Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 21:01   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default EGR bypass (is it worth doing)

Hi and hope you're all well.
I've been rather busy the last few months getting my Rover 75 onto a little better shape for the future. New Callipers, brake lines, and fuel pump to name a few jobs completed. Next Monday I'm getting the last repairs on the rear sill sorted so it will then be all Ship shape and Bristol fashion 😁
Whilst watching Hub Nuts video tonight on cleaning the EGR valve out, it struck me that I've never done mine since I've owned it which is coming up to nearly 10 years. I would also second guess that the previous owner wouldn't of done it either as it was of a very low mileage when i bought it, and it was frankly a giant paper weight parked on her drive for many years covering barely 300 miles a year.
I've now covered 80k in the car with it showing 130k total and think it's high time to have a look at the EGR valve as the car doesn't feel as spritey as it once did. Cleaning it out doesn't look to hard but not a particularly nice job and was thinking of buying a bypass kit..
To the untrained mechanic like me, it seems to make sense. Why feed an engine exhaust gases instead of clean air. Obviously it's to keep emissions down of certain pollutants.
So what are the pros and cons of EGR pass kit. Do they improve/restore performance, What about fuel economy, is that improved.
Are there any drawbacks fitting one, such as engine damage or failure to pass emissions on MOT day.
I would be interested and grateful to hear your views on things i don't fully understand.
All the very best to you all,
Johnny
Old 13th October 2020, 22:16   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

In a word they don't improve performance or fuel consumption
Just clean the original and disable it the result is the same

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 06:46   #3
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Also worth cleaning the inlet manifold too as itll probably be in the same state. Have a search fot Artics how too. Rasy nut mwssy job.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 07:25   #4
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
In a word they don't improve performance or fuel consumption
Just clean the original and disable it the result is the same

Russ
Hi Russ, hope ya well.

Yes, thats all I did. I cleaned it all out, and just pushed a small bolt into the end of the vacuum pipe, then pushed the vacuum pipe into a little gap on the EGR, it actually looks like the pipe is going somewhere lol.

Did it make any difference? Probably not, but it makes you feel better. Plus I know it won't fill up with gunk again now its disconnected.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 12:20   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Also worth cleaning the inlet manifold too as itll probably be in the same state. Have a search fot Artics how too. Rasy nut mwssy job.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
As above clean out the manifold & EGR, wipe the MAP over with carb cleaner, then instead of purchasing a bypass EGR cut the little hose pipe from the EGR put a 3mm solid bar or broken drill end bit into the hose pipe coming from the EGR and join back up.

I use some nylon rod 3mm

I have also gutted some EGR which in effect is then a bypass original EGR.

We use these at the Nano meets when we had them

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 16:02   #6
johnnyb44

Rover 75

This has been invaluable advice and thank you all.
A quick Question though is, if you cut the small tube and stick a small dowel in it on the part connected to the EGR as in the pictures, what do you do with the other piece of tube that's been cut. Does that need to be blanked off as well. Sorry if i sound nieve but I'm not really mechanically minded (but i do like having a go at things)
Does blocking this tube like you've shown essentially do the same thing as an EGR bypass kit.
Many thanks,
Johnny
EDIT,,, I've reread it again and understand what you mean now. Slide the other end of cut pipe back over to meet the other one. Essentially your sticking a piece of plastic dowel in between the cut pipes and join them back together

Last edited by johnnyb44; 14th October 2020 at 16:08.. Reason: ..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 17:39   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
This has been invaluable advice and thank you all.
A quick Question though is, if you cut the small tube and stick a small dowel in it on the part connected to the EGR as in the pictures, what do you do with the other piece of tube that's been cut. Does that need to be blanked off as well. Sorry if i sound nieve but I'm not really mechanically minded (but i do like having a go at things)
Does blocking this tube like you've shown essentially do the same thing as an EGR bypass kit.
Many thanks,
Johnny
Quote:
EDIT,,, I've reread it again and understand what you mean now. Slide the other end of cut pipe back over to meet the other one. Essentially your sticking a piece of plastic dowel in between the cut pipes and join them back together
HI John.
Yes that's correct doing it that way if you ever wanted to go back to using it in the conventional way you just remove the dowel

Here is one i added the Dowel to 12 months ago & recently changed all the filter on again this year so i was able to check the EGR out after 12 months, or there about.

This was what the EGR looked like when it was removed roughly 12 months previous along with the manifold, as we know there is no point in just cleaning the EGR and leaving the manifold.

Clean manifold & EGR / MAP fitted during it's service.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 18:06   #8
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

That's an interesting photo, what it looks like 12 months later. Good stuff!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 19:27   #9
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Blimey that's a bit of an eye opener to say the least. This thread has been a great help and can't thank you all enough for the clear advice and photos given. This job is now definitely on my list of things to do.
All the best and many thanks again