Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2021, 14:10   #1
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Default Facelift bootlid plinth

After my previous tussle with a wayward Romanian lorry on the M25, the nearside of my R75 is now mint again after dent removal and a complete repaint.

The insurance payout stretched to having the bootlid repainted due to some rust scabs around the chrome garnish and one particularly large scab on the bootlid on the area under the plinth.

The body man removed the plinth but tells me he had difficulties getting the central two bolts out (two self-tappers appear to have taken their place). One of the end 'starnuts' is missing altogether and the other one has been replaced by another self-tapper.

I haven't taken off the plinth yet, but the whole lot feels very wobbly (care when shutting the lid is needed). I don't think the plastic module has been fixed to the lid with a thick adhesive tape.

I suspect the plinth fixings are likely 'ronnied'. Without looking, I was contemplating a repair using some M6 rivnuts, secured into the rear of the plinth with epoxy. Unless anyone else on here has experience of this and can advise a better method of repair?

Many thanks.

Paul
Old 4th February 2021, 15:37   #2
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
After my previous tussle with a wayward Romanian lorry on the M25, the nearside of my R75 is now mint again after dent removal and a complete repaint.

The insurance payout stretched to having the bootlid repainted due to some rust scabs around the chrome garnish and one particularly large scab on the bootlid on the area under the plinth.

The body man removed the plinth but tells me he had difficulties getting the central two bolts out (two self-tappers appear to have taken their place). One of the end 'starnuts' is missing altogether and the other one has been replaced by another self-tapper.

I haven't taken off the plinth yet, but the whole lot feels very wobbly (care when shutting the lid is needed). I don't think the plastic module has been fixed to the lid with a thick adhesive tape.

I suspect the plinth fixings are likely 'ronnied'. Without looking, I was contemplating a repair using some M6 rivnuts, secured into the rear of the plinth with epoxy. Unless anyone else on here has experience of this and can advise a better method of repair?

Many thanks.

Paul
Or if anyone has a replacement facelift plinth in good condition with all rear fixings intact for sale...
Old 6th February 2021, 08:56   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I don't know if my experience is of any help, but this HowTo may have something of use in your quest. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=78539

See Post 4

TC
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2021, 09:15   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post

Many thanks.

Paul
Instead of putting nuts into the plinth you could use epoxy bonded stainless studs, there would be no difference in how it looks but the stainless items would ensure no future removal problems.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 18:17   #5
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Thanks all. One of the members on this splendid forum has kindly sold me a spare facelift plinth with all fixings intact. I will keep the old one as spare but this will save me too much messing around (hopefully!).
Old 10th February 2021, 11:02   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

I replaced the broken plastic studs,

here:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=306028
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders. Walnut Handbrake Handle

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote