Notices

Old 19th August 2021, 21:38   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I thought that they only captured (stored) a certain time frame - or is that all old hat now? In other words, why would you want 4 hours of something which is of no use other than the actions of the muppets. Better viewing than the holiday phots I guess.

Kev
If you want to save an incident you have to do it manually but there may be times when you want to go back quite some time to look at something. The dash cam will overwrite what is not protected video

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2021, 12:57   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
If you want to save an incident you have to do it manually but there may be times when you want to go back quite some time to look at something. The dash cam will overwrite what is not protected video

macafee2
That is not strictly accurate. Most cams can or will save automatically in the event of a shunt, depending on how sensitive its shock sensor is set (my first one would save the recording if the door was closed a little too hard).

This function can be disabled on most, but I would suggest setting it to the least or a medium sensitivity. That way if youare disorientated or incapacitated it sjoild save it without it over riding the required footage.

Enough space to record a couple of hours should be all that is normally required, and if you do wish to save a witnessed incident, toucan press the save button (normally the largest or most prominent button). Remember to clear the saved folder every so often as this will gradually take up space - and it is worth checking the recordings regularly to verify the camera has not failed., and also formatting the card in the camera occasionally too.

Cameras normally record for a set duration, for a segment, which can be set by the user, commonly 1,3 or 5 mins. With the last second or 2 of each segment being duplicated at the beginning of the next segment.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2021, 14:02   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That is not strictly accurate. Most cams can or will save automatically in the event of a shunt, depending on how sensitive its shock sensor is set (my first one would save the recording if the door was closed a little too hard).

This function can be disabled on most, but I would suggest setting it to the least or a medium sensitivity. That way if youare disorientated or incapacitated it sjoild save it without it over riding the required footage.

Enough space to record a couple of hours should be all that is normally required, and if you do wish to save a witnessed incident, toucan press the save button (normally the largest or most prominent button). Remember to clear the saved folder every so often as this will gradually take up space - and it is worth checking the recordings regularly to verify the camera has not failed., and also formatting the card in the camera occasionally too.

Cameras normally record for a set duration, for a segment, which can be set by the user, commonly 1,3 or 5 mins. With the last second or 2 of each segment being duplicated at the beginning of the next segment.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

i said if "you want to", if someone does something silly and you want to keep it on video, if you save it is is protected and not automatically over written. I was not referring to the "G force sensor" that save video as you say in the event of a shunt

macafee2
Old 20th August 2021, 17:11   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
i said if "you want to", if someone does something silly and you want to keep it on video, if you save it is is protected and not automatically over written. I was not referring to the "G force sensor" that save video as you say in the event of a shunt

macafee2
I have misinterpreted it, as you also said you 'have to' as well. As in, if I had a collision, and I wanted to save it (which of course you would), I would have to press the button'. But if I was disorientated or unconscious, I wouldnt obviously be able to press the button. The shock sensor on most should (depending on the sensitivity setting) do it automatically, for peace of mind (which was the point of why I posted).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2021, 17:16   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have misinterpreted it, as you also said you 'have to' as well. As in, if I had a collision, and I wanted to save it (which of course you would), I would have to press the button'. But if I was disorientated or unconscious, I wouldnt obviously be able to press the button. The shock sensor on most should (depending on the sensitivity setting) do it automatically, for peace of mind (which was the point of why I posted).
just us misunderstanding each other

macafee2