Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2020, 07:35   #11
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
We're not very helpful are we, pulling it apart like this. "Sorry Mr. Seller!"
But listing a general maintenance job that has to be done every 6 years, even though it was done 9 years ago seems a bit irrelevant. If you bought a car would you care if it had a cam belt fitted 9 years ago. When it should have had another 3 years ago... he hasn’t said when it was done because people would know the belts need changing. He is being quite crafty omitting that detail. I mean it doesn’t seem a bad value car, but just be honest and say the belts were done in 2011, they are due to be changed, or you can risk it as it hasn’t done many miles on them. Most people would probably be happy risking it and if they snapped drop a different engine in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Flipping heck a Jap spec Dorchester Red with personal line interior getting pulled apart on an enthusiast’s forum
I’m just mad he listed the cambelts as being done at 83K with no date, because they are past due by 3 years. Bit crafty leaving that bit out. If you didn’t know the cars you would put the date as you may not know that people are really bothered.

Last edited by Jamiewelch; 10th May 2020 at 07:37..
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 07:50   #12
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

If you want it buy it, otherwise leave it alone,

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 07:55   #13
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
But listing a general maintenance job that has to be done every 6 years, even though it was done 9 years ago seems a bit irrelevant. If you bought a car would you care if it had a cam belt fitted 9 years ago. When it should have had another 3 years ago... he hasn’t said when it was done because people would know the belts need changing. He is being quite crafty omitting that detail. I mean it doesn’t seem a bad value car, but just be honest and say the belts were done in 2011, they are due to be changed, or you can risk it as it hasn’t done many miles on them. Most people would probably be happy risking it and if they snapped drop a different engine in.

I’m just mad he listed the cambelts as being done at 83K with no date, because they are past due by 3 years. Bit crafty leaving that bit out. If you didn’t know the cars you would put the date as you may not know that people are really bothered.
Yup, there you go!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 08:39   #14
Chris68

Rover 75

seems to be the same people on this forum that tend to put cars for sale down, were talking about a car that's coming up to twenty years old and is for sale for less than thirteen hundred pounds and its still a nice car for that money
Chris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 08:44   #15
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Don't forget... RULE 1..Every car is over priced unless it's the one you are selling..
Old 10th May 2020, 08:49   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I don’t think anyone is putting the car down, just listing things that are not correct.

The wheels.. not correct jap spec, and a nightmare to find if you want to put the car back to the correct spec.

The belts, a good observation as most folks will just read ‘belts have been changed’ and think they are ok for tens of thousands of miles.
Old 10th May 2020, 09:16   #17
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Whatever non enthusiast owned 75 or ZT is found now an is basically going to be a labour of love to get it to pristine condition with the youngest being the best part of 15 years old and the oldest over 20 years old.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 09:23   #18
Chris68

Rover 75

if I were interested in traveling to see this car I would contact the owner first and when the belts were changed would just be one of the many questions I would ask, If someone buys this car for the asking price are they realy going to spend the time and money on a replacement set of wheels I very much doubt that, im sure that money would be better spent on different aspects of the car, Its just a shame that our cars have such little value and when they have a fault that is going to cost to put right the next port of call is the scrap yard
Chris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 09:33   #19
eumjmorris
Loves to post

R75 now just two diesel tourers

Default Dorchester Red Japanese Spec...

as the previous owner when the belts and much more were done by Jules in 2011, including air-con, and owning it from 2010 to approx 2016, and with it's picture on my wall, perhaps I can add my two-pennorth?
when I sold all my petrol (v6) cars, as more trouble than they were worth,
loving the economical diesel cars with BigRuss' tuning, this one went to Walsall initially, and at that time it did have the Jap-spec dimpled crown wheels, but we understood someone subsequently changed them for normal crowns, remember, a wider wheel in fact. Perhaps I need to buy it back?
Such temptation. Regards to all on the forum at this difficult time.
eumjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2020, 09:39   #20
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris68 View Post
seems to be the same people on this forum that tend to put cars for sale down, were talking about a car that's coming up to twenty years old and is for sale for less than thirteen hundred pounds and its still a nice car for that money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Don't forget... RULE 1..Every car is over priced unless it's the one you are selling..
I do not think anyone has put the car or price down? Regarding, price and relative value is determined by the market, and in the current market (ignoring lockdown) it is a strong price. Therefore the current market, it needs to be a strong car to match it.

It is a model 'spec' I do not understand - what makes this more special/desirable than a regular club SE of the same age? From what I can find, it should have a different bootlid (smaller number plate location?), manual leather seats and a flare holder, and perhaps a slightly different wheel design (and labels that are difficult to read lol - well it is 30 years since I learned Japanese in school, believe it or not, it was on the curriculum! lol).

For me, a car that is a Japanese ex/import would be a negative (going halfway around the world by sea, twice, generally Japanese import cars do not have adequate underseal for our roads and will have unknown provenance for its time there). Having a 2.5 litre engine is also an negative for me too. But they are personal thoughts on what would my intended use. I am genuinely interested in what makes a 'Japanese' car more sought after?

These are not comments to run it down, the above are questions and opinions, made to try understand something I do not.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote