Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th April 2019, 01:34   #11
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
perhaps if it was not overtightened when fitting it would not cause a problem. IE by turning that extra turn - just to be sure - is what causes the issue?

As I understand it, providing the bolt is refitted oil loss should be minimal or non existent?
Thanks for your Helpful constructive reply Clf.
Its possible what we have both deduced that the culprit "may" be over tightening.
Because admittedly most of the time I've taken it on and off with a battery powered drill but still on a low torque setting.

And yes with the bolt in, not the slightest sign of any oil. Non existent ( even just finger tight)
So I can Live with and manage yet another quirk with our cars before even starting this thread.
But it would have been nice to hear more constructive posts from others. like yourself.
Still not got to the bottom of it ( no pun intended) what is at the bottom ? plastic ,gasket, it cant be brass like the thread I've never had a long bar on it ?

I am still of the opinion that the bolt or housing should shear, shatter or break before causing an engine oil leak.
Therefore in my humble opinion a very bad design.
Thanks Paul
Old 27th April 2019, 07:22   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Morning all, I have also found that overtightening the bolt can compress the cover a little, maybe this causes the penetration of the brass base?

If I get chance later I’ll get the vernier calipers out and measure a non punctured insert.
Old 27th April 2019, 07:34   #13
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Its a good design...

It goes bad when previous owners use the wrong bolt to secure the engine cover, this over length bolt then punctures the base of the brass insert causing an opening!
Hi Trikey which one is the "over Length bolt" ? that to me at least sounds Singular. and which position does this "over length" bolt go in?
great speaking to an expert Thankyou.
Old 27th April 2019, 07:38   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

For us diesel owners should we replace the original bolts with ones a mm or 2 shorter or stick a washer under the bolt head?
I only do mine by hand as a power tool seems overkill but I will bear this in mind, do not over tighten.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 07:39   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
Thankyou Mike Nok, I'm sure trikey will be grateful for your support .
However how do you think my cam cover has been damaged?
And more Importantly how do you think I can fix it .

Thankyou
That's a good question - as has been mentioned either the wrong length of bolt or overtightening are the only obvious suspects. The recommended torque for those bolts is only 8Nm IIRC.

As for fixing it (I currently have 4 cars with this engine but luckily they are all oil tight) I would probably live with it and make sure the bolt is in when the engine is running, or I would make up a thin shouldered 6mm threaded stud and Loctite that in then use a nut to fasten the cover at that point.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 27th April 2019 at 15:04..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 07:43   #16
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i have pondered over this issue for quite sometime(i dont get out much)
so i can add i noticed on my last 75 when removing the cover one of the bolts has a lot thicker flange at the top .so that goes in the hole nxt to the oil filler.
Old 27th April 2019, 07:51   #17
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Who uses a drill to tighten such a bolt? Asking for trouble. Most of the 75's I've owned have this 'problem', it doesn't usually leak as long as the bolt is in place. Just pop a 6mm o ring on the bolt once it's in the cover then replace, even this is unnecessary. Much ado about nuffin', no drama.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 07:54   #18
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

From memory, my CDT was fitted with 2 long and 1 short bolt from new.
Is it possible, while under warranty, that you had the car serviced and the bolts were mixed, causing the damage? The mechanic may have realised his error and replaced the long bolts with short ones. Or even the mechanic at the next service, assuming a 3 year warranty.

Last edited by tourer; 27th April 2019 at 08:23..
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 08:54   #19
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
For us diesel owners should we replace the original bolts with ones a mm or 2 shorter or stick a washer under the bolt head?
I only do mine by hand as a power tool seems overkill but I will bear this in mind, do not over tighten.

macafee2
Thanks for your constructive input MacAfee.
A washer or two under or better over the cover sounds like a good idea to stop the bolt pushing down to far. because under the cover there is a rubber washer.
All my bolts are exactly the same length so why its happened is a mystery, other than over tightening which would have been negligible because I always use it on a low torque setting.
Don't forget we use a power tool to clean our teeth, it all depends on the torque setting.
I'm approaching 180k from new and must have had the cover off at least 20 times . So again I'm amazed how this has come about. Being only a cosmetic acoustic non mechanical part.
I still stand by my original quote. even if Id done 5 million miles. Its a mad bad bonkers design , .Paul

P.s to others wait till it hits you in the rear and then give your 2nd opinion.
Old 27th April 2019, 09:08   #20
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
Thanks for your constructive input MacAfee.
A washer or two under or better over the cover sounds like a good idea to stop the bolt pushing down to far. because under the cover there is a rubber washer.
All my bolts are exactly the same length so why its happened is a mystery, other than over tightening which would have been negligible because I always use it on a low torque setting.
Don't forget we use a power tool to clean our teeth, it all depends on the torque setting.
I'm approaching 180k from new and must have had the cover off at least 20 times . So again I'm amazed how this has come about. Being only a cosmetic acoustic non mechanical part.
I still stand by my original quote. even if Id done 5 million miles. Its a mad bad bonkers design , .Paul

P.s to others wait till it hits you in the rear and then give your 2nd opinion.
I totally agree with you, it is a poor design, asking for trouble, nowhere documented in the service manuals, so check the bolts to ensure they are all the same in EVERY respect, and DO NOT OVERtighten these bolts, is essential.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote