Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: The North West
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th May 2011, 00:41   #1
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Default Colwyn Convoy-meeting. :) reports-pics..

Well on arriving at the Romper the weather was pretty awfull, and we had rain showers.

Mick (I am going to call him Mick coz I can't remember his name, sounds awfull I know, but we did end up with about sixteen peeps so I was bound to get confuzzled innit ) anyway he was already there in his silver 75 estate car and he had a very cute lil 4 month old Collie puppy with him..

Robert (Frank Incensed) showed up soon after I got there in his Red Contemporary Estate, so at 1 PM we set off for the Hollow Tree.

At the Hollow tree there were four more cars waiting, two of which belonged to Scouse.. A black MG and the now infamous "S" reg weggie bloo from the Isle of Wight..

So the seven of us set off for Colwyn with me out front, (coz no one else would do it).. At that time it was still raining on and off..

Bearing in mind we were on the M56 doing 70 mph (ish) the "convoy" got very spread out and other cars got mixed in with us all the way along, so it got hard to keep check on the cars behind, en route the silver estate shot by me to take the lead and I followed him untill we got onto the coast road at Colwyn, I then took over as I knew the way. And -- the rain had gone...

Erm, prob was, I forgot the lamp post number Jules posted. And the place i wanted to park in was closed off due to coastal erosion work. So I led everyone down to the pier and we all parked up there..

Once parked, I called Jules on my "new" M/bile and as he was just up the road, he arrived a couple of mins later to join the group.

At that point two cars were missing, the two belonging to Scouce. So Jules walked back to the appropriate lamp post to see if they were there, but they were not. Fortunately we spotted them going by and flagged them down so they eventually rejoined the group.

We then had a chat, nosied at each others cars, ate loads of dough nuts kindly supplied by Robert and his good lady and I got to eat one of Jule's Jaffa cakes! Yayy, at some point, Isabel, Mrs Jules, arrived and joined in the festivities. And it was very nice to see her again...

My friend Jean stayed in my car to keep a close eye on Muppet the lil Bishon monster-dog and only brought him out on a very strong lead now and then so he could annoy Mick's puppy...

It was very interesting car wise as we had two very rare cars with us, namely the "S" reg weggie bloo belonging to Scouse, one of the very first of the 75's ever made, and Roberts Red Contemporary, one of the last to leave the factory before it finally closed.

I need to go back in time a bit now -- When we got to the Hollow tree, scouse told me his car was leaking water around the driver side footwell, so I said we would have a look at it when we got to Colwyn.

At Colwyn it transpired that both of his cars had water in the plenum box!!
Fortunately we had Jules on hand and before I knew what was going on Jules had both car bonnets up and was using a windscreen wiper blade to rod the escape holes on the MG, so much water came out that it ran out from under the car rear, across the prom, across a walkway, and over the sea wall!!

Jules then moved onto the "S" reg, only to make a remarkable discovery!! The plenum box on that car has a central bulkhead!! Thus effectively making it two separate plenum boxes!

The Drivers side had water in it, but with only a wiper blade as a prod, Jules was unable to get to the bung hole that side, but did manage to make sure the passenger side with the ECU in it was clear and dry.

I have some pics of the plenum bulk head taken by Jules, and other pics of the meeting and cars in general that I will post up as soon as i can sort them out and upload them to Photobucket...

All in all it was a lovely afternoon out, and for Scouse, a very lucky escape for both cars ECU's Thanks to Jules!!!

In conclusion, I would like to thank all those who came to the meeting for making it such a memorable and enjoyable afternoon out.... Thank you....

Last edited by James.uk; 16th May 2011 at 00:47..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 06:34   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Sounds like you had a very eventful day James, thanks for the write up. Can't wait to see those pics
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 07:04   #3
stevo snr
Loves to post

Rover 75Mk2 Saloon Conn SE CDTi

Thanks to James for organising the run and thanks to Joules for sorting out my leaf trap and bonnet release.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:50   #4
Scouse1958
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 Dealer Launch

Thank You James for organising the trip and the nice day and to Jules as well for looking and saving the 2 units in the passaenger side

Paul
Scouse1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:04   #5
bobgrice
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8t

Talking

Enjoyed the drive it was good to put faces to names

bob
bobgrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:55   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

Pics as promised.

First, the sea front showing all the work in progress..

Now a few pics of the cars.....

The Blue MG belongs to Jules, my lil dog is watching me from my car window (he can't escape coz he's chained to the gear lever!), and Roberts car is hiding at the end...

The oldest and newest Cars..... Also in the pic, from left to right.. Tim (Mick) Scouse, Jules and Robert..

Jules with his Rodder and some of the dough nuts supplied by Robert and his Mrs.. Please note, Jules is wearing a glove, it wasn't really that cold a day.. heh heh..

The water trail from the MG (NO! the lil dog was NOT responsible)

The plenum box dividing bulkhead in the "S" reg........

Pic of some info about the sea front alterations. i suspect the long nose sticking out into the sea is to prevent the beach sand being swept along by longshore drift..

Last edited by James.uk; 17th May 2011 at 00:42..
Old 16th May 2011, 15:13   #7
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

I really wish I hadn't been busy this weekend. I would have loved to come.
Looks like it was a good lickle meet.

As for Jules finding that middle bulkhead. I have that in my saloon.
It stops the water sloshing but means if one drain gets bunged, that's it for that side.

Glad you had a good run out guys.

Regards Steve
Old 16th May 2011, 16:05   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

Hiya Steve.

It would seem the twin plenum's are very rare. I can't help wondering why they did it on some cars, but not many?

My car deff doesn't have one... Partition that is..

Note:- This was my first longish run since I had the car remapped by Khoas, and it seems to have improved the MPG as well as the performance. I wont know for sure till I fill up again but it's deff looking good.

Hmmm thinking about it, it was also a rather slow trip out as we were in convoy and staying well inside the speed limits, still it's all to the good innit.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:19   #9
fse73549
The Best Car In The World

Rover 75 Connie se Tourer

Can I second all the thanks James great run out. Sorry about over taking you on the way out I just got stuck in some traffic and was forced to overtake I was hoping you would shoot past me as I kept slowing down but you would get stuck in traffic as well. We must do it again perhaps to York meets or north midlands meets or even Cumbria ones it gives the cars a run out and gets other traffic saying "there seems a lots of Rover 75s out today" (perhaps).

Anyway thanks again James.

Tim (not Mick lol)
fse73549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 00:19   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

Hiya Tim.. heh heh..

I was quite happy to let you lead, much easier than having to keep an eye on you in my mirror innit..

I am going to the Yorkie meet at Rotherham in about two weeks if you fancy a chase up over the Pennines..

It's only 40 miles ish from here, but due to the twisty narrow roads normally takes me about an hour.. That means leaving this end at around 9-30 am on Saturday the 28th may 2011..

If you are interested, PM me and I will sort a meeting place out and give you my m/bile number..

Actually the McDonalds at the end of the M67 is as good a place as any..
It's just off the roundabout at the end of the Mway on the Southside, you can't miss it.. just go round the roundabout till you see it, if you miss the turn off just go round again. You shouldn't really miss it though, coz it's a duel carriageway!!.