Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2010, 11:39   #1
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Default Radiator

I'm sure there are threads out there about a leaking radiator already but I have questions to ask and little time to do it, (Although I will still write a short story)

Driving down motorway, suddenly notice heat hit the red and engine stopped giving any power (Not great in the outside lane)

Pull over, give it a minute to cool down and then drive to the next service station.

There was NO water in the radiator (Or very little, as I was putting water in it seemed endless) it appears I have had a leak for some time now which has only just got serious, so I topped it up and it got me home fine, woke up this morning and found that there was a small puddle underneith my car, which means it is leaking a lot more quickly now.

I put some radweld into it earlier, followed the instructions and when I parked outside college a minute ago I noticed dripping just by the front left tyre, I am wondering if this would be direct from the radiator or if its possible that it dripped onto a ledge and then when i stopped lots fell off?

The engine bay seems to be wet almost all over and I thought the leak was from the middle but could be wrong.

So, how much does a new radiator cost inc installation?
have any of you tried radweld and is it any good?
Whats a good way of testing if there is a leak? (I am planning to wait until later when the car is cooled, top it up and wait to see if there is any change without driving it)

Im sure there are more questions but I am very pushed for time,

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

Joseph.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 12:00   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

You need first to check connections to the radiator and determine where the leak is coming from as it is more likely to be that than the rad itself.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 13:45   #3
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

front left iis that as you look at car. so off side.
if so and the water pump is in the same place on a oil burner as petrol.
your leak could be from the water pump.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:24   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Take the cover off underneath the engine, that will help you find the leak. For speed, take the car to a garage and get the system pressure tested, that will force water out of the leak so you can see it..

As the pressure test involves fixing a lil hand pump onto the rad cap hole, you wont be able to tell if the cap leaks. I suggest you replace that anyway, they don't cost much and they do tire with age.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:49   #5
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Take the cover off underneath the engine, that will help you find the leak. For speed, take the car to a garage and get the system pressure tested, that will force water out of the leak so you can see it..

As the pressure test involves fixing a lil hand pump onto the rad cap hole, you wont be able to tell if the cap leaks. I suggest you replace that anyway, they don't cost much and they do tire with age.
what pressure are the systems pressurised to? i have tools to make such a device but obviously dont want to put too much pressure in and blow a pipe off or split something
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 07:13   #6
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
I'm sure there are threads out there about a leaking radiator already but I have questions to ask and little time to do it, (Although I will still write a short story)

Driving down motorway, suddenly notice heat hit the red and engine stopped giving any power (Not great in the outside lane)

Pull over, give it a minute to cool down and then drive to the next service station.

There was NO water in the radiator (Or very little, as I was putting water in it seemed endless) it appears I have had a leak for some time now which has only just got serious, so I topped it up and it got me home fine, woke up this morning and found that there was a small puddle underneith my car, which means it is leaking a lot more quickly now.

I put some radweld into it earlier, followed the instructions and when I parked outside college a minute ago I noticed dripping just by the front left tyre, I am wondering if this would be direct from the radiator or if its possible that it dripped onto a ledge and then when i stopped lots fell off?

The engine bay seems to be wet almost all over and I thought the leak was from the middle but could be wrong.

So, how much does a new radiator cost inc installation?
have any of you tried radweld and is it any good?
Whats a good way of testing if there is a leak? (I am planning to wait until later when the car is cooled, top it up and wait to see if there is any change without driving it)

Im sure there are more questions but I am very pushed for time,

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

Joseph.

you need to check all the hoses and the water pump casing and anything connecting the hose`s ,look for stianing at the joints.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:10   #7
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
front left iis that as you look at car. so off side.
if so and the water pump is in the same place on a oil burner as petrol.
your leak could be from the water pump.
Off side as in passenger side? When looking at it from the front its the right.

How much does a water pump cost to replace and how hard is it to do?

Thank you all for the advice but this seems most hopeful in the not spending lots area.

(Also a part number on a new water pump would be good, or a general idea of how much it'll cost to get a new one replaced in a garage?)

Last edited by Joseph; 6th May 2010 at 17:24.. Reason: Forgot something.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote