Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2010, 18:06   #1
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Mk1 V6 Cooling Fan

On my wife's Nov 2000 2.0 V6 manual Classic SE saloon if the engine is idling with the cooling fan off and I switch on the aircon the cooling fan switches on. I know it is supposed to come on at speed 1 of 3. I have nothing to compare it to but it seems to be quite fast for speed 1. If the slow speed motor brush is worn away does the system sense this and use a higher speed that still has some brush left?
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:45   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

As above, second speed is pretty loud. Fast speed only comes on in overheat situations and is really dramatic.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:13   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The slow speed fan should start within a few seconds of switching aircon into Auto. If the slow speed has failed, it will be rather longer before the emergency higher speed fan trips in. This will cycle on-off-on-off every 15-30 seconds as the pressure rises and falls in a repeating cycle.

Intriguingly, there's a well respected member of another forum who insists this is the correct operation for the later 2-speed fans. He insists the 30 second cycling at the higher speed is how it's designed to operate in normal use. It seems nothing I say will alter that view, so I'm actually starting to doubt my understanding (and everyone else's) of the aircon fan system.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 5th May 2010 at 19:15..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:17   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The slow speed fan should start within a few seconds of switching aircon into Auto. If the slow speed has failed, it will be rather longer before the emergency higher speed fan trips in. This will cycle on-off-on-off every 15-30 seconds as the pressure rises and falls in a repeating cycle.

Intriguingly, there's a well respected member of another forum who insists this is the correct operation for the later 2-speed fans. He insists the 30 second cycling at the higher speed is how it's designed to operate. It seems nothing I say will alter that view, so I'm actually starting to doubt my understanding (and everyone else's) of the aircon fan system.

TC
You are correct TC my 2 speeder works exactly how you understand it to work The well respected "member" and I use the term in the colloquial sense, should listen to his elders and betters.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote