Old 10th December 2006, 15:12   #11
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Cleaner / conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Wot
Couldn't agree more. Gliptone is a very good conditioner but also agree using a cleaner first. It's sometimes amazing what comes off even fairly clean looking seats.
Macguires products are good (USA) but Jaguar do a range approved for Connoly leather which used to be reasonably priced.
I tend to use Comma Interior clean for plastics but there are good products with a matt finish. Armour All comes to mind
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 20:36   #12
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A damp chamois leather wiped over the surfaces each week keeps the dust right down and a nice matt sheen to everything. Best of all, it costs nothing. To be honest I have for some time questioned the need for these plastic cleaners and sprays being needed, at least beyond cleaning dirty surfaces anyway. For ingrained dirt in the steering wheel AutoGlym interior shampoo with a soft nailbrush working it in gently, followed by wiping down with a damp cloth will make it look very good. Don't forget to feed the leather covering though, it needs it just as much as the seats.

For other leather surfaces my old method was diluted cleaner in a small bowel wiped over the facing, with a soft nailbrush for ingrained bits, followed by wiping off with a wet then a damp cloth, and finally feeding. I don't like using neat stuff in case of the surface colouring dissolving (a problem on older Rolls-Royce/Bentleys models) The other thing about AutoGlym shampoo is that it smells nice. Shallow eh?
Thanks for the reply Pete.
I agree with the damp cloth method for keeping the general dust down, and that is exactly what I do on the upper dash surfaces. However, the lower door trim and centre console surfaces are suffering at the hand (or more accurately feet) of three yound kids, and no amount of wiping with damp cloths have removed the marks they have managed to accrue, bless their little cotton socks! As for the nice smell quote - not shallow at all, I too prefer the interior of my car to smell nice!:lol:
Andy
Old 10th December 2006, 20:49   #13
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Hi Andy,

I haven't used anything else for a while except the AutoGlym shampoo as I find it removes shoe polish and other scuffs best for me. Quick once over with the nailbrush and it's off.

Apart from covering the doorbins with polythene though I can't think of any other way to stop children from accidentally marking them again. Apart from amputation, which they may object to.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 23:10   #14
stef_uk
Gets stuck in

ZT75

for cleaning leather and plastic i use huggies baby wipes...gets grime of like you wouldn't believe and gentle enough for babys *** too...lol
then use amorall for the plastiscs which leaves a new sheen..not a shine..yuk and for the leather i use mer leather clean,feed and conditioner....everything looks and smell fab for at least a week and thats with the school runs!!!!
stef_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 23:30   #15
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Chinese restaurant food oil!

Avoiding the details, I managed to spill the oil/source from the 'doggy bag' left over from a Chinese restaurant. Apart from massive amounts of MSG, there is food oil in the carpet.
I know little of cleaning carpets. What will get rid of the smell and clean the stain?
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 01:14   #16
crofts

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Carpet Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post

Avoiding the details, I managed to spill the oil/source from the 'doggy bag' left over from a Chinese restaurant. Apart from massive amounts of MSG, there is food oil in the carpet.
I know little of cleaning carpets. What will get rid of the smell and clean the stain?
I find Vanish aerosol foam pretty good for that type of thing..... and cloth seats also.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 10:23   #17
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hi Andy,

I haven't used anything else for a while except the AutoGlym shampoo as I find it removes shoe polish and other scuffs best for me. Quick once over with the nailbrush and it's off.

Apart from covering the doorbins with polythene though I can't think of any other way to stop children from accidentally marking them again. Apart from amputation, which they may object to.
Amputation you say......... Hmmmmm!
Old 11th December 2006, 10:52   #18
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
When I read this I thought it was a recommendation for use as a cleaning substance!! Ooops

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote