Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2021, 11:17   #1
Mogmike
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default Bizarre clutch failure then returned and OK again..?

Hi I've just had a bizarre clutch failure where I slowly lost the clutch in a period of about 15 minutes, snicking gear changes and then no gear change.. Limped home in 2nd gear. Lifted the bonnet an no signs of fluid in the engine tray no inside the car by the pedals. I put my foot under the pedal as it was now down to the floor and no real movement.. and lifted the pedalback up with my foot.
Then left the car a couple of days and now all absolutely fine again.. Working properly... Any ideas as I'm at a loss as to what happened...? Its my Rover 75.. 1.8 petrol K series.. 2004.
Mogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 11:54   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Could be the master cylinder needs stripping and cleaning out. Sludge can build up over time and cause a partial blockage .
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 13:05   #3
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Might be worth changing the fluid first by bleeding it through till it comes clear
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 14:08   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The pedal return caused your problem. As you began to find it hard to change gear your clutch pedal became lower and lower. The piston in the master cylinder no longer returned past the filler hole in the reservoir. Something, as suggested in the other posts above, was allowing a small amount of leak-past at the piston seal.---Lifting the pedal, as you did, drew the piston fully back and allowed the space in front of the piston to re-fill.
It seems likely this might have dislodged anything that was making the seal leak.

A fluid change might provide a cure.- If not then you might need to replace the master cylinder seals or even the master cylinder itself.

Happy motoring.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 16:27   #5
Mogmike
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Many thanks to Dave Lincs, Mike Noc and Colvert for really quick response.. Very much appreciated... The description of what is likely happeninv from Colvert has helped me understand and get my head around what occurred.. As mentioned by all, I need to start with a bleed at least.. And if necessary replace/repair the master cylinder..
Have always found help here and much obliged to everyone who contributes..
Old 13th June 2021, 17:39   #6
Mogmike
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Just had a look under the bonnet rebleeding the clutch.. The manual say it is possible by using the nipple on the piping for the slave which lives above the gearbox. It also says to too up the reservoir but I can't see one for the clutch.. Has any one bled their clutch and can give any pointers.. Especially how to top up the system.. ?
}.
Old 13th June 2021, 18:01   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

In a real design classic move the clutch reservoir lives on the master cylinder at the top of the clutch pedal, real PITA to get at. To top it up you really need a syringe and length of plastic tubing. You have to drop the plastic cover above the pedals and stuff your hand up between the clutch pedal and gearbox tunnel to get at it.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 21:32   #8
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Also when you manage to remove the top off the master cylinder there is a rubber seal, Commonly referred to as "The Condom" remove this to enable the filling up of the cylinder. You will also need to put a load of old rags on the floor below the pedals to soak up any spillage you may have.. Good Luck.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 21:43   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogmike View Post
Just had a look under the bonnet, re, bleeding the clutch.. The manual say it is possible by using the nipple on the piping for the slave which lives above the gearbox. It also says to top up the reservoir, but I can't see one for the clutch.. Has any one bled their clutch and can give any pointers.. Especially how to top up the system.. ?
}.
Recently topped up mine by injecting fluid in through the bleed nipple on the gear box top.

I'll post you some pics to give you an idea where to look. To top up the main reservoir you need to be a contortionist.----

To top up through the bleed nipple you need a length of clear plastic tube. A syringe, some brake fluid and a couple of small spanners.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matrix and clutch master cylinder..jpg (62.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Bleed-Nipple.jpg (75.2 KB, 11 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2021, 02:25   #10
Mogmike
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Many thanks Steve
strat, Number 6 and Colvert.. again.. Yes sounds like a design delight especially when I read that to get at the slave cylinder you have to take out the gearbox.. They have excelled themselves.
Yes to your offer of a couple of pics Colvert.. I have the components that you mentioned and it sounds more accessible even if a bit fiddly but sounds better than lying in the footwell and then being fiddly.
Much obliged to you all...

Last edited by Mogmike; 14th June 2021 at 02:27.. Reason: Spelling..