Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2017, 20:15   #11
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

I've heard it said that the earlier carpets are thicker than their Project Drive counterparts, although I suspect this refers only to the fibrous upper layer (or pile), as the foam/sponge sections would have to fit all variants of the cars similarly.

I haven't yet removed the Project Drive carpet from my car, so can't really comment on its thickness, but I have one from a 1999 car sitting in the shed, ready for fitting (whenever time allows). The main difference I can see is in the quality of the pile, with the early carpet having a woven look and the Project Drive carpet having a more fibrous (or hairy) look .

I think the earlier type carpet was fitted to all cars up to about 2002 or early 2003, as I've seen some 75s in breakers' yards about that age with the earlier looking carpets in place (although, I stand to be corrected on this ).

I've attached a few photos of each for comparison: IMAGE 1: Early carpet | IMAGE 2: Project Drive carpet | IMAGE 3: Early carpet | IMAGE 4: Project Drive carpet.

Please excuse the state of my fitted carpet - I have the rear seat out at the moment, but the carpet hasn't been cleaned in a while, and probably won't be, now .

Cheers,
Karl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3236.jpg (125.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3238.jpg (132.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3237.jpg (116.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3239.jpg (125.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by The Mighty Quinn; 12th December 2017 at 20:19..
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:11   #12
Parisien
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon 2006, MG ZT 190+ 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
Yeah, the carpet and sponge come as one and it’s fairly straightforward to remove. Just try to remember where all the screws go!

All the lower interior trim needs to be popped off, or out (carpet sill trims, heater closure panels, driver’s footrest, lower A and B post trims); front seats out; rear seat cushion up; seatbelt lower bolts undone; remove gaiters and surrounds for handbrake and gear lever; stereo and centre console out (there’s a plug to disconnect the electronics of the centre console at the front near the passenger cup holder, once you lift the console up a little - no need to undo the hazard switches etc.); and take out the the gear lever, if auto (pulls straight up and out - be careful not to injure yourself at this, as it comes undone abruptly).

At this stage, you’ll need to wiggle the carpet out from under the dash trim at the bulkhead and then loosen up remaining portions of the carpet (be very careful not to rip the carpet when you’re wooling at it - quite easy to tear, particularly near the gear lever opening in the centre).
Shove the rear air vents (located under the front seats) through their carpet openings and then you’ll be ready to carefully remove the carpet through the driver side rear door (folding driver and passenger sides of the carpet up and together, to let it out).

Think that’s the most of it. I’ve done this twice now, but I would certainly suggest a second pair of hands for the removal part, especially if the carpet is wet (that sponge can hold many gallons of water!).

Good luck,
Karl.

Karl/guys, useful info on this thread, just laid my hands on a 2002 ZT 190+, passenger side carpet waterlogged, any other hints re seat removal or detaching any other wiring, connectors I need to know about, never done this before, hoping the son can provide an extra pair of hands on Sunday

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 21:54   #13
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisien View Post
Karl/guys, useful info on this thread, just laid my hands on a 2002 ZT 190+, passenger side carpet waterlogged, any other hints re seat removal or detaching any other wiring, connectors I need to know about, never done this before, hoping the son can provide an extra pair of hands on Sunday

P
Hi Frank,

It's a pretty nerve-wracking job to tackle for the first time, but don't be afraid of it - just make sure you undo the battery for at least 30 minutes before messing around with any airbag connectors (that's what I've always heard, anyway).

Best advice is to just take your time and work through it methodically - drop a message on here if you get stuck with anything. Seats are the first item to get out - leaves lots more room for everything else thereafter..

I've put together a few pics in the attached PDF which cover most of the main items, from memory. Hopefully someone else will chip in for any items I've forgotten

If the carpet is obviously wet, it will be VERY heavy and awkward to move (get help and be careful not to rip it) - and it will take weeks, maybe even months, to dry out thoroughly.

Good luck,
Karl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REMOVING CARPET.pdf (1.44 MB, 37 views)
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 12:16   #14
Parisien
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon 2006, MG ZT 190+ 2002

Hi Karl,

Thank you once again, very useful, on checking further and doing several newspaper/weights compressions, it's maybe not as bad as we thought, decided to remove front seat only lift passengers side up, attempt drying using heater blower plus small dehumidifier, see how it goes

Cheers

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 13:52   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Thinking of changing my ash grey/smokestone interior to sandstone/beige.
Intend buying something every few weeks until i have complete set ready for change in warmer times. Can't buy it all in one go,poor pensioner. Seen a sand stone carpet for sale,just wondering if the carpet is permanently attached to sponge.

Cheapest way would probably be to buy a scrapper, strip out everything you need, flog off any good bits and weigh in the rest.
Did that when I needed a new bonnet and when everything was added up the bonnet was free.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote