Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th October 2012, 21:53   #11
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

james where abouts are you i can put a request up in the plumbing forum for someone to sort this for you,they will do you a good turn or i will ban them LOL

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 23:07   #12
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Mark.. PM sent..

Colvey. The fan runs OK and can be heard easily, but as often as not, instead of firing up, I get a flashing light above the fan icon. And when that happens the unit wont fire up..

As you say, it's the air pressure valve at fault, but getting someone to come and fix it's a megga problem!!!!

If all else fails, I will buy the part and a try a DIY..

When it is working properly, from cold the house gets warm in about 10 mins.. It's only a two bed terrace.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 23:13   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Mark.. PM sent..

Colvey. The fan runs OK and can be heard easily, but as often as not, instead of firing up, I get a flashing light above the fan icon. And when that happens the unit wont fire up..

As you say, it's the air pressure valve at fault, but getting someone to come and fix it's a megga problem!!!!

If all else fails, I will buy the part and a try a DIY..

When it is working properly, from cold the house gets warm in about 10 mins.. It's only a two bed terrace.
It sounds like your BG friend got it right and you do not need to be gas qualified to swap the sensor, but often these sensor are adjustable. Maybe worth turning the gas off and you can safely try running the boiler, without it actually firing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 02:28   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

??? Hi Harry.. I think ---- That if the fan comes on properly, that works the diaphragm and signals the ignition to light the gas..

Soo, As the fan is coming on, the diaphragm must be faulty.

So at this juncture no gas is involved. Once the new diaphragm is in place, then hopefully everything will work as it should, and gas will then be part of the process...

I don't think there are any gas pipes in the top section of the unit where the air pressure valve lives..

But.. I am going from the drawings in the hand book so I may have misread them..

UPDATE. YAYY. I got a phone call earlier from a friend of Marks, offering to fix my boiler, either Monday or Tuesday morning, dependant on the part arriving.. Will keep you posted........

PS, the heating has started to work intermitantly, so maybe the diaphragm is now working erratically, whatever, it needs replacing anyway..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 08:22   #15
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Gentlemen, once you open up the case of a balanced flue gas appliance regardless of if it is natural draught flue or fan assisted flue you are disturbing the sealed compartment in which it operates, in effect you are opening the flueways. Once you have done this you are responsible for it's safe working condition and you do need to be not only suitably qualified but also you need to have your competencies registered. To allow the further safe working conditions of the appliance there are various tests to complete. If the controls worked on are outside the sealed compartment of the appliance then the above may not apply

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 12:56   #16
Johnny the Fox
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Saloon and MGF SE

I think Dave is referring to is Regulation 3.1/3 and 26.9 in the Gas Safety(Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 which state :-

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

3.-(3)....and is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

26.-(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine—

(a)the effectiveness of any flue;
(b)the supply of combustion air;
(c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d)its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,
and forthwith take all reasonable practicable steps to notify any defect to the responsible person and, where different, the owner of the premises in which the appliance is situated or, where neither is reasonably practicable, in the case of an appliance supplied with liquefied petroleum gas, the supplier of gas to the appliance, or, in any other case, the transporter.

Last edited by Johnny the Fox; 21st October 2012 at 13:01..
Johnny the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 13:04   #17
Johnny the Fox
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Saloon and MGF SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Gentlemen, once you open up the case of a balanced flue gas appliance regardless of if it is natural draught flue or fan assisted flue you are disturbing the sealed compartment in which it operates, in effect you are opening the flueways. Once you have done this you are responsible for it's safe working condition and you do need to be not only suitably qualified but also you need to have your competencies registered. To allow the further safe working conditions of the appliance there are various tests to complete. If the controls worked on are outside the sealed compartment of the appliance then the above may not apply
I understand where you are coming from but technically the fan pressure switch is a safety device, which prevents the appliance firing without the fan running, so legally would James be allowed to replace this
Old 21st October 2012, 13:06   #18
mark d3
This is my second home

i have had my mate lee sort it he is a very knowledgeable gsr engineer and a lot closer to james than me

Old 21st October 2012, 13:09   #19
mark d3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the Fox View Post
I understand where you are coming from but technically the fan pressure switch is a safety device, which prevents the appliance firing without the fan running, so legally would James be allowed to replace this
no as its part of the fan safety circuit and the combustion door would need to be removed top replace it

Old 21st October 2012, 14:52   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the Fox View Post
Incorrect John, sorry, As Mark says, it is within the combustion seal. you need to be qualified AND registered you would then carry out your 26/9 checks (F.A.G.S.)

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote