Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2010, 21:53   #1
Shogo10

Rover 75 2.0 v6 connie SE

Default Vis motor question

Hi
I had my car in for a service the other day and asked if the bloke had a vis tester. He said that he hadn't heard of it but will find out.
So i got my car back and he said he found out that if the vis motors are caput that you will get the check engine light come on the dash to tell you of the fault.
Is this true are the vis motors connected to the ecu in some way to flash up the warning light???
Shogo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 21:59   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Absolute garbage.
No faults are registered when a VIS actuator fails or indeed if the butterflies within the inlet manifold which they operate fail.
VIS tester are a brand new phenomenon created by the inimitable Lates, Stocktake and BigRuss. With assistance from other illustrious members of this club.

Forgive me if I left anybody out.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 12th May 2010 at 22:04..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 22:02   #3
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

No, the MIL light will not come on if they are not working. The ECU will send the signal to move the valve, which if not working will simply not move. If the VIS valves are not working, you will be slightly down on power and slightly up on fuel consumption, but the engine will run normally and the car will drive okay. My V6 had the balance valve out and I would not have known had I not had it checked at a club meet. The difference when I replaced it was however quite noticeable.

The guy who tested mine was the world famous Stocktake, who I think lives up in Yorkshire. He is one of the members who has built a tester. A session on Testbook (the Rover dealer diagnostics system) at a former dealer will however be able to tell you this (for a fee).

Last edited by EnEnGee; 12th May 2010 at 22:04..
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:18   #4
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Also remember the mil light will normally only come on when a fault exists that causes a mixture related problem as in misfires etc
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote