Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th September 2021, 21:18   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default I think weve killed our car....

We decided to remove the pictured item as its clearly not factory and was detracting from the beauty of the car.

The battery was removed when the work was all carried out.

Now with the battery connected, all the interior lights flash like indicators would. They do not turn off or on via the controls. The headlights work when turned on. When the key is turned the radio all turns on and works as normal but the car makes no attempt to start. The windows do not operate either.

What was this item we removed (we presumed it to be an after market alarm) and has removing it somehow disabled the car?
The pictures show the thing as it is now, and also where it was connected into the loom under the steering wheel. We love the car quite a lot and would hate to scrap it as we've somehow disabled it....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189162.../shares/H6G1N7
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189162.../shares/o6H2z6
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189162.../shares/8UP835
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates

Last edited by Animesis; 7th September 2021 at 21:32..
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 21:52   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Looks like some sort of ultrasonic detector to me, check the factory wiring for any signs of damage / breakage or connections that shouldn't be there.

If it worked ok before you removed the gubbins, it will work again once you find out where the issue is.
Old 8th September 2021, 17:07   #3
Animesis
Loves to post

Had a look at where we've made any changes and cant find any obvious wire damage. Is it possible that device I removed was acting as some kind of bypass of the immoboliser or something?

With the key out all the interior lights flash, when turned they stop flashing but nothing of the car functions except the accessories.

Any ideas or people local to RG41 would be most most appreciated.
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 8th September 2021, 18:49   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

1/ By any chance can you contact the previous owner ??

2/ Is there any way you can re-connect it ??--( though I bet you didn't take note of what went where. )

3/ Next time, the saying---If it ain't broke don't try to fix it might be helpful.-------Sorry.--[

4/ I hope you get it sorted soon.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2021, 19:17   #5
Animesis
Loves to post

Many thanks to everyone who had a read and had a think, I've got it going!

It appears the earth return in the passenger footwell isn't quite making a good contact, I pulled the cover off to have a look as we have a fair amount of custom wiring there due to dashcam and lights etc

Immediately the lights stopped flashing and the car was acting normally. A jiggle of the wires and the fault returned, and the process was repeated. So its something there, I suspect the earth return as there is a lot going on down there, but what a huge relief! Now i know where I can have a better look in daylight and give the earth return a clean up and remake the connections.

It was a particularly nasty coincidence it was happened when I removed that aftermarket alarm thing, I thought I may have fried the ECU hah.. and the part was removed piecemeal, there was no chance of replacing it

Thanks everyone
Old 9th September 2021, 05:30   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Just read this and great to hear you got a result. Had something similar years ago with a Rover 416 when the main earth cable to the body fell apart and had exactly the same flashing of lights. Luckily easily spotted and fixed on the side of the road.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2021, 06:50   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We have to look after our "earth"!
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the result.