Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2008, 18:53   #1
Lysdexic

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto (Mk1), MG ZT 2Litre CDTI Diesel Manual (Mk2)

Location: Slap bang in the middle of Scotland on a farm near Stirling.
Default Testers Required for my Print Webby

Lo all,

I have recently purchased a spinky 44" Epson Inkjet printer with the intention of providing a print service for digital photographers.

My main business is web site design, so I have tailored the print service for internet use - in other words, I've knocked up a customised webby for it.

At present the site only works with Internet Explorer and PayPal integration has been disabled (specifically to allow for fixing & testing).

If anyone would like to nip up to the site and run through the various steps, I would be extremely grateful for any feeback (good or bad).

The site is at http://www.print-zone.com

If you have IE 7, please add the site to your 'Trusted Sites Zone'.

Click on the 'Start Here' menu option and select from Poster Prints or Canvas Prints.

What it does do:
Runs on a windozzzze based PC with IE 6 or 7 (and most IE based variants).
Allows the user to choose between a Poster print or a Canvas print (stretched over a pine frame).
Allows the user to navigate to the location on their PC where their digital files live.
Accepts .jpg files that are bigger than 1MegaPixels in size, and gives a preview on-screen.
Gives a running total of the cost, print size, etc, etc.
Help system works (where appropriate).
Upload System with dynamic feed-back works.

What it doesn't do:
Run on a non-PC machine or on a non-IE browser.
The 'Media' menu option is a bit broken at present.
The 'Frames and Mounts' menu option isn't implemented yet.
There are no tutorials at present, but there will be soon.
Vinyl prints and Custom Prints are disabled for now.

Please post any feedback here, or send an email to [email protected]

@ Forum Admin
If this post is in breach of any forum rules, please accept my apologies and neuk the post asap - I'll go stand in the corner for the rest of the lesson
Lysdexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 19:00   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Don't think it's against forum rules, pretty certain if it would not be for subscribed members

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 19:02   #3
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Don't see why it is against the rules - you are not trying to "trade" at all - so happy testing

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 22:09   #4
Simon
Banned

-

Although the site looks very swish I think it's problem is that it relies too much on client-side scripting. You obviously have PHP server-side scripting at your disposal so in my humble honest opinion I would be inclined to use PHP's built-in file sever system to upload and catch all the necessary information about the file that you need and report back to the user via a self-submitting POST form. I see you also use AJAX so this would help with not having to reload the page everytime the user made a selection change.

Relying on the server-side scripting would eliminate any reliance on any browser dependancies and allow for multi-browser, multi-platform compatibility. By all means use Javascript to help validate forms client-side for ease of use but do not rely on it as many users disable Javascript (at least for unknown sites) and I would not allow ANY website into my Trusted list due to Internet Explorers inherent flaw that it is far too integrated into the operating system for my to be happy at granting a web-based application free access (hence I don't use IE )

Of course, this is just my opinion and please don't let this deter you from a potentially brilliant business venture.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 08:17   #5
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Not test related but... I noticed you can do vinyl prints. Are these done with solvent ink for printing on any vinyl suitable for outside, or done on the printable specific vinyl with the normal ink? I only ask as about 18months ago I looked into having some pictures done of plants in our garden for the children to set up growing areas. They worked out too pricey for what I wanted and gave up the idea but if you did solvent printing I'd get a quote when you are up and running.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:03   #6
Lysdexic

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto (Mk1), MG ZT 2Litre CDTI Diesel Manual (Mk2)

Location: Slap bang in the middle of Scotland on a farm near Stirling.

@ Simon

Yep, all good valid comments, and when I get a standards compliant version sorted out (which will work with any browser), it will be driven by php server side with minimal client side stuff.

However, the IE version will still be used for all the flavours of IE, with an option to use the standards compliant version for IE7 if the user prefers.

There are 2 main reasons for concentrating on IE and the intensive client side code.

The first (and most important) reason is because of limited server space I have at present. This will be fixed when I transfer everything over to a dedicated PC with its own ip address.

Using a standards compliant approach would mean uploading the file to the server FIRST, then sending a thumbnail back to the client. If the user decided to forget the whole thing, I end up with a redundant file on my server, taking up precious space, (file sizes could easily be greater than 5MB, so the available space would get eaten up pretty quickly if the site became popular).

IE has the ability to interrogate a file from the client HD. This can be done with no problems in IE 5.5 and IE 6, but the site needs to be included in the 'Trusted Sites Zone' in IE7 to achieve the same result. Since the site will be promoted in national photography magazines, I hope this would carry enough credibility to ease any concerns about adding the site to the Trusted Zone.

The second reason is basicly down to the fact that around 75-80% of users use IE or a customised variant as their browser.

By using the client-side javascript approach coupled with IE, each User can see a dynamic thumbnail of their chosen file WITHOUT uploading the file to the server first. By the time the upload step is reached, they will know the cost and will have a pretty good idea what it is they are buying. I'm pretty sure they will proceed to the final payment step if they have gone this far. This should help maximise the efficiency of my server space.

@ The_Monk
The printer uses pigment inks, so its not a solvent machine. It can however print on vinyls that have a receptive layer for pigment ink. For outdoor use, a pigment-based print would probably require lamination with a clear top coat.

When the vinyl option is implemented, you will be able to upload your design in the same way as you would upload an image file for a poster.

Some 10 years ago, we worked closely with a vinyl manufacturer and developed a special clear material for use with pigment inks. This vinyl was required to create special floor graphics with a 3D effect. Due to the high cost of the material and the reluctance of customers to stick large graphics on their floors, the project was moth-balled.

Recently, there has been a lot of interest in this type of graphic, so we are about to begin promoting our 3D stuff once again. I'll have some examples on the site soon.
Lysdexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 22:05   #7
Simon
Banned

-

I was unaware of IE's ability to interrogate file properties to such an extent like that. Useful information there. Appreciate also that server-space is a premium and you wouldn't want unwanted files cluttering up the server, the only way around that would be to rename move each file into a 'permanent' folder for those whose transactions go through and run a server 'tidy up' script every now and then to delete all the unwanted files not in the 'permanent' folder. However, as you say this would only really be useful on you own dedicated server from which you can get at the nitty-gritty bits yourself.

I look forward to seeing your site progress as the services you offer may very well be of use to myself. Keep up the good work.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote