Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th August 2009, 19:51   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Cool box operation

This is a question to any of you who use a 12 volt cool box in the boot of your car.

Prior to our annual migration to sunny-ish Devon, I decided to put our new cool-box to the test and ran it for 24 hours.

To be frank, the resultant temperature was something of a disappointment. The interior was best described as "luke-cool" so to speak. Certainly not what I'd describe as cold, as in, a suitable temperature to store cold drinks, salad, etc.

I was wondering what other members opinions might be.

Does one perhaps, put frozen chiller blocks in overnight prior to assist in temperature reduction and then freshly frozen chiller blocks on the day of travel, along with the food and drinks?

Your thoughts most welcome please
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:01   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

You ran it for twenty four hours?! The noise mine made drove me mad! I guess though that if you put ice packs and food and drinks that are already cold it may maintain the temperature. When I go camping I always use a normal cool box and put in about six kilograms of ice and that makes canned drinks super chilled so I suppose this method could also be used if you put food in big sandwich bags. I've done that. Ususally after 12 to 15 hours its mainly still ice.
Old 17th August 2009, 20:01   #3
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Much the same experience so tend to...... put frozen chiller blocks in overnight prior to assist in temperature reduction and then freshly frozen chiller blocks on the day of travel, along with the food and drinks
Old 17th August 2009, 20:02   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
This is a question to any of you who use a 12 volt cool box in the boot of your car.

Prior to our annual migration to sunny-ish Devon, I decided to put our new cool-box to the test and ran it for 24 hours.

To be frank, the resultant temperature was something of a disappointment. The interior was best described as "luke-cool" so to speak. Certainly not what I'd describe as cold, as in, a suitable temperature to store cold drinks, salad, etc.

I was wondering what other members opinions might be.

Does one perhaps, put frozen chiller blocks in overnight prior to assist in temperature reduction and then freshly frozen chiller blocks on the day of travel, along with the food and drinks?

Your thoughts most welcome please
Hi Raistlin,Had much the same with a "cool" box ran it for a few hours and as you say got luke cool I found putting Ice blocks in did not make that much difference to the overall coolness.The one I had you had to make sure that the cooling fan out let was unobstructed.Its one of those things that didnt live up to its expectations!

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:20   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Yes the standard ones have such a small Peltier module that they can at best keep things coolish. Getting things cold in the first place isn't going to happen

You need a better one with a bigger module, or a compressor or chemical one to work any better.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:21   #6
Steady-Eddie
Avid contributor

2004 75 CDTi, Conn SE

It's best not to keep it in the boot. We leave ours on the back seat and it keeps stuff lovely and cold. One of the good things about it is, that it's got a battery sensor on it that detects when the battery drops to a certain voltage and turns itself off to save flattening the battery. One of the best things I've bought from Halfrauds.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:38   #7
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

I have never had one, and now yoiu give it the thumbs down unlikley to get one.

Thanks for that

MG.
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:59   #8
Steady-Eddie
Avid contributor

2004 75 CDTi, Conn SE

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165657
This is the one we use. Even had ice forming in it while we were away camping in July. Only downside to it is water dripping from the condensing unit. easily solved though by putting a small tupperware box under it to catch any drips.
Old 18th August 2009, 07:06   #9
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

I have one in the boot cost about £30 from Argos and would not be without it. Keeps drinks etc. lovely and chilled. I bought it to use for the Cosford meet. I also use it if I pop out lunchtime from work & get some chilled products for tea. I guess it's down to the effectiveness of the box and it's quality. Also as the instructions say don't pack the box jammed full air must be allowed to circulate through the stuff you have in there. :lol:

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 07:38   #10
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

The cool box needs to dissipate heat in order to provide the cooling. The boot of the car will be warm and get warmer from the heat given off by the box thereby reducing the cooling effect - needs to be kept somewhere where the heat is less, i.e. inside the car especially with the a/c on.
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote