Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2014, 17:49   #1
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts
Default Most dangerous spring compressor...?

We own Rovers on bad roads so most of us will need a spring compressor set unless we are wealthy enough to be able to pay the man to do it for us...
Here are a couple of tips I have gleaned over the years, some learned from painful experience!!
Whether this is the first time you are trying it or just another bite of the apple, I hope there is something here that may help you..

1, NEVER undo the strut top nut before you remove the strut from the car.
2, NEVER remove the strut top nut before you have compressed the spring so it does not put pressure on the top bearing.
3, Do not do any of this with kids around or in a place where the spring can go flying and hit someone.
4, if you have a bench vice, use it to hold the middle coil in the spring when you load it down, if anything does let go it will help limit the headcount for the ambulance!!
Try to have any replacement parts you need to hand so you can get the assembly back together and the top nut back on in as short a time as possible.
Short of licking the battery terminals this is probably one of the most dangerous jobs the home mechanic will do, so think, don't rush and use the best tools you can find.
Speaking of which the spring compressors are the most critical bit for this job.
There are cheap ones, middle of the road ones and some real top kit which costs a fortune, for the home mechanic the middle of the road ones are fine.
Here are the ones I have used before...

Type 1 are the real cheap and nasty's, prone to bending and slipping I would not use them again.

Type 2 are with a hook for stability, they are better and stronger than type 1 but can still slip if you are not careful.

Type 3 are the best I have come across... they are very strong and with the double claw they are not likely to slip in use, I am confident using these on most springs.

If you are using the single claw types (1 or 2) then I would use at least 3 compressors per spring, this is for 2 reasons...
1, if 1 lets go the other 2 may save your hands
2, 3 spread at 120 degrees allows you to steer the top of the spring far easier when you are re assembling the strut, if you only use 2 on a spring you may find it going off at an angle making it harder to get the top plate on and the top nut in place which makes the job safer.
My final tip is make sure the top nut is fully on the thread with 2-3 turns of male thread on show above the nut before you release the compressors, if you only have a couple of turns on then you may strip the thread when the load of the spring goes back on to the top plate.

I have just bought a pair of the type 3 double hook variety from my local motor factors for 15.00 so they are well within most budgets when doing this job.

Have fun..!

Last edited by klarzy; 31st July 2014 at 12:01..
klarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:00   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Yep, a fun task it is.

I've got a set of your number 3's which I would also recommend to the DIY mechanic. However you can still pay very little for a set. I personally wouldn't even consider using either of the other two. Too dangerous even for my liking...

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:10   #3
Darkxs
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 CDT Mk1

I've got a set shown as no.3 and they are great. Get me through a few cars and springs jobs and never slipped or caused any issues.

Einhundertsechzig
Darkxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:17   #4
spider13
Avid contributor

rover 75 1.8t x2 mgf 1.8

I have 2 differant types of spring compressor 1 is a sealy stand up device which holds the hole strut and 2 is a snap on set which are hard to describe but are thebest money can buy, and I know what pain I like after having mymjaw broke in 4 places from a spring years ago off a pug 406
Steve
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:23   #5
spider13
Avid contributor

rover 75 1.8t x2 mgf 1.8

I have 2 differant types of spring compressor 1 is a sealy stand up device which holds the hole strut and 2 is a snap on set which are hard to describe but are thebest money can buy, and I know what pain I like after having mymjaw broke in 4 places from a spring years ago off a pug 406

2014-03-16-19-19-57-516449851.jpegSteve
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:32   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

A very helpful post Peter; thank you. You might be interested to know this though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
If you are using the single claw types (1 or 2) then I would use at least 3 compressors per spring ...
I recently used 3 single claw compressors (in fact your type 2) on Mrs. SD1too's car's Macpherson struts. No matter how I tried, one of them always slipped. However, when I used just two of these tools, I succeeded. The spring in question was not from a 75/ZT and was side loaded. I had not come across these before, but in its relaxed position the spring adopts the shape of a banana.

I only mention this to show that there is usually an exception to every rule!

Simon
Old 16th March 2014, 18:35   #7
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

The best advise is get someone else to do it if you have any of these mickey mouse spring compressors. I have a big compressor thats bolted to the floor and I still hate doing them. I have a cage on mine and its 20ton hydraulic ram so will compress anything but it still scares me everytime I have to do one. This is the one job I would not recommended for any diy mechanic to do. Dose not mater how skint you are I cant stress how important it is to get someone with the right tools and know how to change springs top strutt mounts. If you get it wrong and it goes horribly wrong it can result in death or serious injury. I have seen the serious injury and its not nice a yoing lad lost half his face his eye.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 18:55   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.
I hope this just goes a little way to stopping someone getting hurt..
How often to we see internet sales sending tools out to people who have no real idea of their use or the dangers involved. If I did this in the factories I cover then I would probably be prosecuted.
Old 16th March 2014, 19:05   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.
I hope this just goes a little way to stopping someone getting hurt..
How often to we see internet sales sending tools out to people who have no real idea of their use or the dangers involved. If I did this in the factories I cover then I would probably be prosecuted.
I just use cable ties and ratchet straps personally, no need for fancy tools

Just kidding, my spring compressors are made by the Ram manufacturing company, and I use two sets and compress the spring evenly, using a piece of old hosepipe split to protect the powder coating from damage during the compression stages.

I always have a healthy respect for the stored energy in compressed springs, but Sean's comment bring to mind the antics of a member going by the name of humptynumpty, now there was an accident waiting to happen

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 19:13   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

I always have a healthy respect for the stored energy in compressed springs, but Sean's comment bring to mind the antics of a member going by the name of humptynumpty, now there was an accident waiting to happen

Brian
Hi. Is he still around? I used to cringe with some of his posts