Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th September 2021, 14:08   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default KV6 LPG Installation

Has anyone fitted an LPG system to their KV6? Just looking to touch base as I'm thinking about doing it myself in a couple of months. I read a few posts by one or two members who'd done it but that was a couple of years ago and I think the posts were old then...
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 14:26   #2
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Has anyone fitted an LPG system to their KV6? Just looking to touch base as I'm thinking about doing it myself in a couple of months. I read a few posts by one or two members who'd done it but that was a couple of years ago and I think the posts were old then...
I haven't fitted one, but I had a Rover 75 LWB which had an LPG system fitted. The car had been used asa hackney carriage early in its life, and I suspect on airport runs as it was based in and around Heathrow.

All I can say is, that the engine was VERY sweet on nearly 170,000 miles, and the car is still going strong with an enthusiast. I did a couple of long road trips in it almost purely on LPG and it was a much more cost effective way of running.

The only gripe I had, is that it did hamper performance slightly but was still adequate on the motorway, being the 2.5 variant.
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 14:30   #3
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Good to hear - I had it on a Jeep Cherokee a while back and did a few repairs so I'm not completely clueless. I hear the modern kits don't effect performance like the older onea too
Old 19th September 2021, 16:38   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastienclement View Post
I haven't fitted one, but I had a Rover 75 LWB which had an LPG system fitted. The car had been used asa hackney carriage early in its life, and I suspect on airport runs as it was based in and around Heathrow.

All I can say is, that the engine was VERY sweet on nearly 170,000 miles, and the car is still going strong with an enthusiast. I did a couple of long road trips in it almost purely on LPG and it was a much more cost effective way of running.

The only gripe I had, is that it did hamper performance slightly but was still adequate on the motorway, being the 2.5 variant.
Your LPG system probably needs a proper tune and set up. When I had my old ZT 180 there was a 2BHP difference between the 2 fuels. I'll try find the dyno printouts somewhere. It felt identical on both fuels.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 16:39   #5
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Your LPG system probably needs a proper tune and set up. When I had my old ZT 180 there was a 2BHP difference between the 2 fuels. I'll try find the dyno printouts somewhere. It felt identical on both fuels.
I'm not too worried as I no longer own the car!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 19:14   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
be sure that you are going to cover the milage .no point in spending quite a large amount of cash out unless you are going to recoup this through fuel cost savings. it will certainly cost you quite a bit in labour unless you fit it yourself. if you are pretty competent with the spanners and electrics side of things then go for it. i fitted mine over a period of 3 weeks whilst still using the car 5 days a week mon to fri and left larger jobs of it to weekend hours. you can do this at your own pace planned out in a methodical manner. if you need advice on anything p.m me i will be happy to advise.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 19:21   #7
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

That would be fantastic mate thanks very much!
Old 19th September 2021, 21:06   #8
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I would check how many fuelling points there are round you too. From what I've read, they seem to be disappearing.
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 06:56   #9
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Ah there's plenty by me mate 👍
Old 20th September 2021, 12:57   #10
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

My ZT 180 auto already had a BRC system fitted when I bought it. It worked well for a while but now needs a thorough overhaul and service so I've not used it lately. When it was working I calculated that it gave V6 running for the price of a diesel and I couldn't detect any difference in performance between the two fuels. As has been mentioned above, I am concerned at the prospect of fewer stations offering LPG (Shell in particular seem to have pulled out of the market down here in the South which is a big supplier to lose) as you do have to have more regular re-fuelling stops with LPG due to it not being as efficient a fuel as petrol, but the costs savings are still real.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote