Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th September 2021, 11:44   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately your assumption may be unreliable. Unless your "spare" battery receives a frequent maintenance charge, it is likely to become sulphated. This means that although it may illuminate a "fully charged" indicator, many of the plates may be rendered useless so, in fact, only a proportion of the battery is fully charged. In this condition it is unlikely to start a car and particularly when placed in parallel with the vehicle's discharged battery.

If you put your voltmeter across the "spare" battery and operate the starter, a voltage of below approximately 10.5v suggests that the battery is sulphated if it previously gave a "fully charged" indication.

To guarantee that a "spare" battery will be useful whenever needed, leave it permanently connected to a smart maintenance charger. I recommend C-tek as they are well made and very compact but there are other choices.

Simon
Ok thanks Simon I will try that test in the next few days when the rain has stopped. The battery chargers are smart but I have known them not to be smart enough to charge an exceedingly flat battery. A good old fashioned charger was needed for a while before the smart one would operate

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2021, 17:39   #12
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

The best way to check a battery is with a drop tester .Most garages will check it for you free of charge.