Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th September 2020, 17:01   #1
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Default ZT Passenger seat height -Up>

I intend to do this in the hope it stops the annoying "buzz" from my left when driving. Two lengths of 50mm-h x 40mm-w mild steel section to be inserted between the existing runners and the car floor. Longer bolts to deal with the extra height. I may want/need to have sections of tubular steel to be inside the 50mmsection for the bolts to go through and as a strengthener. Can anyone help me with correct description of the fastening bolts? I know they will be 50mm longer than the existing ones. I will endevour to take photo's and post them on the site. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:33   #2
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Thanks Trikey- for size info. of seat bolt - M10. I will get drilling!. Chris.S.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:04   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

As this is a "modification", you will need to inform your insurers surerly.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2020, 16:09   #4
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Unlikely- modification is a weasel word. I have now removed the seat bolts. They are likely to be a "modification" of MGRovers own!!! as they are Torx type and not Ribe 8, as has been talked of on this site. So did MGR used some of one type and some of the other type? Any way they were removed with the Ribe 8 bit. Another glitch - steel box section does not come in 50x40mm so I have to go with 40x40mm. Chris.S.
Old 5th October 2020, 17:20   #5
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I thought of doing something similar but was put off by the safety aspect/insurance/passenger liability aspects in the event of an accident. Tensile strength of longer bolts, non standard seat base etc.
I am sure it would work fine in normal use but in a serious accident scenario where the passenger seat broke free with serious injury resulting I wouldn't want to risk a claim for damages when the insurers walk away.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 16:22   #6
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Thanks to you both I will in due course set out what I may have done-most things calculable. Having the spacers drilled and will then see how its panning out. The captive bolts are in good condition Im pleased about. Chris.S.
Old 7th October 2020, 06:05   #7
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I thought of doing something similar but was put off by the safety aspect/insurance/passenger liability aspects in the event of an accident. Tensile strength of longer bolts, non standard seat base etc.
I am sure it would work fine in normal use but in a serious accident scenario where the passenger seat broke free with serious injury resulting I wouldn't want to risk a claim for damages when the insurers walk away.
My wife has said on a few occasions that her seat base is too low. I have read about people doing a similar modification to lift the seat, but i have always thought the same as you.
I would be worried about the stress put onto longer bolts in the event of a accident. To keep the same shear strength the bold should also increase in thickness as it gets longer.
The throught of the seat base complete wth seat belt mounts etc tearing off the floor in an accident just doesn't bear thinking about.
What mine really needs is a conversion that uses a seat base from a left hand drive car with the electric seat adjustments. That conversion has also been done! Having said that, in the event of an accident the insurance still wouldn't pay out if they got wind of any "home brewed " conversion, no matter how safe you made it.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 7th October 2020 at 06:09..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 10:11   #8
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

There was a thread a while back on seats where it was said that height adjusting passenger seats were offered as an option which I'd never heard of before nor have I seen any offered for sale.

I am fighting off having to let the 75 go in preference for something a bit higher off the ground. Just wish I still had a nice dry garage where I could tuck it away.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 10:27   #9
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

That or buy a drivers seat from a lhd car.

But in any case, an 8.8 grade m10 fastener had a minimum ultimate tensile strength of over 5000kgf. You would be more likely to pull the threaded insert out of the floor as opposed to shearing a fastener. And if you were in an accident with sufficient force to do either of those it would almost certainly be fatal due to deceleration forces.

So crack on, a couple of spacers won’t adversely affect the safety of the standard fitted items. A full runner length of 50mm x 25mm square hollow section would be a neater job over four spacers

And you could use any fastener really, a hexagon headed bolt may not fit but a cap head or Allen headed bolt should be fine if you can’t find any suitable length torx headed bolts

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available

Last edited by rrobson; 7th October 2020 at 10:31..
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 12:21   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post

So crack on, a couple of spacers won’t adversely affect the safety of the standard fitted items. A full runner length of 50mm x 25mm square hollow section would be a neater job over four spacers
And this would make it infinitely stronger too, by spreading the forces through the runner rather than at bolts and spacers (ok not infinitely - but I cannot remember any of my school work on beams and moments now).

One thing that may get questioned but should not be relevant, would.be the airbag (this should be designed to be effective for the heights of people rather than the height of the seat).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote