Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2016, 15:27   #1
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Default more problems ...desperate for advice

Hi evryone, I really need you hlp and advice

I have 2000, manual, diesel not the 135. The car has done 210k km which is about 130k miles.

I have papers that show thw the car being regularly serviced and also with bills for replacement clutch etc.

This car is becoming a money pit. But 'Im now in so deep I have to keep going. The Mrs has so far been quite understanding but I think I'm running out of time.

I am incredible hacked off and really begining to regret buying this car.

However that said if I can sort out this last issue I should have a mechanically reasonable car. I'll also know what to look out for if I ever buy another one

So from buying this car in Feb and travelling about 1200km I have

1. changed front struts, springs and top bearings
2. lower engine mount
3. PCV and all the other filters
4. rear discs and pads
5. front pads
6. cleaned EGR, flushed intercooler, replaced o rings
7. Gear box oil - did this wearing boxing gloves as i didnt feel it was awkward enough
8.replaced bumpers
9. fan upgrade
10. new MAF
11. Renault 5 mod - what a massive differnce for a very small amount of work

I need to replace the crank pulley which is on order.

and now the car is smoking...but not in a Jim Carey good way

Its blue and very acrid. So I guess Im burning oil. I noticed before that the exhaust is fumey but this is bad.

If i start the car and idle i get little puffs of blue smoke, rev the car to 1500rpm get quit a bit, got to 2000 and its really quite bad. Disappears after temp hits 75ish.

I did have black smoke wehn warmed up but this has signifiantly improved since fitting the new maf and intercooler rings.

While looking through the paper work I noticed that the car has had a new oil cooler fitted? I have no idea why.

Anyone any ideas?
Cheers

Dave
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 15:38   #2
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

Hi Dave sorry I can't help , but can you please tell me what the Renault 5 mod is please

Hope you get the help you need,
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 15:43   #3
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Maf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Hi evryone, I really need you hlp and advice

I have 2000, manual, diesel not the 135. The car has done 210k km which is about 130k miles.

I have papers that show thw the car being regularly serviced and also with bills for replacement clutch etc.

This car is becoming a money pit. But 'Im now in so deep I have to keep going. The Mrs has so far been quite understanding but I think I'm running out of time.

I am incredible hacked off and really begining to regret buying this car.

However that said if I can sort out this last issue I should have a mechanically reasonable car. I'll also know what to look out for if I ever buy another one

So from buying this car in Feb and travelling about 1200km I have

1. changed front struts, springs and top bearings
2. lower engine mount
3. PCV and all the other filters
4. rear discs and pads
5. front pads
6. cleaned EGR, flushed intercooler, replaced o rings
7. Gear box oil - did this wearing boxing gloves as i didnt feel it was awkward enough
8.replaced bumpers
9. fan upgrade
10. new MAF
11. Renault 5 mod - what a massive differnce for a very small amount of work

I need to replace the crank pulley which is on order.

and now the car is smoking...but not in a Jim Carey good way

Its blue and very acrid. So I guess Im burning oil. I noticed before that the exhaust is fumey but this is bad.

If i start the car and idle i get little puffs of blue smoke, rev the car to 1500rpm get quit a bit, got to 2000 and its really quite bad. Disappears after temp hits 75ish.

I did have black smoke wehn warmed up but this has signifiantly improved since fitting the new maf and intercooler rings.

While looking through the paper work I noticed that the car has had a new oil cooler fitted? I have no idea why.

Anyone any ideas?
Cheers

Dave
Remove the Connector from the top of the Maf and see if it improves matters.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 15:54   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Dave if the smoke smells acrid then likely it is unburnt diesel. Try a dose of decent injector cleaner, and if that doesn't work you may need to look at the injectors.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 16:02   #5
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrover2013 View Post
Hi Dave sorry I can't help , but can you please tell me what the Renault 5 mod is please

Hope you get the help you need,
I'm sure the Renault 5 mod is we're you fit a Renault 5 thermostat in your top coolant hose to save changing the original thermo because most owners find it awkward too do
Alan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 16:41   #6
RoverRyan
Avid contributor

Rover 75

I think the smoke is coming from the turbo

to check if a turbo is knackered then you need to remove the pipes to it with the engine NOT running and try to move the spindle up and down.

if the oil seal in the turbo has gone then expect blue smoke (a tip to help protect the turbo and engine in general is never switch off at high revs)

black smoke would be a sign of over fueling or poor injectors.

white smoke would be a sign of not enough fuel, both can be related to poor timing

a replacement turbo may be found in a breakers yard for around £100
if you buy new or reconditioned you will have the peace of mind its not going to go again, this will be more cost effective long term.

My Car...

was the 97,610th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
was the 2,001st 75 1.8 T Connoisseur to be made out of 2,392
was the 10,746th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by RoverRyan; 10th April 2016 at 17:15..
RoverRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 16:51   #7
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

thanks for all your replies

sorry, yes the renault 5 mod is the in line stat addition.

The smoking is getting progressively worse as I watch it. I now have plumes when I rev and it now constantly puffs blue smoke. Definatley blue...

Strangely I have not noticed the oil level going down?

To top it all I think the rubber in the top right engine mount ( the spoked rubber ) is shot. I can see splits in it

Would performance be impacted if its the turbo oil seals? I been moaning about the lack of grunt the car has, especially when going up hills. Always have to change down into 4th.

What a dsaster this has turned out to be!
Old 10th April 2016, 17:21   #8
RoverRyan
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverRyan View Post
I think the smoke is coming from the turbo

to check if a turbo is knackered then you need to remove the pipes to it with the engine NOT running and try to move the spindle up and down.

if the oil seal in the turbo has gone then expect blue smoke (a tip to help protect the turbo and engine in general is never switch off at high revs)

use this info here to check your turbo, if it does not move excessively then you can probably rule it out.

the engine oil would probably to be noticeable in a short space of time, remember a dipstick is not an accurate measuring device.

oil can also get through valve stem oil seals which are common, the worst problem is the piston rings, which would also cause oil to burn.

if the turbo is at fault it needs sorting, if oil is getting through to the induction side then the engine will simply run on it and will not stop until its seized solid, this is called a runaway

REMEMBER these are old cars now and problems like engine mounts perished and turbo faults are common on all cars of this age, just depends on how much you like the car and how much cash is in your back pocket.

My Car...

was the 97,610th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
was the 2,001st 75 1.8 T Connoisseur to be made out of 2,392
was the 10,746th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by RoverRyan; 10th April 2016 at 17:24.. Reason: add more info
RoverRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 17:26   #9
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverRyan View Post
use this info here to check your turbo, if it does not move excessively then you can probably rule it out.

the engine oil would probably to be noticeable in a short space of time, remember a dipstick is not an accurate measuring device.

oil can also get through valve stem oil seals which are common, the worst problem is the piston rings, which would also cause oil to burn.

if the turbo is at fault it needs sorting, if oil is getting through to the induction side then the engine will simply run on it and will not stop until its seized solid, this is called a runaway

REMEMBER these are old cars now and problems like engine mounts perished and turbo faults are common on all cars of this age, just depends on how much you like the car and how much cash is in your back pocket.

loads of love for the car but no more money!! Still as I said if I an getthe thing running then it should be like new!!

Thanks for the response.
Old 10th April 2016, 17:29   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Try to get a remap up to at least 135 BHP. And unplug the MAF.

@ 130,000 miles I doubt anything important has worn out, more likely to be someone hasn't done the servicing correctly.

Do the cheap, easy, checks first..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote