Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 17:47   #1
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Default MOT Fail :(

Just had the GF's car in for its annual cash extraction inspection, and dratted thing's failed.

Better yet, it's failed on "dangerously corroded rear spring mount" which is the upper arm, which appear to be expensive unobtainium at the moment - almost nobody's got one, most factors don't even list it, and it'll be next week if I order from Rimmers, and just to add to the fun I'm about to spend 6 days a week out of the country for the next 3 months, so really don't have time to try and fix it and get the thing retested, and can't even get the car to somewhere that could fit it for me because of the "not here" thing.

Excessively corroded NSF brake lines - lots of places willing to sell them to me, if I can get the old one off and take it to them - which is going to be pretty much impossible because I'm out of the country, and the GF works 8-6 for the rest of the week.

So - we may well have a not-that-bad 75 about to need to be got rid of and replaced because a) Parts are slow to arrive and b) there's no means to get the car to anywhere that can fix it.

Not best happy today. Especially as there's a heated windscreen on order for this thing.

I guess I could let it rot on the driveway for a few months and see about getting her a "Thisuldoo" in the meanwhile, but ARGH.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:49   #2
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

http://http://www.mgroverpartfinder.com/Distributor-RGG104972---ARM+ASSEMBLY-UPPER+REAR+SUSPENSION.aspx?back=%2fShowProducts.as px%3fPageIndex%3d%26part%3dRGG104972%26browse%3d
http://http://www.mgroverpartfinder.com/Distributor-RGG104962---ASSEMBLY-UPPER+REAR+SUSPENSION.aspx?back=%2fShowProducts.as px%3fPageIndex%3d%26part%3dRGG104962%26browse%3d

Last edited by Atlan; 23rd March 2017 at 20:11..
Atlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:04   #3
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Here.....https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/r75...-and-rgg104972

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:09   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
Beat me to it :-)
As you're in Bolton, I can recommend Horners in Swinton, they always MOT my 75 and do any major repair work on the car, I can thoroughly recommend them, I've used them for years, Phil who works there has been working on the cars for years and really knows them and if you want to supply your own parts, they're OK with that, I've even had stuff from Matt delivered straight to them whe the car has been in for repair,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:48   #5
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
"Out of stock"

I did try there first Matt's shipped me a few things over the years.

Euro Car Parts (Any part - any car!) have no record of the part existing. Andrew Page likewise couldn't find a listing for it. Tried a few other factors, who also couldn't find it listed - Rimmers I try to avoid on the basis of expensive and normally slow to deliver, and as for XPart itself - I've had no good experiences with Xpart centres around here, so was hoping to not go that way.

Horners I know, but they tend to be on the pricey side, although they also tend to not break things and then charge you for the fixing which is good.

I've ordered an arm which should hopefully be at my local Argos on Monday, and then I try and orchestrate things from a thousand miles away to get it, the GF and the car in the same garage at the same time. Tomorrow I spend phoning garages and trying to book the car in on spec hoping the parts are where I need them when I need them.

Would be nice if I were able to hands-on the arm before it gets fitted so I can douse it in Ziebart or similar before it's fitted, but that's not going to happen.

I wouldn't be so p***ed off about it having failed, if it weren't for the failure being a relatively expensive one, and having spent 4 hours this morning wrestling with the carpets and console to grab the brake compensator so I could squidge and weld it to try and get *some* handbrake response so it wouldn't fail on that - I've done that job twice now, and it doesn't get any better - doing it single handed tends to (for me) involve the application of a crowbar to force the carpet to fold the way I want.

Anyhoo - let's see if I can get this thing through its retest - my one's up next, and I've a "Rover 75 Front Suspension Part Work in only 10 editions" growing in my living room - I'm thinking giving pinch bolts a drowning in PlusGas and the Acetone/ATF mix I have for at least a couple of weeks before trying to replace the full shock/spring assembly.
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:30   #6
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Perhaps your posting abroad was at short notice. But, if you did have some warning and some concern as to how the MOT would go then, perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, you might now be thinking you should have put it in for an MOT a month ago?

At least that way you would have had some time to resolve the problem whilst still here.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:46   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Sounds like you need an "ARTIC" handbrake compensator fitted, after he fitted mine I had a wonderful 3 notch handbrake.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:33   #8
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Perhaps your posting abroad was at short notice. But, if you did have some warning and some concern as to how the MOT would go then, perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, you might now be thinking you should have put it in for an MOT a month ago?

At least that way you would have had some time to resolve the problem whilst still here.
1 Weeks notice - had been jobhunting for 3 months and then a contract jumped at me, so this is really all the time I had - the MOT isn't up until the 16th, so this would normally have been over 3 weeks early, and this will be the first time I've even been out of the country in over 5 years, so hadn't expected it at all.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:40   #9
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Sounds like you need an "ARTIC" handbrake compensator fitted, after he fitted mine I had a wonderful 3 notch handbrake.
The GF's car now has a 3 notch handbrake - the main pain was getting the carpet up - it's rather thicker in the Mk1 Connie than it is in my Mk2 Contemporary, so the fighting was with the carpet to get access to the inspection plate and involved some acrobatics with me standing on my shoulders to get leverage on a 3' crowbar to force the bits round the tunnel to bend - I should have video'd it - I'm sure I'd get far too many views on Youtube

Unfortunately, due to being a) cheap and b) in a bit of a hurry (see post about "1 week to get out of the country") what I ended up doing was bending the staple on the original compensator and then doing the "Mark 1 modification" with a MIG welder - it's not pretty, but it does work, and hopefully nobody will ever need to see it again.

My own car will take a bit more doing - it's *had* the compensator mod done, but unfortunately now needs the rear disks replaced because the inner drum has badly rutted and doesn't get very good contact from the shoes - I guess at least there's no fighting with carpets to replace the rear disks/pads/shoes