Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th December 2018, 19:47   #1
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default When the Rover (Connie CDTi) moves over?

I've had a generally great experience driving a manual and then an auto cdti Connie estate last 4 years. Coming into the retirement zone now and thinking about spending up to 10K on a car to get me regulalrly and comfortably up and down motorways from Newcastle to Stoke (family stuff) as well as the everyday work run (30 miles). I'd like to get an estate that's maybe a bit lower tax wise but robust and preferably with a bit of something to make me smile..which the Connie certainly has. Ideas?
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 20:29   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

sorry you want to spend upto 10k to save on tax?
your connie makes you smile.
to help with suggestions what do you want that the connie does not have?

jaguar xf Tourer, X Type Tourer? Sorry no idea what the tax is

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 20:39   #3
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Octavia VRS?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onsored&page=1
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 21:05   #4
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
sorry you want to spend upto 10k to save on tax?
your connie makes you smile.
to help with suggestions what do you want that the connie does not have?

jaguar xf Tourer, X Type Tourer? Sorry no idea what the tax is

macafee2

I've never spent any money on a car really, so I'd say that spending a bit of money is part reward and part wanting something quieter, more economical and with that bit of sn increase in reliability that a newer carm with newer components would ( I assume) have. If I can save a few quid per year on road tax along the way that'd be good. As I say, I have enjoyed the CDTi. I'd like some of the above - and a bit of character and refinement. If I can find something that feels as good to drive as the CDT1 does at 15 years old I'd be lucky and happy.
Old 13th December 2018, 21:12   #5
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post

Ta, Looks nice and in budget. Think I'll lean towards an auto having enjoyed that experience over last couple of years. Other cars I've looked into so far are the Leon estate and Volvo V60. Mate recommended the Seat Exea, which is so rare it doesn't show up in autotrader,
Old 13th December 2018, 21:28   #6
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Honda Accord? or a CRV.
Old 14th December 2018, 09:24   #7
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
Ta, Looks nice and in budget. Think I'll lean towards an auto having enjoyed that experience over last couple of years. Other cars I've looked into so far are the Leon estate and Volvo V60. Mate recommended the Seat Exea, which is so rare it doesn't show up in autotrader,
Seat Exeo.
Rebadged Audi A4 from a few years back, nice car too. The VW Tdi in its many forms and variants is a great engine - despite the emissions scandal!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 13:37   #8
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, I’m going through a similar decision process. I don’t know whether to keep my 75 estate by putting it in my garage to do up slowly, or sell. I will by a Skoda Octavia estate with either the 1.6 or 2.0 110 or 150bhp engine. Could be tempted by a 4motion. Not interested in having an adblue car .
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 14:00   #9
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

It is permitted to own a R75 after retirement! I have been retired for 10 years & as I use it for family long journeys & I've just returned from the annual Xmas deliveries to grandkids, 470 mile round trip in pure comfort & without a hitch & fresh as a daisy on arrival.

Why not spend the cash on a runaround, we have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel which we bought last May, three years old, for £7750, 70 mpg, zero road tax, & will be suitable for long journeys too. The 3 cylinder engine is a bit noisy from outside & I can't get along with the start-stop & it tends to tell the driver how to drive but otherwise it seems a good one.

For long journeys the Rover can't be beaten IMO, mines a Classic CDTi, worth hardly anything if I was to sell it so until it starts to become unreliable I will keep it, although climbing under it for maintenance is becoming more of a problem

I also have an MG TF for summer use
Old 14th December 2018, 17:39   #10
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
It is permitted to own a R75 after retirement! I have been retired for 10 years & as I use it for family long journeys & I've just returned from the annual Xmas deliveries to grandkids, 470 mile round trip in pure comfort & without a hitch & fresh as a daisy on arrival.

Why not spend the cash on a runaround, we have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel which we bought last May, three years old, for £7750, 70 mpg, zero road tax, & will be suitable for long journeys too. The 3 cylinder engine is a bit noisy from outside & I can't get along with the start-stop & it tends to tell the driver how to drive but otherwise it seems a good one.

For long journeys the Rover can't be beaten IMO, mines a Classic CDTi, worth hardly anything if I was to sell it so until it starts to become unreliable I will keep it, although climbing under it for maintenance is becoming more of a problem

I also have an MG TF for summer use

I had the back box replaced last week and have to say she's going like a rocket. I'm in no big rush to move on. Unfortunately, no garage do I need a do everything car. She's done 150k already and post new backbox feels like she might do the same again. Guy who replaced the spring told me to hang on to her. I'm going to do some test drives. If I don't find something that feels much better I 'll leave the pension pot to simmer a bit longer.