Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th August 2018, 11:38   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Firstly, Thank you all for the really positive and most useful info.

To confirm my locking kit is the sealey set and yes I have the standard 2.5v6 locking plates and the additional mg190 plates too. As the rear cambelt pulleys did not align (by about 2 belt teeth) I decided to check the alignments before slackening the belt.

Basically in the safe position the 180 locking plates fits perfectly and the 190 ones did not suggesting it had been timed in that manner.

Thanks for the engine number info and also heads stamping info, I値l check that tonight if time after work.

I値l keep you updated in case this occurs to anyone else, in the future. But basically the plan is too.

1.)Mark up the belt and pulleys in the current timing config, so if I am wrong or make a mistake I have a reference point to go back too.
2.) slacken the belt main belt and align the camshaft with the 190 plates and then I am hoping the rear belts will re align those couple of degrees and restore faith. If not back to the drawing board.

I have heard it is easier to replace the rear belts first using relative belt position rather than notches and re tensioning off the main cambelt exhaust camshaft.

Also thanks for the info about the belt tensioning pulley. I値l cross check that too when 5 time comes.

Last question am I right in think, that with this engine if miss timed in the wrong timing position (either 180 or 190) there is no chance of damaging the engine I.e the valves hitting the pistons?

Regards

Matt
The timing will be four degrees out timed with 177 tools, but no you won't find the valves hitting the pistons
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote