Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2018, 09:40   #1
kitt
Avid contributor

BMW F30 Had a MG ZT

Post FBH conversion from remote to GSM unit

FBH conversion from remote to GSM unit

I converted my FBH from a remote control to a GSM unit and thought I would share the parts used just in case anyone else wants to do the same.

4 Channel Switch with Input GSM Module Phone Remote Control Switch
eBay item number: 253722939278

U.FL/IPX Connector to RP SMA Female Adapter - Pigtail RG 178 Cable
eBay item number: 112981023504

Ok so why the SMA Female adapter? That’s because the Antenna that comes with the GSM box is not very big and if you want to use an old Wifi router Antenna then you need to convert the cable as it will need the centre pin as GSM and Wifi Antenna differ by this pin.

Over all very impressed with the GSM box, after setup you text “ZZ” to it (Found the ZZ (Turn on) and ZS (Turn off) commands not listed in the manual) but my son had fitted an older version to his 75 and we just tried the commands and they work great otherwise its R1on etc.

Car texts back “Heater Started” etc so can’t wait for the cold weather now
kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 15:21   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

could you add a wiring diagram?
cheers

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 20:52   #3
kitt
Avid contributor

BMW F30 Had a MG ZT

Hi Macafee2

Look on https://www.gsm-uk.net/ its the GSM V18.0q 2018.pdf this shows all ya need.

But if you need more detail I am sure I can get my Son Jamie to send ya a how too for the 3 wires.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:21   #4
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt View Post
FBH conversion from remote to GSM unit

I converted my FBH from a remote control to a GSM unit and thought I would share the parts used just in case anyone else wants to do the same.

4 Channel Switch with Input GSM Module Phone Remote Control Switch
eBay item number: 253722939278

U.FL/IPX Connector to RP SMA Female Adapter - Pigtail RG 178 Cable
eBay item number: 112981023504

Ok so why the SMA Female adapter? That’s because the Antenna that comes with the GSM box is not very big and if you want to use an old Wifi router Antenna then you need to convert the cable as it will need the centre pin as GSM and Wifi Antenna differ by this pin.

Over all very impressed with the GSM box, after setup you text “ZZ” to it (Found the ZZ (Turn on) and ZS (Turn off) commands not listed in the manual) but my son had fitted an older version to his 75 and we just tried the commands and they work great otherwise its R1on etc.

Car texts back “Heater Started” etc so can’t wait for the cold weather now
Do you have the GSM programmed so that the cabin heater comes on after approx 5 minutes, if so would you do a test for me please ? Start the heater with ZZ, let relay 2 bring on the cabin heater after 5 minutes and then switch off with ZS, leave a short while then start again with ZZ and tell me if relay 2 works a second time bringing on the cabin heater or does it fail to come on ?

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 06:17   #5
kitt
Avid contributor

BMW F30 Had a MG ZT

Hi Rob

I don't use relay 2 for the cabin heaters, but while we tested with "ZZ" the second relay did turn on (Click) after 5 mins so yes I think it will turn on the heater, but I did not run a second time so can't confirm if relay 2 comes on again.

Jon
Old 10th July 2018, 20:55   #6
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt View Post
Hi Rob

I don't use relay 2 for the cabin heaters, but while we tested with "ZZ" the second relay did turn on (Click) after 5 mins so yes I think it will turn on the heater, but I did not run a second time so can't confirm if relay 2 comes on again.

Jon
Some of the GSM units have a programming fault that fails to bring on R2 once it has been switched off on a previous cycle just wondered if yours was the same but if you don't use R2 then no matter

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 10:06   #7
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Just wondering,

What are peoples thoughts on fitting one of these GSM units inside the front wing behind the wheel arch liner??
I currently have a French Mike unit but the phone has died and I don't have an old one to reuse. I need to but something and this is more a more versatile option.

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote