Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2009, 22:33   #1
Raptor

2003 MG ZT V6 190+

Default Back end letting go

Hi
I purchased a MG ZT 190+ a couple of weeks ago and on the drive home the rear of the car leg go nothing serious and we put it down to meybe diesel on the road. Just to be on the safe side i was having disc's and pads fitted so i asked the mechanic to check the rear bushes and anything else that looked untowards. Got a clean bill of health. Coming back from a hospital appointment i was doing about 60 round a bend nothing severe when the rear let go again, i could not straighten it and hit a dry stone wall i only had a couple of seconds to react. The car is a write off having ripped the front corner off ie wheel, drive shaft and whatever else is there. My question is has any one else suffered fron the rear letting go. I am pretty sure the seller new about this problem but nothing was mentioned.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 11th June 2009 at 09:28.. Reason: Pics linked
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:40   #2
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

Only once have I made the back step out, and I was pushing hard to get all the way across the county to hospital, and I had very little fuel in the car so no weight over the rear wheels, having said that I was in the middle of nowhere and really giving it some beans, that was clean dry road, I have noticed the front twitch on diesel on a roundabout before but never lost the back,
if its been checked out and is ok, only other thing is the road or you, and you say you were being sensible so must have been bad luck and a bit of nasty mac?
W953 BJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:40   #3
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

Sorry to hear about your accident mate, thats terrible....
However a similar thing happened to me in a ZS, like you twice, but I managed to keep it on the road both times. It was down to having utter rubbish tyres on the back of the car. With FWD cars the best tyres should be on the rear. I swapped the rubbish tyres to the front and although the front then had a tendancy to understeer everywhere, it was controlable unlike when they were on ther rear. Fitting decent tyres was the final cure. What make of tyres are on the rear, and how old are they and is the pressure right in them?

TurboZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:41   #4
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Sorry to hear about the accident - hopefully no-one was hurt

Never experienced it when I had a 190 and I pushed her hard, 260 is a little tail happy but you sort of expect it

Were the tyres matched on the back?

Last edited by Ragman; 10th June 2009 at 22:43..
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 22:49   #5
Raptor

2003 MG ZT V6 190+

Default Rear end

Was'nt pushing it and i knew the road and the tyres were new. I have also got a Lexus soarer 500bhp and have never had a problem on the same bend.
Regards the weight there is a 80 litre gas tank in the boot. There was definitely a problem but the police said i would have to have it checked independantly at my cost.
ps how can i put pictures on the site, i tried putting the link to picasa web albums but no joy.
Old 10th June 2009, 22:51   #6
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

what make tyres, mine were new too......

Old 10th June 2009, 22:53   #7
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

Did plod check the road surface etc? No diesel or grit or anything? Might be worth getting it checked out, maybe get some compo from the guy who sold it to you?
sorry I can't help with pictures, computer witchcraft! Someone else will though I'm sure, I think there might be a thread in the how to section that explains it?
Old 10th June 2009, 22:55   #8
W953 BJX
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZed View Post
what make tyres, mine were new too......
if they were very new could be mould release on the tyres surface?
Old 10th June 2009, 22:56   #9
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by W953 BJX View Post
if they were very new could be mould release on the tyres surface?
That is true, but I think a couple of hundred miles is enough for it not to be an issue. In my case they had done about 500....

Old 10th June 2009, 22:59   #10
Raptor

2003 MG ZT V6 190+

Default Pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raptor100/

plod could not find any problems with the surface, they did not have an issue, in fact very helpful. Tyres had done a few hundred miles.
suggested that suspension could be at fault set to agressive but only conjector.

Last edited by Raptor; 10th June 2009 at 23:04..
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote