Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th April 2020, 14:50   #21
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Advice on door copertaion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
HI Steve DOOR is OPEN! followed your instructions and whilst operating lever gave the interior handle cable a firm yank and bingo the door lock cracked and space was available!!! Thanks again
Hi Steve Thanks to your help everything is now back in place but with some reservations plus some questions to points made from many Forum members that I don't understand,
First every post (relating to door cards and lock mech replacement) states that on replacement of door card the centre clip with have to be removed from car, and refitted to door card. They even post photos of pliers being used for the job.
But my centre clip is revited to car door, so it stays firmly fitted??(2002 connie)

Secondly no mention is made that the door interior handle cable has to be swopped over from old unit to replacement, the same goes for the actuating lever plus the plunger rod.

So far I'm at the point where cables and levers have been swopped around(The length of the actuating lever input rod I measured prior to removal at 9cm)I mention this in case anyone has the exact length if there is one?
The door lock mechanism is in place and works fine on the fob
I have yet to fit door card and interior handle plus door electrics.
Although the mechanism works fine on the fob, the door remains shut and will not open on the exterior handle. A slight nudge on the lever you pointed out to me and the door opens fine.

So before I go to all the trouble of refitting door card and components, do I have to do any adjustments or will it all work out, once all the gear is back in place?
Thanks once again
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 21:55   #22
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

This post may help with rod adjustment. (Once card is off.)

If the rod adjustment (white plastic clip) is out, the handle will not open the door.
You can test lock/unlock with door open by pushing a rod or screwdriver where the door latch pin would close the mechanism when closing the door.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 5th April 2020 at 21:59..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 10:26   #23
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Hi Thanks for reply, the white rod is in place and with a very slight upwards movement opens the door.
The link didn't really help(thanks) as I have been through all that and reassembled and lubricated all of the new mechanism.
My problem is that with the door card off and all the other components to fit as well as the door card,( I don't want to go through all the trouble of refitting only to find the same problem).why is it the outer handle will not open the door, where as a slight touch on the actuator rod immediately opens the door, does the rod require adjustment, does anybody know what the length of the rod should be when fitted to ensure smooth unlocking???
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 6th April 2020 at 10:31.. Reason: format
Old 6th April 2020, 10:58   #24
roverbarmy
This is my second home

See Trikeys suggestions in the link for setting up the rod. From memory he operates the external doors handle a few times to settle it before setting up. (Probably needs more thread showing to shorten the action and take out slop.) Sorry but on phone only at present. Test before refitting door card with rod or screwdriver as suggested earlier.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited by roverbarmy; 6th April 2020 at 12:15..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 12:25   #25
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Thanks I think you could be right as that was my next step ,to check for slack in the rod and shorten it by undoing the lower clip and repositioning the rod.

Just of curiosity I was 80 last week and this job is doing my knees in!!!!!!But Rovers have been my life although I have laid this one up on the DVLA Sorn record until such time we get the use of our roads back, but at least it gives me time to get the odd jobs done!!
Old 6th April 2020, 12:42   #26
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Thanks I think you could be right as that was my next step ,to check for slack in the rod and shorten it by undoing the lower clip and repositioning the rod.

Just of curiosity I was 80 last week and this job is doing my knees in!!!!!!But Rovers have been my life although I have laid this one up on the DVLA Sorn record until such time we get the use of our roads back, but at least it gives me time to get the odd jobs done!!
I feel your pain! Repairing the master cylinder on my Conny SE killed my left knee to the point that I bought an auto. Replacing the front offside door actuator on the same car had my knees and hips in agony for a week! The front offside is even more complicated and I misaligned the "dogs bone" link rod from the key to the actuator, so had to start over! I'm 70 next year and wonder how many more years I can crawl under and around the Rover!
Old 6th April 2020, 17:36   #27
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Been there done that, but more power to your elbow!!!!!Keep at it Rover 75,s have a habit of keeping you feeling young!!And like you its the actuator lever that's giving me stick n my Connie, its just as you say you are on your knees and that bit about your thighs and hips(isn't that painful???) , working in a cramped place, little light, and although I have replaced the lock mechanism which now works fine from the fob, for some reason I just cant seem to get the length of the actuator rod to enable me to open door form outside!!
Although I came across this today which might help:

Another fault is that the exterior handle won't open the door. There is a small arm link the handle to a rod and to the latch. This arm is made from plastic, after sometime, the tip will wear out making it too short to release the latch. All you need is to adjust the other end of the rod with the holder. If you bury the whole end of the rod in the plastic holder, your door will probably refuse to lock at all. Try to stick out the rod a bit from the holder, your door can lock, and you can open it from both inside and outside. However, if you lock the door with the remote control or from the inside central lock, you won't be able to unlock it from both inside and outside. Try to stick out the rob more, until you can open the door both inside and outside and the remote/central locking won't affect it. Mark this point as A. Further stick out the rod, until a point that you can't open the door from outside, but you can do it from inside. This is the point B. Finally, adjust the rod to the mid point of A and B. That's it

I shall give it go tomorrow and see if it works!
Old 14th April 2020, 10:54   #28
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I Derek.
Open the doors as per usual with fob, climb into the car reach inside the door as you say you have the door card off pic below.

Once you have your hand inside push or Pull on the lever with the three yellow dots see if the door opens

Is the internal door handle still attached ?
Good morning Steve, Parts arrived just 10 minutes ago, cannot thank you enough ,itching to get out to the car and finish the job off. Take care my friend and will let you know the outcome best Regards Derek