Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2021, 16:12   #1
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default Baffling Airbag problem

Hi All! Thanks for looking.

My airbag light came on and I had a look at the fault codes using TOAF and the AutoLiv software (cause my car has them, not the earlier ones). There were no faults on the TOAF other than 'no module' on SRS, but this forum explained why that is (need AutoLiv software not TOAF).

I got error codes 805 and 211 (wiring resistance and no signal from LH side impact sensor).

SO I purchased and fitted the correct LH side impact sensor and much better underseat connectors (SupaSeal). No joy. Changed the polarity of all the under seat cables, testing one by one, until...no joy. I am now getting another error, as follows:-

805 - front tensionor circuit - resistance too big
211 - Left side impact sensor - no signal
809 - left front airbag ignition circuit - resistance too big

I am totally baffled, and a bit fed up. I just don't get how the new (correct) LH SIS is not working. Is there anywhere else the wiring could be dodgy? In other news BOTH mechanical seat belt tensioners have lost their nuts and dangle under the seat but I couldn't see a pot or similar measuring the tension on them...or am I wrong?

Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. BIG thanks to the forum btw for all the info in Technical Help that has gotten me this far rather than crying into the IPK...

Best washes,

Paul.
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 16:41   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

On mine it was the connector to the side sensor, I presume it must have got damp and they was some resistance on the pins in the plug, I removed and refitted it several times to clean them and it fixed it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 17:14   #3
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulonsite View Post
Hi All! Thanks for looking.

My airbag light came on and I had a look at the fault codes using TOAF and the AutoLiv software (cause my car has them, not the earlier ones). There were no faults on the TOAF other than 'no module' on SRS, but this forum explained why that is (need AutoLiv software not TOAF).

I got error codes 805 and 211 (wiring resistance and no signal from LH side impact sensor).

SO I purchased and fitted the correct LH side impact sensor and much better underseat connectors (SupaSeal). No joy. Changed the polarity of all the under seat cables, testing one by one, until...no joy. I am now getting another error, as follows:-

805 - front tensionor circuit - resistance too big

I am totally baffled, and a bit fed up. I just don't get how the new (correct) LH SIS is not working. Is there anywhere else the wiring could be dodgy? In other news BOTH mechanical seat belt tensioners have lost their nuts and dangle under the seat but I couldn't see a pot or similar measuring the tension on them...or am I wrong?

Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. BIG thanks to the forum btw for all the info in Technical Help that has gotten me this far rather than crying into the IPK...

Best washes,

Paul.

Changed the polarity of all the under seat cables, testing one by one. Why would you want to change the polarity ?

In other news BOTH mechanical seat belt tensioners have lost their nuts and dangle under the seat but I couldn't see a pot or similar measuring the tension on them. They shouldn't be disconnected, in the event of a shunt, without them being connected they won't do their job of keeping you secure in your seat. There is no tension to be measured, why they are called that is that in the event of an rta the restraint system causes the ' tensioner ' to operate and tension, tighten, the belt sufficient to keep you safe in your seat.

As SPC says, condensation damage of plugs and pins is a favourite in this area and may be your problem, whilst you have been checking the wiring etc. you could have introduced the third fault simply by disturbing a loom which has another plug/socket with corroded terminals.
Old 18th September 2021, 17:39   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm chasing a SRS fault on my daughter's ZS180 at the moment, side impact sensor too which I've replaced but still got a fault, fortunately I have my own T4, which suggests I check the wiring between the connector and the SRS module (C0256/12 and C0950/2 slate wires).

Don't think you're that far from Wolverhampton are you? Arctic and others on here arrange a meet there, they usually have someone with a T4 who can diagnose your problem.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 12:40   #5
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
On mine it was the connector to the side sensor, I presume it must have got damp and they was some resistance on the pins in the plug, I removed and refitted it several times to clean them and it fixed it.

Thanks - very helpful
Old 20th September 2021, 12:42   #6
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Why would you want to change the polarity?

Sorry I shoudl have bene clearer, I was checking the polarity. The colours on my wires under the LH seat do NOT match the diagrams and photos on here, so I wanted to eliminate guess work.

In other news BOTH mechanical seat belt tensioners have lost their nuts and dangle under the seat but I couldn't see a pot or similar measuring the tension on them. They shouldn't be disconnected, in the event of a shunt, without them being connected they won't do their job of keeping you secure in your seat. There is no tension to be measured, why they are called that is that in the event of an rta the restraint system causes the ' tensioner ' to operate and tension, tighten, the belt sufficient to keep you safe in your seat.
- yes I know, I didn't remove them, the mechanic lost them when fitting a new handbrake handle

As SPC says, condensation damage of plugs and pins is a favourite in this area and may be your problem, whilst you have been checking the wiring etc. you could have introduced the third fault simply by disturbing a loom which has another plug/socket with corroded terminals.[/QUOTE]

- Any idea where? Everything looks good inside the car, including connections to the Airbag CU and the BCU.
Old 21st September 2021, 11:15   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I got error codes 805 and 211 (wiring resistance and no signal from LH side impact sensor) ...

805 - front tensioner circuit - resistance too big

I just don't get how the new (correct) LH SIS is not working.
Hello Paul,

The codes seem to indicate an open circuit or poor connection prior to the left hand tensioner, impact sensor and airbag.

As vitesse has suggested, why not message Arctic to see if a T4 can be made available at the next Wolverhampton meeting. The more clues you can gather the better.

Simon
Old 21st September 2021, 11:33   #8
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Paul,

The codes seem to indicate an open circuit or poor connection prior to the left hand tensioner, impact sensor and airbag.

As vitesse has suggested, why not message Arctic to see if a T4 can be made available at the next Wolverhampton meeting. The more clues you can gather the better.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I've actually got an OBD2/T4 booked with my local mechanic tomorrow. The nano is on the 3rd, my MOT is the 5th. Either way, I don't think I'm making that MOT due date...

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 21st September 2021, 12:46   #9
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The mechanical cables that aren't connected under the the seat aren't anything to do with the airbag they're purely there to adjust the height of the top seat belt mounting depending on the position of the seat

The seatbelt pretensioner is part of the stalk that the seatbelt clips into

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 15:31   #10
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Thanks Simon, I've actually got an OBD2/T4 booked with my local mechanic tomorrow. The nano is on the 3rd, my MOT is the 5th. Either way, I don't think I'm making that MOT due date...

Thanks again,

Paul.
I'd be surprised if your local mechanic has a T4, generic OBD2 will return the same codes as toaf. Where about in Birmingham are you? I'm just north of Birmingham and have a proper T4
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote