Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2012, 10:07   #11
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
I got the info and addresses from the USA Honda website. I had to buy six lots to make it buyable, even then it was pretty expensive.

I haven't opened mine for years, can't afford to innit.. lol... Actually, it fell down the back of a cupboard in my shed, and I can't be bothered to shift all the junk to get to it... lmho..

BTW, don't ever spray it on Scribbler, wipe it on with a soft cloth. If you spray it, it gets in all the tiny nooks and crannies, then bleeds all down the car when it rains!!
this by any chance?

http://throwdownperformance.com/inde...9e259dd587a49d
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 16:33   #12
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

This is where I got my info from. It's a big thread and very old now, but the info's in there somewhere.. lol .

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...own.+wet+paint

This may be the same stuff, I'm not sure though..

http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/

I bought six packs, kept one, gave one to Scribbler, and sold the rest to a local valeting place for a nice profit.

But if you get some, DO NOT SPRAY IT ON!!!!!.. lol...

*Never thought I'd ever be posting on a car cleaning thread!*

Last edited by James.uk; 18th June 2012 at 16:51..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 20:30   #13
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I think we need a bit of a terminology clarification...

A 'polish' is not a top coat, its a preparation stage product. Its a product that goes between a compounding/sanding stage and a top coat wax or sealant. Its usually a cleaning or refining stage that brings out the shine, but doesnt offer a strong level of protection. Some, like Super Resin Polish, contain fillers that fill in swirl marks making the paint look better, but only mask problems.

As long as the paint is free from swirls marks or embedded grit almost any top coat, however cheap, will make it look great, but it wont last or give the ideal effect for your paint type.

The best products these days can last a couple of years and are harder than your paint, so prevent scratches. Examples are CarPro C-Quartz, Optimum Opti-coat and Concours car care Ceramisheild. All 3 are ceramic crosslinking hard coats, and are about £40 for a cars worth.

There are some less durable, but similar products such as Permanon and Wolfs Chemicals Nano Body Wrap. These last up to a year with the right maintenance (usually needed a quick detailing top up every now and then).

All of these products are FAR more durable and protecting than any wax or synthetic resin sealant. They are also especially good on light colours and lighter metallics because they bring out the metal flakes so well, something waxes mask. The key trait of these products ois the extreme hydrophobic properties they have. Water simply cannot stick and runs off in sheets, beading is very very tight and as i said it will do this for a few years. They arent like the rip-off dealer applied coatings like Supagard..

Generally speaking of you have a dark car you want to use a natural wax, its brings out depth. Use a glaze under it for even more depth.

If you have a light car use a synthetic, it will prevent the 'warming' of the colour that a natural wax will create. They also bring out metallic flakes.

Its difficult to recommend any product until its known how much effort you want to put in to it. The ceramic products are fantastic, BUT need a LOT of prep work before application!

Ive seen that 'wet Paint' stuff before, its sold under a number of names. Its ok, but real detailers will scoff at it because its just a sealant/glaze that contains massive amounts of filler oils. It will leave the paint looking shiney, but not truly clarified and jewelled. Its a cheat, and you can see it.

This video is an example of what Ceramisheild can do. Left side ceramisheild, right side a premium wax, both after 30 washes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcpG5...layer_embedded

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 18th June 2012 at 20:41..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 09:29   #14
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Some good info there.

Whats the best polish? Personally I think it was Lech Walesa
Old 21st June 2012, 09:15   #15
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

As stated a polish is a prep stage no longevity it then needs topping.
However the term polish often gets used as of old for even waxing.

FK1000P i have found to be good especially for silver.
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:33   #16
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Indeed it is!

Old 21st June 2012, 12:10   #17
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Yep Silver really really does get something from FK1000P, it really does add a nice gloss to it.
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 00:34   #18
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. But for silvers, I agree with Rovex; synthetics all the way.

I use a teflon based sealant and it works extremely well on my Starlight Silver ZT. A quick spritz with Meguiars #135 between applications keeps the level of bling up.

My weapons of choice for the 75 (Royal Blue) were One Grand Omega Glaze, followed by their Blitz Wax or Prima Banana Gloss if I was in a hurry.
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:21   #19
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts

As said different people have different views on polish. I use Turtle Wax ICE on the Banana. Blue Thunder had a Teflon based polish applied back in April and it still shines.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:57   #20
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Yeah everyone wants different things from car care products. I found Turtle Wax Ice to be awful. It was shiny, but not very luminous and it didnt do anything for silver at all. It also had poor beading and what beading it did have lasted about a week.

If you want durability, protection and extreme water beading nothing can beat the ceramic coatings, but really you need to machine compound and polish your car first, and use a bodyshop safe finishing polish, so that there is nothing between them and the paint. If you have none of the gear now its going to cost about £160 to do it.

It should be noted that Teflon is useless as an ingredient in car polishes/waxes. It cannot bond to the paint in that form, Dupont have said so and dont approve of its use in any product that claims it does (in the same way that they dont approve of its use in Slick50), however it might act as lubricant for easy removal, but it wont get left behind on the paint. Thats not to say that any product with it in is bad, but its just marketing.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 23rd June 2012 at 11:04..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote