Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th October 2020, 21:46   #21
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Could you please explain what lower clips are you talking about? There are so many chrome trims on this car that I can't figure out which one you mean haha. And by the rear panel side trim, are you talking about the same chrome trim? I think you mean the clips for the chrome trim at the side of the boot, right above the wheels, right? And why do you mention the lower clips? Are there also other clips (presumably higher ones) that hold the chrome trim in place?
lower clips in this diagram. Search backlight clips and fittings on Rimmers Brothers.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004338
Clip-backlight finisher retaining - DCJ000050 - Genuine MG Rover.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004329
part 8 finisher rear tonneau.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 16:04   #22
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

The mechanic found the problem/s, major one was the master clutch cylinder rubber grommet where the pipe coming from it goes through, when the mechanic changed the master cylinder, he didn't install the grommet back the right way and water was literally flooding through it, another problem was some of the driver's side chrome trim clips (the trim above the rear wheel), that's also where water was getting through, he sealed all those spots and after 2 days of rain, no water ingress found again.

One more thing though, the garage did it's best to dry the carpet but I decided to take the car home and do it myself as I still need the car for work. Do you guys know what's the best method to dry the carpet without having to completely remove it? I will, of course, remove the driver's seat and all the trims that would let me lift the whole carpet up on this side, but then what should I use to help it dry faster? Dehumidifier, or a small heating element placed inside the car while leaving it inside the garage with the windows slightly lowered? Any other ideas? I can sacrifice another week without using the car to let it completely dry, I just need a method to help it dry faster.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 19:28   #23
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A heater to dry the carpet with a dehumidifier in the car will probably be the best solution at this time of year.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 21:33   #24
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A heater to dry the carpet with a dehumidifier in the car will probably be the best solution at this time of year.
Agree. This is what I did. To speed things up if very wet, put dry absorbent towels onto the carpets in all four wells, weighted with something heavy. I used bricks and my son's kettle bells lol. This compressed the sponge underlay and the towels absorbed a lot of water. When the towels are not doing much, lift the corners of the carpets and put 4x2 or similar wood to raise the carpet and run a fan heater inside the car with air carefully directed under the raised carpet. This only works well if you can open the doors to ventilate out the moist air. Even better to finish is a good de-humidifier, which is essential if you have to keep the doors closed for any reason. It worked for me over about a week, but my carpets were very wet to start with!
Old 24th October 2020, 21:40   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The chrome side trims, the two rearmost clips (The ones with the plastic screws holding them on)
Old 25th October 2020, 20:14   #26
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Carpets are 100% dry in just one night, wow, I'm quite impressed haha, thought it would take atleast a week seeing how soaking wet the sponge underlay was. Method I used was this: yesterday evening completely raised the left (driver's) side of the carpet up and held it so with two thick wood sticks which were put against the footwell sill side to hold the weight of the carpet, also put two pieces of about two inches tall tubes under the carpet (just under the center console), this way I could get clearance from the ground so the air could flow under there too, then put a big capacity dehumidifier in front of the carpet, in the center, with a fan on it's left, and a heater fan on it's right, both blowing towards the carpet, let all of them on all night long, until the morning, woke up at 3am just to switch the position of the fan and the heater fan between eachother, and in the morning, when checking the carpet, from literally soaking wet it went to completely dry, even when squeezing it in various spots, not a single drop of water came out anymore, never thought it would happen so fast. I think the normal fan helped a lot by letting the warm air from the heater fan make it's way all along and under the carpet taking the moisture out of it. So glad I managed to save the car and completely dry the carpet so fast, thank you all for your help!
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 20:38   #27
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The chrome side trims, the two rearmost clips (The ones with the plastic screws holding them on)
That's the exact location on both sides of mine where I had some water coming in, as well as all the other areas lol.
Old 25th October 2020, 20:40   #28
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Carpets are 100% dry in just one night, wow, I'm quite impressed haha, thought it would take atleast a week seeing how soaking wet the sponge underlay was. Method I used was this: yesterday evening completely raised the left (driver's) side of the carpet up and held it so with two thick wood sticks which were put against the footwell sill side to hold the weight of the carpet, also put two pieces of about two inches tall tubes under the carpet (just under the center console), this way I could get clearance from the ground so the air could flow under there too, then put a big capacity dehumidifier in front of the carpet, in the center, with a fan on it's left, and a heater fan on it's right, both blowing towards the carpet, let all of them on all night long, until the morning, woke up at 3am just to switch the position of the fan and the heater fan between eachother, and in the morning, when checking the carpet, from literally soaking wet it went to completely dry, even when squeezing it in various spots, not a single drop of water came out anymore, never thought it would happen so fast. I think the normal fan helped a lot by letting the warm air from the heater fan make it's way all along and under the carpet taking the moisture out of it. So glad I managed to save the car and completely dry the carpet so fast, thank you all for your help!
Well done. Glad you got a quick result. If you found all the leaks it should stay dry. Good luck.