Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th November 2006, 20:31   #1
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Default Rear stabiliser bars

Am I right in thinking that these were deleted from the facelift model? If so, should I retro-fit them?
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 20:42   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Rear anti roll bars were deleted from 1.8 and Diesel models from 2002 (thanks to Project Drive and cost cutting).

It is not just a case of retro fitting because on those cars the rear suspension set up was re-designed to compensate for the loss

What I don't know is whether they were reinstated at a later date (tho' I doubt it).

So not good news I'm afraid, unless you have a KV6.

hth

Mike
Old 9th November 2006, 20:44   #3
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Rear anti roll bars were deleted from 1.8 and Diesel models from 2002 (thanks to Project Drive and cost cutting).

It is not just a case of retro fitting because on those cars the rear suspension set up was re-designed to compensate for the loss

What I don't know is whether they were reinstated at a later date (tho' I doubt it).

So not good news I'm afraid, unless you have a KV6.

hth

Mike
Well, the handling is excellent as it is luckily...I just hate to miss out! Thanks Mike.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 09:54   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Default Rear Stabiliser bars

My grandson has these on his bike, except they have little wheels on the end!

(Sorry)
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 12:45   #5
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

I must admit I find the suspension a bit wallowy. I have an early 01 diesell so based on the comments it should have a rear bar.

I tried to find a supplier of poly bushes but can't find any. Does that mean my only option is a Rover dealer to get thicker roll bars? I presume the ZT ones are thicker . .?
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 21:07   #6
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFol View Post
I must admit I find the suspension a bit wallowy. I have an early 01 diesell so based on the comments it should have a rear bar.

I tried to find a supplier of poly bushes but can't find any. Does that mean my only option is a Rover dealer to get thicker roll bars? I presume the ZT ones are thicker . .?
If you find the suspension a bit wallowy it'll be the dampers not the roll bar.

The antiroll bars are there to inhibbit body-flex and keep everything taught. The dampers and spring combination can affect the "wallowyness" your experiencing. I'd suggest looking into upgrading the springs/dampers to a stiffer set up. I know Xpart provide these suspension upgrades but I'm unaware of their cost.

Firmer bushings will allow you to "feel" the road more effectively as more of the road "feedback" will be transmitted back into the chasis and therefore back to you.

Hope this helps!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 23:23   #7
scooter

ZT240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
If you find the suspension a bit wallowy it'll be the dampers not the roll bar.

The antiroll bars are there to inhibbit body-flex and keep everything taught. The dampers and spring combination can affect the "wallowyness" your experiencing. I'd suggest looking into upgrading the springs/dampers to a stiffer set up. I know Xpart provide these suspension upgrades but I'm unaware of their cost.

Firmer bushings will allow you to "feel" the road more effectively as more of the road "feedback" will be transmitted back into the chasis and therefore back to you.

Hope this helps!
The roll bar controls the body roll tranfering the down motion of the raised inside wheel across to the outer wheel which is being forced up by the body roll.On average a roll bar will increased the apparent spring rate on that wheel by about 20% but not make the spring rate any stifferin a straight line.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 08:56   #8
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Hi Scooter, thanks for that. I would also like the car to be flatter round corners, so it sounds like roll bars are the way to go.

So I guess it's back to the question about sourcing stiffer roll bars and/or poly bushes
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 09:08   #9
scooter

ZT240

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFol View Post
Hi Scooter, thanks for that. I would also like the car to be flatter round corners, so it sounds like roll bars are the way to go.

So I guess it's back to the question about sourcing stiffer roll bars and/or poly bushes
You have to watch what you do when you change bush material what is good for the track may not be good on the road.The car can become much more sensitive to steering input and road camber etc.Tyre wear can also increase alone with road noise, a stiffer rear bar will increase the oversteer and reduce the cars grip and traction in the wet. If the car is understeering a stiffer roll bar will help reduce it. Lots to think about before changes are made.I would guess that if the factory removed the rear bar it probably upped the rear spring rates and damper settings.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 09:42   #10
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

The diesel tends to under steer more due to the weight of the engine so adding a rear a/r bar may be good for the handling. But it might lead to the back end breaking away more suddenly. (I've 'lost' both ends on greasy bends as it is!)

I am going to try some ZT rear dampers (later softer ones) to my 75 (it has the rear a/r bar) to see how they affect the handling. No doubt after 4yrs and 103k miles the orginal springs and dampers are getting a bit tired.

Aftermarket springs are available but they lower the ride by 35mm. Ground clearance is already marginal (this maybe due to the tired springs) so I'm not willing to lower it.

Ron
Roverron is offline   Reply With Quote