Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th October 2020, 13:04   #21
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'm planning an electric conversion for my car when the diesel engine finally gives up the ghost - can't be long now as it has done 407k miles.

Already sorted the donor vehicle.

Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 14:41   #22
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Loved those milk floats, used to help my ‘milky’ back in the seventies fo a bit of pocket money!!

There has been some discussion in my social circles about electrifying the R40 and pleased that someone as yourself has taken up the baton.

I know we all love the sounds made by a combustion engine and that will not change, but the world is changing all the time and an EV Rover 75 is just the start of a new type of restoration project for old loved cars in good nick, be it British or otherwise.

Whilst not all old cars will lend themselves to such a modification, I can see a small industry emerging in time that will offer EV conversions to many old cars for a cost which will never be cheap. Then once the process had become commonplace and understood, (much like todays technology that we did not have 20 years ago,) there will be self-fit conversion kits for the brave and adventurous types.

We have to accept the ‘fossil burner’ as we love it will be extinct in 20-30 years time.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 14:51   #23
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Loved those milk floats, used to help my ‘milky’ back in the seventies fo a bit of pocket money!!

There has been some discussion in my social circles about electrifying the R40 and pleased that someone as yourself has taken up the baton.

I know we all love the sounds made by a combustion engine and that will not change, but the world is changing all the time and an EV Rover 75 is just the start of a new type of restoration project for old loved cars in good nick, be it British or otherwise.

Whilst not all old cars will lend themselves to such a modification, I can see a small industry emerging in time that will offer EV conversions to many old cars for a cost which will never be cheap. Then once the process had become commonplace and understood, (much like todays technology that we did not have 20 years ago,) there will be self-fit conversion kits for the brave and adventurous types.

We have to accept the ‘fossil burner’ as we love it will be extinct in 20-30 years time.

You are right of course. Let's hope the conversion industry picks this up soon to save our beloved R75's and ZT's from oblivion

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 16:20   #24
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
You are right of course. Let's hope the conversion industry picks this up soon to save our beloved R75's and ZT's from oblivion

Without coming over all political, I think you will have more of a problem with oblivion than we will now that we have left the EU.

Here in the UK the powers that be historically don't tend to worry too much about a few older vehicles being on the roads which comply to neither current safety or emission standards - a quintessentially British attitude.

Sadly I can't see Ursula Von Der Leyen putting up with any of that old malarky.

Hope I am wrong though.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 4th October 2020 at 16:30..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 16:32   #25
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Personally I think old cars are more likely to have Hydrogen conversions than electric.

Commercial vehicles don't lend them selves to electric because of the lack of range and prolonged charging times so either exchange battery packs or another clean fuel will be used. As Hydrogen will produce basically steam when burnt I suspect that will be the obvious choice. Once this is freely available all the old ICE vehicles can be converted.

Interesting times. I am interested to know where they think all this electricity is going to come from to change all these cars. Apparently it will be equivalent to us needing about 6 new power stations by 2040.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 18:36   #26
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Some wonderful work there and embracing the future but what an expensive job. Beautifully done, though, and an absolute credit to your skill and engineering ability. Bravo!
Old 4th October 2020, 19:21   #27
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Without coming over all political, I think you will have more of a problem with oblivion than we will now that we have left the EU.

Here in the UK the powers that be historically don't tend to worry too much about a few older vehicles being on the roads which comply to neither current safety or emission standards - a quintessentially British attitude.

Sadly I can't see Ursula Von Der Leyen putting up with any of that old malarky.

Hope I am wrong though.

Ursula Von Der Leyen is a Greta Thunberg on steroids , I've been following her talks on EU/UK decarbonization of transport policy for a while & ICE vehicles (other than new) are in for an expensive ride along with aviation & shipping, She's just won a vote to reduce the emissions level a further 20% by 2030

The new Euro Cat 7 emission Standard is supposed to be out this November but I guess it will have to be changed for the extra reduction of 20% in emissions that has been voted.

They're saying lots of R&D jobs will be gone by 2025 for ICE vehicle manufacturers as they will never get below the coming emissions standards without electrication, even Phev's/hybrids wont make the cut in 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Personally I think old cars are more likely to have Hydrogen conversions than electric.

Commercial vehicles don't lend them selves to electric because of the lack of range and prolonged charging times so either exchange battery packs or another clean fuel will be used. As Hydrogen will produce basically steam when burnt I suspect that will be the obvious choice. Once this is freely available all the old ICE vehicles can be converted.

Interesting times. I am interested to know where they think all this electricity is going to come from to change all these cars. Apparently it will be equivalent to us needing about 6 new power stations by 2040.

The national grid had it's most demand ever in 2002 at 62GW and if the UK changed completely to EV's it wouldn't come to that 62GW figure as there's now enough capacity, Quote from the big chief (Graeme cooper)in charge at the national grid.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories...ehicles-busted

The national grid is connected to Europe by interconnector cables and exports/imports electricity from every EU country, peak load times vary across the EU time zones and when it's peak load here we import from EU countries & visa versa, It will be ~one huge electricity grid.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories...ent=1601634874

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 4th October 2020 at 19:28..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 19:32   #28
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

If you have an electric car you really need a 'green' generator to charge it up
I'd like one that burns old tyres and used engine oil etc what could be more environmentally friendly than transforming old tyres into electricity
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2020, 12:27   #29
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Germany and Australia sign agreement on hydrogen feasibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

Recent press reports here in Australia mention that the German and Australian Governments have signed an agreement to research the feasibility of hydrogen power.
Australia released its National Hydrogen Strategy in 2019 and Germany released their National.Hydrogen Strategy in 2020. Both countries have been developing renewable hydrogen as a source of clean energy. I
Some think that hydrogen is better suited than electricity for the future.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 07:20   #30
marimasse
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Some think that hydrogen is better suited than electricity for the future.
Hydrogen can certainly be more convenient and effective, as a "container" for electric energy, than batteries. At least in theory. Provided that the huge amounts of electric energy needed to "produce" hydrogen (which does not exist as a separate substance in nature) come from renewables.

It should not be forgotten, in fact, that "hydrogen cars" are still... electric cars, in which electricity is not taken from batteries but obtained by "disassembling" hydrogen inside the so called "fuel-cells".

Unfortunately, even the use of hydrogen involves problems that are not easy to solve, related to high pressures, low temperatures and high flammability.
marimasse is offline   Reply With Quote