Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2007, 14:14   #1
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Default Headlamp motor & air con

Hello lovely people.

After buying my first Rover 75 at the weekend I am now abusing work time and trying to sort out a few problems with it.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me on the 2 following niggles. I know one end of a spanner from the other but I am not exactly experienced in car mechanics so please be gentle with me.

1> The passenger side headlight unit is not responding to the motor adjust. The drivers side works fine but after getting my hand down there it seems as though the reflectors for both the inner and outer lamps are loose. They are connected at the top but not underneath. Unfortunatley the default position seems to be pointing upwards which will doubtless result in a pull from the police unless I get it sorted out. I can't see very well to work out how the motor should connect so just wondered if anybody had any experience of this a knew a fix that does not involve taking the front bumper off?

2> The air conditioning doesn't seem to get very cold. There is no difference between the normal blower and the air con. I am vaguely aware that you can get air con units re-gassed or something? Is this likely to be the problem and is it expensive? The AC light comes on when you press it but obviously the little imps under the bonnet are not shoveling the ice like they should be (as is my understanding of how AC works).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers, Jim
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 14:17   #2
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Hi Jim and welcome.

Just a quick question as there is a common fault with the fan .. is this a CDT(i)?
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 14:37   #3
efreeti
Gets stuck in

Yes sorry, need to get my sig sorted out.

It is a CDT Classic SE on a 51 plate.

Cheers, Jim
Old 27th March 2007, 14:54   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

JohnFol's next question could well be does the aircon get cold when the car's moving, and not when it's stationary? If so, it sounds like the fan.

Without the engine running, but with ignition on and aircon on (on a coldish setting), does the radiator fan (seen through the grille, although you'll hear it!) start? It should, so if not, it's most likely the fan, and if the fan's OK, then checking for leaks and/or regassing could be req'd, but I'd trust this to a professional, and not be tempted to a "DIY" regas.

Jim, whereabouts in the country are you? There's a really good mobile aircon bloke in the Watford/Aylesbury area, Steve at "Aircool"

Last edited by baxlin; 27th March 2007 at 14:58..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 15:02   #5
efreeti
Gets stuck in

Halifax, so might be a bit of a trip for him

I will check out the fan although it doesn't seem to make a difference if I am moving or not.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:43   #6
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

nearly! you know me too well.

When the engine is off, turn air con on and key to 2nd position. Does the fan in front of the radiator come on? (Sounds like a hovercraft)
Old 27th March 2007, 15:44   #7
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

and do the words "trombone" or "whooping" mean anything to you?
Old 28th March 2007, 12:32   #8
efreeti
Gets stuck in

No odd noises. And the fan does seem to be coming on. Maybe just needs a good old fashioned re-gass.

Does anybody have any advice about the Headlamps??

Cheers, Jim
Old 28th March 2007, 14:36   #9
Simon
Banned

-

Headlamp wiring is prone to wear. The wiring loom rubs against part of the bodywork and this can ultimately lead to wires breaking. This is the most likely cause of your headlamp problem.

You may be able to get an arm down inside the car to feel the wiring but it really is a bumper-off job to see things properly. You should (all being well) be able to patch up the wiring and then wrap sufficient protection around it to prevent future occurances.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 15:19   #10
efreeti
Gets stuck in

Sound like my Sunday afternoon will involve lots of socket sets and scraped knuckles!

I have not managed to find a decent picture or diagram of the headlamp fittings. The reflectors seem to be attached at the top but not at the bottom. Best case scenario is that it has come lose from a clip and just needs putting back in and then sort out the wiring. Worst case scenario is that I spend a couple of hours taking the front off and find I need a replacement motor and then have to put it all back together again, buy the spare part in the week and then repeat the whole process.

I will try and take some photos of the lamp assembly during the process. Might be worth posting on here somewhere. If anybody wants any pics of anything specific whilst I have the front end off please feel free to ask.