Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th September 2018, 17:21   #1
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Default Rover 75 Diesel 2002 M47 Engine

Hi Everybody
I wonder if somebody could help me out last weekend i removed the EGR valve and gave it a good clean and also the inlet manifold [very messy job] anyway all of a sudden my car has started to smell of exhaust fumes when standing still and today while i was driving it it started to splutter and hold back abit on low revs and generally doesnt feel right.
So i read on the forum you can disconnect the Maf and see if it runs any better,Well it didnt so i put it back on.
I then took it to a local garage and he put his diagnostic machine on it and it came up all these Faults P1E00 Cam Bus, P3505 Glow System ,P0110 intake air temp sensor ,P0100 air mass sensor.
Anyway he cleared all the faults after writing them down and said run it around and bring it back another day to recheck error codes.

I didnt tell him i had disconnected the Maf as probably that is why i have so many.
From the codes above any ideas before i take it back and get a big bill.

Other jobs done recently are replace air filter,Oil filter,PCV filter.

Also now it is difficult to start turning over fine but takes ages to fire.

Many thanks for your time julian

Last edited by janker; 27th September 2018 at 18:48..
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 00:49   #2
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

As you have just removed the EGR and manifold I would be looking at those areas. In particular the manifold, and the rubber O ring type gaskets between the manifold and the head. If you have misplaced one or more of those that would upset it quite a lot and could account for the smell.

Did you remember to reconnect the other sensor that goes into the side of the manifold?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 28th September 2018 at 00:55.. Reason: missed a bit
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 06:33   #3
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
As you have just removed the EGR and manifold I would be looking at those areas. In particular the manifold, and the rubber O ring type gaskets between the manifold and the head. If you have misplaced one or more of those that would upset it quite a lot and could account for the smell.

Did you remember to reconnect the other sensor that goes into the side of the manifold?
Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply,Yes i remembered to connect the sensor but i am going to remove the manifold again just to make sure no O rings have slipped and also check and clean the Map sensor while its off again,Also im going to block off the Egr tube and see,Will let you know if i find anything.

thanks julian
Old 28th September 2018, 07:45   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janker View Post
Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply,Yes i remembered to connect the sensor but i am going to remove the manifold again just to make sure no O rings have slipped and also check and clean the Map sensor while its off again,Also im going to block off the Egr tube and see,Will let you know if i find anything.

thanks julian
Which "Tube" are you refering to ? The small vacume pipe or the larger EGR pipe it's self ?

The vacume pipe needs to be sealed IE a small bolt etc pushed into it.

There should be a blanking piece already fitted on the Bypass that the larger pipe fits to..

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 10:04   #5
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Which "Tube" are you refering to ? The small vacume pipe or the larger EGR pipe it's self ?

The vacume pipe needs to be sealed IE a small bolt etc pushed into it.

There should be a blanking piece already fitted on the Bypass that the larger pipe fits to..
Hi yes ive blocked off the vacume pipe with a small screw and taped it up,Also ive removed inlet manifold again and checked seals are all ok and cleaned the Map sensor while it was off.
Took it back to the garage to read the codes after having them cleared yesterday and it is only showing one code P3505 Glow System any ideas ?? As i understand it it is possibly a relay ?? not sure where but i have checked that the ECU has no water around it and plenum is clean and dry.

many thanks for help julian
Old 28th September 2018, 10:18   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Hi yes ive blocked off the vacume pipe with a small screw and taped it up,Also ive removed inlet manifold again and checked seals are all ok and cleaned the Map sensor while it was off.
Took it back to the garage to read the codes after having them cleared
Quote:
yesterday and it is only showing one code P3505 Glow System any ideas ?? As i understand it it is possibly a relay ?? not sure where but i have checked that the ECU has no water around it and plenum is clean and dry.

many thanks for help julian
The glow plug relay is inside the ECU case one 10mm bolts holds it in, I doubt that will be your problem though, as on a T4 session that fault is almost always there, if fact some cars have removed the relay altogether with no ill effects, I personally like it to be there as it was meant to be there.

If you really wanted one then contact ( Mickyboy ) below
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=288493

If you can make our last nano meet you can get a free T4 session to pinpoint your problem correctly

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 10:49   #7
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
The glow plug relay is inside the ECU case one 10mm bolts holds it in, I doubt that will be your problem though, as on a T4 session that fault is almost always there, if fact some cars have removed the relay altogether with no ill effects, I personally like it to be there as it was meant to be there.

If you really wanted one then contact ( Mickyboy ) below
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=288493

If you can make our last nano meet you can get a free T4 session to pinpoint your problem correctly
Hi Arctic im not sure if i can make the nano meet as i have to work weekends so in the mean time i have to try find out what is causing this.
After reading lots of info on the net as you say they always show this error even when there is no issues with them,So going look for other causes,I can hear low pressure pump running fine in tank and high pressure too.

It seemes to be a lot of blue or Black smoke when reving the engine and at certain revs it seems to be holding back.

If no other sensor faults are showing up could it be the turbo ?? or something similar i could look at and try.

many thanks julian
Old 28th September 2018, 11:14   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Two things for you to check. The exhaust feed to the EGR may be leaking fumes into the underbonnet if it's not seated and sealed correctly. The other is the plastic elbow into the intercooler (the other end of the large intake pipe to the EGR) sounds like this is leaking as well. Search technical section for a how to on intercooler elbow seals.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:19   #9
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Two things for you to check. The exhaust feed to the EGR may be leaking fumes into the underbonnet if it's not seated and sealed correctly. The other is the plastic elbow into the intercooler (the other end of the large intake pipe to the EGR) sounds like this is leaking as well. Search technical section for a how to on intercooler elbow seals.
Hi Avulon ive checked the exhaust feed to egr and no leaks,i need remove the bumper this weekend to inspect the intercooler elbow from under bonnet i can feel slight oil at the bottom of large intake pipe but nothing major but will inspect properly when i remove the bumper.

One thing that is strange,normally i turn the key and my car virtually fires straight in but while having this problem at the moment i need to crank many times turning the engine over until it will fire ?? any ideas please.

thanks julian
Old 28th September 2018, 13:28   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Hi Avulon ive checked the exhaust feed to egr and no leaks,i need remove the bumper this weekend to inspect the
Quote:
intercooler elbow from under bonnet i can feel slight oil at the bottom of large intake pipe but nothing major but will inspect properly when i remove the bumper

One thing that is strange,normally i turn the key and my car virtually fires straight in but while having this problem at the moment i need to crank many times turning the engine over until it will fire ?? any ideas please.

thanks julian
If you can feel oil at the bottom of the intercooler hose 99.9% the O-rings have failed use Viton ones to replace once again these intercooler bends with Viton O-rings are already made up at the nano for fitting FOC.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote