Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2019, 13:20   #1
Blink
Gets stuck in
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 852
Thanks: 108
Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
Default Exhaust heatshield problem

Having cut my old exhaust off prior to fitting a new one, I thought I'd whip the heatshields off and sort out the odd blip of surface rust underneath the edges, mostly around the bolt holes.

I discovered the shield itself has been attacked by moths, or at least that's what it looks like. There seems to have been some sort of chemical reaction where the steel bolts go through the aluminium sheet. I don't want to put it back on like this as it can't be taken off again without dismantling the exhaust. Three of the four RH bolt holes are like this to some degree - oddly enough the LH holes aren't.



It if was flat I'd bolt two strips of aluminium sheet along the RH side to act as clamps - that would solve the problem. It's not flat though.

Last edited by Blink; 1st December 2019 at 13:23..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 13:51   #2
marinabrian
Baculum magicum
 
marinabrian's Avatar
 
A few too many

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The People's Republic of North Tyneside
Posts: 18,564
Thanks: 2,798
Thanked 8,963 Times in 4,906 Posts
Default

I made aluminium washers from an old ECM casing, to avoid accelerated electrolytic corrosion however pan menders are just as good

It's not the worst I've seen

Brian

P.S. your exhaust assembly paste will allow for subsequent dismantling of the exhaust if required
__________________
Almost at the end of the road........and I can categorically state this is NOT my second home

Sent from my Jupiter Ace running a 16k RAM pack and Chuck Moore FORTH
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 16:09   #3
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 8,928
Thanks: 894
Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default

instead of two strips I used one and bent it over. Drilled for the bolt hole then offered it up so the bolt hole lined up, drilled through in two places and riveted the two "strips" together. Then bolted to the car

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 16:34   #4
Blink
Gets stuck in
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 852
Thanks: 108
Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I made aluminium washers from an old ECM casing, to avoid accelerated electrolytic corrosion however pan menders are just as good

It's not the worst I've seen

Brian

P.S. your exhaust assembly paste will allow for subsequent dismantling of the exhaust if required
These might help provided the edge is rounded off so that it doesn't cut into the heatshield. I think that's half the problem - the washers on the original bolts have a sharp edge and it cuts in as the rest of the heatshield vibrates up & down. You can see it in the post 1 pic.

PS. Good news re the paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
instead of two strips I used one and bent it over. Drilled for the bolt hole then offered it up so the bolt hole lined up, drilled through in two places and riveted the two "strips" together. Then bolted to the car

macafee2
I'm not sure I understand . Do you mean you sandwiched the edge of the shield between one long strip bent in two (doubled over), then bolted through the sandwich?

If so, how did you match the contour of the shield - it's not flat, there's a long hump between each pair of bolt holes, i.e.

  • Front pair: distance between bolts centres = 33cm / hump length = 28cm
  • Rear pair: distance between bolts centres = 20cm / hump length = 14cm
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 16:35   #5
Blink
Gets stuck in
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 852
Thanks: 108
Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
Default

PS. Ooh, Xmas smilies. Lovely :icon_r olleyes::icon_questio n::lipsrseale d:

Looks like some of them don't work.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 16:49   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home
 
roverbarmy's Avatar
 
1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 4,388
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,158 Times in 885 Posts
Default

I just put two long metal jubilee style clip/ties around the whole pipe and cover to give extra support and eliminate the rattles. Worked a treat.
__________________
Oil in my veins!
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:03   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 13,659
Thanks: 666
Thanked 3,752 Times in 2,322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Having cut my old exhaust off prior to fitting a new one, I thought I'd whip the heatshields off and sort out the odd blip of surface rust underneath the edges, mostly around the bolt holes.

I discovered the shield itself has been attacked by moths, or at least that's what it looks like. There seems to have been some sort of chemical reaction where the steel bolts go through the aluminium sheet. I don't want to put it back on like this as it can't be taken off again without dismantling the exhaust. Three of the four RH bolt holes are like this to some degree - oddly enough the LH holes aren't.



It if was flat I'd bolt two strips of aluminium sheet along the RH side to act as clamps - that would solve the problem. It's not flat though.
Make up some larger alloy washers and use those to stop corrosion in the future use under the shield and on the surface.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2019 meet dates
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html
" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:09   #8
ceedy
This is my second home
 
ceedy's Avatar
 
All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and erm, 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nr Sherborne But in Somerset..
Posts: 5,095
Thanks: 649
Thanked 873 Times in 583 Posts
Default

worth while plopping some goo / sealant between the shield and the Chassis and the washer and the Shield to help/ slow the dissimilar metal corrosion.
__________________
The Three Bloo's
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:58   #9
Blink
Gets stuck in
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 852
Thanks: 108
Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Make up some larger alloy washers and use those to stop corrosion in the future use under the shield and on the surface.
Good idea Steve - especially the moulded washers. I see you've used flat sheet for some washers and some bits cut from another heatshield for others. I don't have either of those so I'll have to buy something. What thickness flat sheet did you use?

I'm still toying with the idea of using flat sheet strips running between each pair of bolts - a bit like the strap on the fuel tank. If I can get the 'humps' exactly the right height it'll clamp the whole contact surface between the bolts. Each strip would be 40mm wide and (say??) 2mm thick.

Here's one supplier (see Flat Bar or Sheet options) - https://www.metalswarehouse.co.uk/custom-cut-metal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-se1mIOX5gIVCLTtCh0bdwDXEAAYASAAEgJMgPD_BwE


Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
worth while plopping some goo / sealant between the shield and the Chassis and the washer and the Shield to help/ slow the dissimilar metal corrosion.
Good idea again, although I'll be painting the area underneath the heatshield anyway and I'll use stainless steel bolts.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:05   #10
clf
This is my second home
 
clf's Avatar
 
MG ZT CDTi

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: carrick
Posts: 6,281
Thanks: 2,771
Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,458 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Good idea Steve - especially the moulded washers. I see you've used flat sheet for some washers and some bits cut from another heatshield for others. I don't have either of those so I'll have to buy something. What thickness flat sheet did you use?

I'm still toying with the idea of using flat sheet strips running between each pair of bolts - a bit like the strap on the fuel tank. If I can get the 'humps' exactly the right height it'll clamp the whole contact surface between the bolts. Each strip would be 40mm wide and (say??) 2mm thick.

Here's one supplier (see Flat Bar or Sheet options) - https://www.metalswarehouse.co.uk/custom-cut-metal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-se1mIOX5gIVCLTtCh0bdwDXEAAYASAAEgJMgPD_BwE




Good idea again, although I'll be painting the area underneath the heatshield anyway and I'll use stainless steel bolts.
I use a blanking grommet with a hole pushed through. It helps to absorb vibration and reduce tearing

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
__________________


It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd