Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2021, 08:34   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Is that not standard and expected practice everywhere when effecting a car transaction?

I've heard people on here advise others on tactics to use when going to view a car. It is what people do in order to pay the minimum!

This particular company's business model works for many people and not for others. The seller has a choice as to whether to use them or not. The same as whether you do your shopping at ASDA, Tesco etc.
It is standard and expected practice everywhere, period. They are trained to make money, nothing else, you are a cash cow, nothing personal, same as when you approach a dealership to buy a new car, they are trained to rip the public off, so you have to do your homework, it is a battlefield, no prisoners, or quarter, they are NOT your friend, negotiate with head, stay cool, walk away at a moment's notice if you don't get what you want, never tell the sales person anything they don't need to know, stay focus, no need to be rude, just don't answer their questions, and say as little as possible, once you make your case keep quiet, let them go on, when they are finished, repeat the same thing, if they get tiresome, just walk away.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 09:17   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
It is standard and expected practice everywhere, period. They are trained to make money, nothing else, you are a cash cow, nothing personal, same as when you approach a dealership to buy a new car, they are trained to rip the public off, so you have to do your homework, it is a battlefield, no prisoners, or quarter, they are NOT your friend, negotiate with head, stay cool, walk away at a moment's notice if you don't get what you want, never tell the sales person anything they don't need to know, stay focus, no need to be rude, just don't answer their questions, and say as little as possible, once you make your case keep quiet, let them go on, when they are finished, repeat the same thing, if they get tiresome, just walk away.

My point confirmed/proven.

The point to remember is that a professional seller of cars is there to make a profit. If you don't like their offer, don't take it. They do not have the luxury of being sentimental about particular cars. Their offers are driven by the market and demand plus their need to shift cars in order to stay in business.

Also, remember that not all car purchases have to turn into a robotic interaction. I remember when I went to buy a Rover 45. The elderly owner's wife fed me cups of tea and home made cakes whilst the gentleman showed me the contents of the car's file and went through the car's history. It would have been awfully strange to say nothing to them whilst sampling the cakes.

Personally, I prefer to play human. For me its always worked.

This youtube video from a decent, hard working, car dealer is worth watching and considering whether he is describing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-tDdGveI4
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 10:26   #13
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post

Wow! Too much like going into battle all guns blazing in expectation of a barrage! One minute of that would probably be enough to get his back up and treat you accordingly. I’ve spent my working lifetime in hard sales and have found that a genuine smile and a polite handshake works wonders. For both sides!
Old 18th September 2021, 13:06   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
My point confirmed/proven.

The point to remember is that a professional seller of cars is there to make a profit. If you don't like their offer, don't take it. They do not have the luxury of being sentimental about particular cars. Their offers are driven by the market and demand plus their need to shift cars in order to stay in business.

Also, remember that not all car purchases have to turn into a robotic interaction. I remember when I went to buy a Rover 45. The elderly owner's wife fed me cups of tea and home made cakes whilst the gentleman showed me the contents of the car's file and went through the car's history. It would have been awfully strange to say nothing to them whilst sampling the cakes.

Personally, I prefer to play human. For me its always worked.

This youtube video from a decent, hard working, car dealer is worth watching and considering whether he is describing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-tDdGveI4
Lol. Excellent. I could have watched more. So true.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 15:20   #15
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovermech View Post
I have two 75s a 2005 connoisseur se in firefrost red & fawn leather seats 91k in excellent condition and a contemporary T only done 45k so I thought I would try w b a car thinking of selling the cony they offered £150 and there was a £50 admin charge to come out of the £150 what a laugh no wonder they are on the box every hour
Keeps phillip schofield out of the dole queue
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 17:52   #16
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Wow! Too much like going into battle all guns blazing in expectation of a barrage! One minute of that would probably be enough to get his back up and treat you accordingly. I’ve spent my working lifetime in hard sales and have found that a genuine smile and a polite handshake works wonders. For both sides!
These people are immuned they just want to rip you off, so you need to be mentally prepared, as I said no need to be rude, nor will I ever be, however a shrinking violet is not going to happen either.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 18:06   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Brother grivas should have been sent to negotiate power sharing with the Taliban!

The west and Nato really missed an opportunity here.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 13:07   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

WBAC can work in your favour if you have a more desirable car to sell, the system can work well if your car is in demand.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote