Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2024, 15:03   #1
Sorello
Regular poster
 
Sorello's Avatar
 
MG ZT 190

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bognor Regis
Posts: 41
Thanks: 35
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Exclamation P0304 error spark plug servicing

I have a 2005 MG ZT and had an engine error message P0304 which is misfire on cylinder 4. I think it's a faulty spark plug but my garage would not do a spark plug replacement in a full service as they said it's too awkward to get to the plugs on this MG ZT.


Is that the case with this vehicle, should I try another garage and would it be expensive?


Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Sorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 16:08   #2
Jeff Turbo
Loves to post
 
MGZT cdti

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 484
Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorello View Post
I have a 2005 MG ZT and had an engine error message P0304 which is misfire on cylinder 4. I think it's a faulty spark plug but my garage would not do a spark plug replacement in a full service as they said it's too awkward to get to the plugs on this MG ZT.


Is that the case with this vehicle, should I try another garage and would it be expensive?


Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Yes , and it's not too awkward to replace the plug/s if you know what your doing. Clearly your garage doesn't
__________________
1958 White Ford Consul Convertible
1965 Gold Ford Zodiac Executive
1997 Blue Jaguar Xk8 Convertible
2003 Green MGZT 260 Project
2004 Monogram Poseidon MGZT cdti
2004 Pearl Black MGZT 260
Jeff Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 18:15   #3
Matt_75
Gets stuck in
 
Matt_75's Avatar
 
75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: North Somerset
Posts: 575
Thanks: 13
Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Default

There's an access panel on the bulkhead:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=120114

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=166829

Awkward, but certainly shouldn't be beyond a professional. Your fault could also be caused by a failing coil.
__________________
Matt

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)

Last edited by Matt_75; 11th April 2024 at 18:18..
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2024, 18:51   #4
Sorello
Regular poster
 
Sorello's Avatar
 
MG ZT 190

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bognor Regis
Posts: 41
Thanks: 35
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks both!
Sorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2024, 14:51   #5
TBennet
Regular poster
 
MG ZT-T 190

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Manchester
Posts: 61
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorello View Post
my garage would not do a spark plug replacement in a full service
If they meant they wouldn't include doing that in the standard cost they quote for a service, that sounds fair enough to me.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2024, 15:33   #6
Sorello
Regular poster
 
Sorello's Avatar
 
MG ZT 190

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bognor Regis
Posts: 41
Thanks: 35
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Yes I think that was it. Still a bit penny-pinching IMO.
Sorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2024, 16:12   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Former Middlesex
Posts: 20,510
Thanks: 1,587
Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBennet View Post
If they meant they wouldn't include doing that in the standard cost they quote for a service, that sounds fair enough to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorello View Post
Yes I think that was it. Still a bit penny-pinching IMO.
Hi Sorello,

Having changed the sparking plugs on the right-hand bank myself I'm with the garage and Tim on this one.

You either have to remove the manifold chamber which involves about fifteen disconnections or take off the windscreen wipers and remove the scuttle cover to reach the plugs through a removable panel after unscrewing the plug-top ignition coils in a restricted place! It's quite simply a painful job. Fortunately the original triple electrode plugs last well beyond the service schedule period.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2024, 20:24   #8
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,391
Thanks: 105
Thanked 513 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorello View Post
I have a 2005 MG ZT and had an engine error message P0304 which is misfire on cylinder 4. I think it's a faulty spark plug but my garage would not do a spark plug replacement in a full service as they said it's too awkward to get to the plugs on this MG ZT.


Is that the case with this vehicle, should I try another garage and would it be expensive?


Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Any garage which refuses to carry out a simple spark plug replacement does not deserve any customer's business.My advice will be take your custom somewhere else!.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 17:51   #9
Sorello
Regular poster
 
Sorello's Avatar
 
MG ZT 190

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bognor Regis
Posts: 41
Thanks: 35
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Sorello,

Having changed the sparking plugs on the right-hand bank myself I'm with the garage and Tim on this one.

You either have to remove the manifold chamber which involves about fifteen disconnections or take off the windscreen wipers and remove the scuttle cover to reach the plugs through a removable panel after unscrewing the plug-top ignition coils in a restricted place! It's quite simply a painful job. Fortunately the original triple electrode plugs last well beyond the service schedule period.

Simon

Thanks for that info Simon. Makes me think another garage was lying when they said they replaced the spark plugs, it was no problem, and they threw away the old plugs, so I never saw them.
Sorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006-2023, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd