, remember you have to take an oath - a bit like the one for Hitler.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 14:27   #40
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

It's always "don't confuse me with the facts I have already made up my (EU) mind" Whatever the result.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote