Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2018, 14:54   #1
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Unhappy Mk2 diesel, low fuel pressure & stalling, HELP please

I haven't been around for a while, family and health issues.

Anyway, after many years of faultless service my diesel stalled last night.
Engine management light came on and a few seconds later the engine died. Fortunately I was on a quiet road and was able to pull over and put the hazards on and turn everything else off.
Car would restart but only a few hundred yards before the same happened.

Now the car had been mot'd in the morning and serviced, the garage/mechanic we have used for some 20 years on all the cars we have had in that time. So I called the man and left a message that I would try and get the car to his workshop, about a mile away.

I managed to get the car half way with a couple of 'stops' and took the opportunity to call my wife to come to the garage. When I restarted the car I was able to drive the last 1/2 mile without another stop.

9:30 this morning the mechanic called as he had listened to the messages and gone to look at my car, he felt guilty. Said he had checked the codes and all he could find was a 'low fuel pressure' (never gave me a code as such) so he replaced the new fuel filter was another new filter and it appeared to be running fine with no further codes.

My eldest son took me over to collect the car about 1:30, about 2 1/2 miles away. The drive home was uneventful until 1/4 mile from home when the eml light came on and the engine cut out. Managed to get the car home after about 5 stop/starts.

So, assuming I have the same 'low fuel pressure' fault. Where and what do I look for?

A bit of additional info, might be useful ?? might not. Earlier this week my wife's car would not start, low battery, so I jump started her car using the 75. Also for a few years since our youngest son moved home, his furniture occupies the garage and not the 75.
I just checked and the plenum if dry
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:13   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Stephen.
Even though you have an 05 plate diesel do you know if it as the under bonnet fuel pump or not, I have seen some late models with them?

If it does is it noisy, again if it does check the wiring to the pump, maybe remove the plug and give it a quick spray with electrical contact cleaner isopropyl.

Also try removing the low pressure plug on top of the fuel filter and clean that.

After checking the above post back and let us know

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:25   #3
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Hi Arctic,

I'm 99% certain only one pump, however pic three in this post is what I have.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=1200954

Which is the connector on the fuel filter, sorry but no sure which is which anymore!
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Last edited by sln8458; 3rd March 2018 at 15:29..
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:32   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

P1260 pre delivery pressure too low for starting, is logged every time the ignition is turned to position 2 and the pump allowed to time out, i.e. when using diagnostic equipment to read fault codes etc

The single ITP system is exceptionally reliable, when the car doesn't start/cuts out, is the oil pressure warning lamp illuminated?, and when you say you've checked the plenum, is the pollen filter damp?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:33   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Hi Arctic,

I'm 99% certain only one pump, however pic three in this post is what I have.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=1200954

SteveN
HI Steven.
If your engine is the same as in photo 3 above then you have the under bonnet pump, maybe go out and check to see if you can see a fuel pump next to the back of the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14163.jpg (120.3 KB, 36 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:41   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
P1260 pre delivery pressure too low for starting, is logged every time the ignition is turned to position 2 and the pump allowed to time out, i.e. when using diagnostic equipment to read fault codes etc

The single ITP system is exceptionally reliable, when the car doesn't start/cuts out, is the oil pressure warning lamp illuminated?, and when you say you've checked the plenum, is the pollen filter damp?

Brian
Brian,

The eml comes on, the engine then dies and following this the oil can light comes on. (lunchtime I did get a message on the dash 'low engine oil pressure' as the engine died.)

edit: Pollen filter is dry, with no 'tide' mark evidence.
Rear seat cup holders.

Last edited by sln8458; 3rd March 2018 at 15:47..
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:46   #7
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Steven.
If your engine is the same as in photo 3 above then you have the under bonnet pump, maybe go out and check to see if you can see a fuel pump next to the back of the battery.
Arctic,
I should pay more attention , pic two shows my engine with no UBP, pic three implied it was the same a s two but with the additional FBH.

Just to confirm I have been and looked and there is nothing on the firewall beside the battery

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 3rd March 2018, 15:47   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Pull the plug out of the fuel filter housing and see what happens then.
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:48   #9
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Pull the plug out of the fuel filter housing and see what happens then.
Forgive me, but what will this establish?

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 3rd March 2018, 16:01   #10
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Guys,

Just been and removed both fuel lines and the electrical connector from the fuel filter. Cleaned the fuel line connectors and the re-connect all 3.

Engine starts and within seconds the eml light comes on and the engine shuts down.

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.