Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2019, 15:30   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Are EVs really the answer in the future? I do not think so.

Over on other car enthusiasts' sites, interesting discussions on this subject confirm how I see the reality of the future for transport of people and goods.

The forceful winds of change are blowing but people are leaning in the wrong direction as a result.

German Automotive Industrial Base have BIG concerns. Consider what is written here:~

Germany is Having an Existential Crisis About Cars

How do others here see the future ?
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 15:40   #2
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

A curious mixture of A. Scargill, Michael Foot and Lenin. A great rant, but I bet he's building an Arc in his shed.
Germany is in trouble, in fact teetering on the brink, but it stems mainly from too much reliance on one industry in the face of technology advances to finance itself. Coupled with the Euro in a wheelbarrow the coffers are depleting. Not dissimilar to the 1930's. Add that to friction from AfD and the seeds are set for upheaval if they are not careful.

As for EV's, bring it on. I can see competition from Hydrogen powered vehicles as well and there's quite a lot of it about too. Plus, the energy locked up in one single atom is phenomenal when compared to conventional electricity generation.

Last edited by wraymond; 1st November 2019 at 15:51..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 16:56   #3
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

For my part, I am looking forward to the day I can afford an EV that will get me from A to B without the inconvenience that the current technology and infrastructure apparently provide. I think you would have to recognise that whatever its causes, climate change is real, and at a rate that humanity is struggling to adapt to. While I am old enough to take the complacent attitude that it probably won't affect me that badly, the sooner we stop adding to the planet's atmospheric energy, the more chance we have of having the time to adapt to the ever more extreme weather events that will reduce our advanced technological world to submerged rubble, and leave our children spend their lives trying to cope with results of our generation consumption-driven and self-indulgent indulgent lives. No wonder a highly intelligent 16 year old is leading her non- compliant rebels to take actions that will hopefully shake the complacency of so many of us older folk. Are we going to carry on dancing on the deck of the Titanic because somebody said it was unsinkable? There may actually still be time to plug the leak, or close the bulkhead doors.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 17:27   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
MG John said:"Meantime, I will continue to enjoy my Petrol Turbo MGs and Rovers until such time as they send the big strong geezers in white coats after me...". Except it will be the be the big strong geezers in the dark blue uniforms and stab vests! For my part, I am looking forward to the day I can afford an EV that will get me from A to B without the inconvenience that the current technology and infrastructure apparently provide. I think you would have to recognise that whatever its causes, climate change is real, and at a rate that humanity is struggling to adapt to. While I am old enough to take the complacent attitude that it probably won't affect me that badly, the sooner we stop adding to the planet's atmospheric energy, the more chance we have of having the time to adapt to the ever more extreme weather events that will reduce our advanced technological world to submerged rubble, and leave our children spend their lives trying to cope with results of our generation consumption-driven and self-indulgent indulgent lives. No wonder a highly intelligent 16 year old is leading her non- compliant rebels to take actions that will hopefully shake the complacency of so many of us older folk. Are we going to carry on dancing on the deck of the Titanic because somebody said it was unsinkable? There may actually still be time to plug the leak, or close the bulkhead doors.
Andrew, could you please turn out the lights if you are the last one out

Greta Thunberg if she wasn't a singularly minded would see there is little to be gained in mining huge amounts of scarce minerals to create EV batteries, batteries that are hugely expensive to recycle.

Quite contrary to being "robbed of her childhood" as claimed, it should be noted that people who live with ASD often focus on a particular subject, often without seeing the larger picture.

Apart from anything else, there isn't the infrastructure in place to charge these EV, another little snippet the roll out "smart meters", these are very important to allow the national grid to be relieved at peak times by virtue of enforced remotely controlled brownouts.

If there is to be a roll out of EV it should be driven by market forces, and not blinkered politicos with vested interests.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:19   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Andrew, could you please turn out the lights if you are the last one out

Greta Thunberg if she wasn't a singularly minded would see there is little to be gained in mining huge amounts of scarce minerals to create EV batteries, batteries that are hugely expensive to recycle.

Quite contrary to being "robbed of her childhood" as claimed, it should be noted that people who live with ASD often focus on a particular subject, often without seeing the larger picture.

Apart from anything else, there isn't the infrastructure in place to charge these EV, another little snippet the roll out "smart meters", these are very important to allow the national grid to be relieved at peak times by virtue of enforced remotely controlled brownouts.

If there is to be a roll out of EV it should be driven by market forces, and not blinkered politicos with vested interests.

Brian
As an aside, just noticed the lovely little darling of the tree huggers, is now going to throw herself on the money go round of ‘pushers for climate change’, to get to the climate change meeting in Spain, because she is ‘in the wrong place’. Most intelligent people already know that.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:06   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Ev's will be part of the solution but as the government has put the ball into local authorities courts to implement ULEZ / CAZ/ workplace parking levies to reduce pollution they're want more people to use public transport.
They've stated in a de-carbonising transport paper that they do not want to replace 40 million ICE vehicles with 40 million BEV's https://publications.parliament.uk/p...dTextAnchor075

When they say electrifying transport they mean Buses & trains.

The environmental lawyers that make up Clientearth have sued the UK government three times successfully lately and are ready to take them to court again if they don't keep up with the Paris accord commitments.

Greater Manchester for example are at present reviewing all public transport and taking into account all the infrastructure the private car uses (car parks etc) compared to public transport and are going to have seamless transport & ticketing between rail,bus,&tram.
https://airqualitynews.com/2019/08/2...rgets-mps-say/
Stating if you want to come into the city it will either have to be by Train,Bus,Tram Bicycle or walking.

They've said within the next ten years they want a 50% reduction in private car journeys and the twice daily commuter private car use reduced by 90% into the cities CAZ's

The other things local authorities are doing to reduce car usage I read yesterday are that Edinburgh are looking to extend the operation of bus lanes for 12 hours/day 7 days a week.
Bus lanes in the city are currently closed to general traffic during peak hours (7.30am to 9.30am and 4pm to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Looks like a lot of park & ride places will need to be made to finish off your journeys into towns Cities.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 2nd November 2019 at 10:10..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 23:20   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
MG John said:"Meantime, I will continue to enjoy my Petrol Turbo MGs and Rovers until such time as they send the big strong geezers in white coats after me...". Except it will be the be the big strong geezers in the dark blue uniforms and stab vests! For my part, I am looking forward to the day I can afford an EV that will get me from A to B without the inconvenience that the current technology and infrastructure apparently provide. I think you would have to recognise that whatever its causes, climate change is real, and at a rate that humanity is struggling to adapt to. While I am old enough to take the complacent attitude that it probably won't affect me that badly, the sooner we stop adding to the planet's atmospheric energy, the more chance we have of having the time to adapt to the ever more extreme weather events that will reduce our advanced technological world to submerged rubble, and leave our children spend their lives trying to cope with results of our generation consumption-driven and self-indulgent indulgent lives. No wonder a highly intelligent 16 year old is leading her non- compliant rebels to take actions that will hopefully shake the complacency of so many of us older folk. Are we going to carry on dancing on the deck of the Titanic because somebody said it was unsinkable? There may actually still be time to plug the leak, or close the bulkhead doors.
I have never heard so much #@*% spouted in all my life about E.v. Propulsion. Anyone who knows anything about electricity, knows that it has to be firstly generated, and then distributed, and /or stored. In the case of cars that run On electricity, they need batteries. The batteries need to be ‘filled up’ with electric. One question:- where is all this electric coming from? We are already on a knife edge when the winter comes because of household consumption. We have already had requests during winter to companies to cut their consumption. The whole #*%@ surrounding electric vehicles is tantamount to fear mongering against anything that for the time being is going to be used by the majority of people, THE PETROL/DIESEL car. The batteries:- made of lithium. Where does it come from? Mostly from African countries, where the population is used on slave wages to mine it. It is relatively rare and hard to mine. How often do the batteries need to be changed? Where do they then go to be ‘taken apart’? The actual pollution from EV’s is more dangerous than what we have now. Don’t believe me? Look it up on the net, freely available to anyone who really cares about the environment. The young woman Thunberg is being used by people who support this iniquitous industry. Look it up again.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:11   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my wife worked with a chap that had 7 children, note the word worked. not all are on the scrounge

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:30   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I have no problem with using public transport for local journeys, being on the outskirts of London the services are many and regular.

What I do have a problem with is the extortionate prices of some journeys, example used an Aviva bus to go about 5 miles - cost was £4. As I was travelling with a friend we could have got a taxi for less .
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 19:48   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Lets get the big stick out and beat the living daylights out of ourselves. We are so selfish are we not. You really need to read or re-read MG Johns posted post. Just read it through without having any prejudice before hand. I am amazed that some people seem to hold the view that the end of the world is nigh, without any comprehension whatsoever of what it is all about.There are to many expurts about. I would like to have time to put everything I have researched myself , that the so called ‘expurts’ either fail to tell people, or have not researched the way I have. The , I am now going to use a very descriptive word, ‘crap’ that is being spouted by these people, including the poor young girl that is being used for ulterior motives by her family and the sick media. Just one more thing, if you remember, we were told by renown people, one I used to admire very much and still do if he sticks to his profession, that we had three years to do something about so called ‘global warming’. Well we have around 16 months to curb it or we will all be dead. Yea, ok.