Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th July 2018, 16:37   #1
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Default Battery problems

Hi All,
My car has stood idle for a while due to health problems.
I was cleared to drive a couple of weeks back, so I checked the car early last week (Tuesday) & it would not start, tried but failed. So I put it on charge for about 5 hours and then on Wednesday drove for about 70 miles (35 each way).
Today I when to use the car and it didn't have enough in the battery to start again?
I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, with a Bosch Silver Plus. Battery voltage now is 12.13V (+/- multi-meter accuracy).
Nothing has been left turned on and no incar satnav to drain the battery.
Any thoughts?

Also, would getting a Ctek 5.0 charger be of any benefit as I will not be using the car regularly now.

Thanks
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 16:48   #2
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Glad to hear that you appear to be on the mend.

I believe the usual advice is to charge the battery for 24 hours - but I'm far from being an expert on the matter.

A trickle charger for cars that have infrequent usage is a good idea, but you can get a similar device at Lidl (and other stores) for about 1/4 of the price of a ctek
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 17:18   #3
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Hi All,
I was cleared to drive a couple of weeks back, so I checked the car early last week (Tuesday) & it would not start, tried but failed. So I put it on charge for about 5 hours and then on Wednesday drove for about 70 miles (35 each way).
Today I when to use the car and it didn't have enough in the battery to start again?
I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, with a Bosch Silver Plus. Battery voltage now is 12.13V (+/- multi-meter accuracy).
Any thoughts?

Also, would getting a Ctek 5.0 charger be of any benefit as I will not be using the car regularly now.

Thanks
SteveN
Again sounds like the battery has died - it may be taking a charge but not holding it. It may well have 12v across it when it's off-load but not have the capacity to start the car - you probably need to take it to Halfords or auto electrician and get them to drop test it. i.e. stick a big load across it and see what the voltage drops down to. If you've got long arms or an assistant you can see what the voltage drops down to when you try to start the car, anything less than about 10v is a good indicator the battery has had it.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 17:22   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Again sounds like the battery has died - it may be taking a charge but not holding it. It may well have 12v across it when it's off-load but not have the capacity to start the car - you probably need to take it to Halfords or auto electrician and get them to drop test it. i.e. stick a big load across it and see what the voltage drops down to. If you've got long arms or an assistant you can see what the voltage drops down to when you try to start the car, anything less than about 10v is a good indicator the battery has had it.
12.13V is not fully charged. Leave it charging for 24 hours as suggested. Then leave it disconnected overnight and check voltage in the morning. If it is still at 12.1ish volts then it is toast.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 17:27   #5
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
12.13V is not fully charged. Leave it charging for 24 hours as suggested. Then leave it disconnected overnight and check voltage in the morning. If it is still at 12.1ish volts then it is toast.

Cheers,
Glenn
I would have thought a 70 mile drive should have adequately charged the battery, unless the alternator is not charging properly?

Shame with a lot of modern batteries are sealed so you cannot check each cell with a hydrometer.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 17:28   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Thanks for your comments.

I can get my son to read the meter while I crank later tonight. will post the cranking voltage later.
I'll pull the battery later tonight and leave it on charge for 24hrs and test in the morning. see where we are then.

Note: my ref to 12.13v is the current voltage of the discharged battery.

Thanks
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 10th July 2018, 17:29   #7
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I would have thought a 70 mile drive should have adequately charged the battery, unless the alternator is not charging properly?

Shame with a lot of modern batteries are sealed so you cannot check each cell with a hydrometer.

That was my thoughts too, twas a sunny day so no lights or demister!

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 10th July 2018, 17:42   #8
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Hi All,
Any thoughts?

Thanks
SteveN

Hi

I bought an AA solar charger for my campervan (best reviews). Unfortunately it couldn't cope with main battery and leisure batteries.
Yours for free plus postage (I would guess around £3.50) or anyone else interested
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 17:45   #9
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Alternators are not very good at charging a flat battery. When I ran the battery down on my Discovery , Land Rover assistance engineer , having jump started it, said run it with the headlamps on, to increase the load on the electrical system to push up the alternator output voltage. It seemed to work but I am no expert. Below a battery state chart from another forum

Last edited by RoverP480; 10th July 2018 at 17:51..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 06:28   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It's most likely that, having stood for a while in a fully discharged state, the battery is now incapable of holding a full charge.

I would just replace the battery and start from there.

On modern cars batteries are really service items with a lifespan of 5-8 years only if kept in a state close to fully charged at all times.

This one is good value

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Exide-...UAAOSwCGVX6115

Last edited by MSS; 12th July 2018 at 06:36..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote