Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th May 2016, 17:56   #41
andyorkney

Rover 75 tourer

Default Intercooler

I had similar problem for a while, and struggled with identifying the colour of smoke. I inspected the intercooler and noticed it was gumming up with oil deposites. In the end I bought a replacement intercooler with fixed down pipe (no o-rings) and it solved the smoking problem. Seems it was holed. Improved mpg too. However wasn't cheap (£120 I think) and took a bit of effort to fit!

And of course your intercooler might not be the issue...
andyorkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 18:19   #42
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyorkney View Post
I had similar problem for a while, and struggled with identifying the colour of smoke. I inspected the intercooler and noticed it was gumming up with oil deposites. In the end I bought a replacement intercooler with fixed down pipe (no o-rings) and it solved the smoking problem. Seems it was holed. Improved mpg too. However wasn't cheap (£120 I think) and took a bit of effort to fit!

And of course your intercooler might not be the issue...
How did you get on with fitting the intercooler with the fixed elbow? Only ask as the original has tomhve the elbow removed because of the way it slides onto the fittings.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 20:54   #43
andyorkney

Rover 75 tourer

It wasn't the easiest job, had to take a fair few bits off the front of the car. Got away with loosening the fan housing rather than a total removal. There was a plastic bracket that I should have removed to make space but having just recharged the aircon I nibbled the plastic with side cutters to give me enough space to get the fan moved without having to disconnect all the pipes. Think also had to get one end of radiator to float free before the solid neck would go. Was satisfying getting it all done and back together. Plus I re routed the bonnet release cables that someone had clearly messed up during another repair/service job. The solid aluminium intercooler I think will last forever
andyorkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 06:49   #44
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Has this problem been sorted yet ?
Atlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 08:29   #45
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Has this problem been sorted yet ?
Yes...after trying pretty much everything to avoidan expensive fix I ended up with an expensive fix.

4 new recon injectors.

Even with toaf telling me the injectors were fine ( all balanced and all nearly at 0mm³ ) it was still smokey and smelly when revved. Once I managed to get them out I found that 2 out of the 4 injectors had blowback, one severe because the clamp post was broken and there was no sealing washer. All the nozzles were severely caked in carbon. Which I reckon was causing spray issues.

I guess I could have possibly got away with just 2 injectors andna really good clean but just went for it.

Also I fitted a new intercooler hose as mine was well passed it sell by date, removed the new o rings that I had put in and replaced with vitons and then held the elbow in place with a little self tapper.

Smoke and smell significantly reduced however there is still a slight haze but I think this is down to residue in the intercooler and inlet manifold.

Also I unplugged the EGR.

Significant improvement in performance. You can feel yourself being pushed into you seat on acceleration and I can hit 90mph easily. Before it was a real struggle to get there.

And then the DMF failed...the car is now in my garage waiting parts. Should be done this weekend.
Old 17th June 2016, 08:46   #46
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Yes...after trying pretty much everything to avoidan expensive fix I ended up with an expensive fix.

And then the DMF failed...the car is now in my garage waiting parts. Should be done this weekend.

DMF failure ?? This is supposed to be very rare on these cars. What were the symptoms/methods used for diagnosis ?

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 13:16   #47
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
DMF failure ?? This is supposed to be very rare on these cars. What were the symptoms/methods used for diagnosis ?

Pete
Pete, when I get the chance I'll post a video.

I had an intermittent knock IN the flywheel end of the cover. This started after I inadvertently stalled the car in 4th while trying to select 2nd.

Disappeared when clutch depressed etc,etc.

Frenchmike suggested dmf....which right now looks to be spot on!

Now its been removed I've got approx 60mm play between the 2 wheels and on top of that it rocks a good 2mmm backwards and forwards.

Last items ( bolts ) have turned up to day so plumbing permitting ( new shower room) I'll get it all back together this weekend.

Last edited by Daveluck; 17th June 2016 at 13:23..