Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2021, 07:08   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

It is now up to parents, with the ability and the time, to encourage the children to prove that they can do things better. Secretly learn about something that they are interested in so they can spout off about it. I always advised youngsters that they should learn enough to be able to spot if their future boss was cheating them.

Good luck to all parents who struggle with all this.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 08:51   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Without a shadow of doubt the provision of online education in the case of public schools as opposed to state schools are miles apart.

It should also be noted that the parents of children who are educated privately are usually by definition able to provide their children with the latest up to date equipment in the home to take advantage of this.

What is not taken into consideration is the damage caused to all children by the inability to interact with their peers.

I have said this previously that the people that should be prioritised for vaccine treatment should they wish to take it up, are healthcare workers, education providers and support staff, and care home staff.

The problem with starting with the elderly as priority, and without appearing to be harsh is the knock on effect of the disruption of the education of children is far more damaging to the economy and society as a whole.

It is considerably easier to shield our elderly than attempt to prevent the transmission of the virus via our children, and the ramifications for future generations by our actions presently.

Both my sister and brother and law are employed as teachers, however employed at opposite ends of the scale so to speak.

My sister works in a private prep school for boys in an affluent area of Newcastle, and my brother in law in a state secondary school in a deprived area of North Tyneside.

The differences in the way the two systems operate are quite stark to say the least.

Finally my own experience of education in the olden days of black and white, consisted of quite a bit of corporal punishment, coupled with teachers spending a lot of time in a smokey staffroom and the stink of Banda ink and strike action by teachers, resulting in being taught in the home of one teacher who refused to come out on strike !!

Yes a lot of teachers were at the time ultra left wing, but not all

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 09:06   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
I must tell my daughter who is maths teacher in a state school in Yorkshire that she has additional time off to go on holiday. It will play havoc with all online lessons she's doing, the phone calls to and from pupils along with the emails from other pupils. Not all within the working day of course but also long into the evenings.
She's not a Marxist sofar as I know but I'm pleased to say she is a fully paid up trade union member.
All the teachers I know are working, supporting as many pupils as they are able.
I think Kev might have been referring to this type of activity ...........THIS or indeed THIS

The similarities between the two articles, and parallels drawn show that any action taken with a thirty year intervening period does not appear to have been successful in the case of teachers in the capital.

I'm would have though that neither my sister or brother in law are motivated by these types of radical activities, and that people who suspect teachers have an "easy time" at the moment, are fairly blinkered to the reality of life.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 09:22   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
I know all teachers are not holiday-seeking Marxists. My dad was one, and he worked most evenings, weekends and holidays.

But the school where my kids go did absolutely jack during the previous lockdown. I expect more of the same this time. The effort from the parents varies, but those on their own, or with jobs, will struggle.

The worst thing is the lack of contact with their peers and the lack of formal structure. School provides this for kids in addition to their technical education. A zoom lesson cannot deliver this. I saw the regression in my kids last time, and suspect it will happen again from tomorrow.

Closing schools is pure evil. The people pushing this are wicked.
Is school a possible path for transmission from parent to child, child to child, child to parent to parent, parent to goodness knows who?

Why should teachers be put at risk?

If schools have not prepared for another lockdown and have no teaching plan in place then that is shameful.

How working parents and employers are dealing with the situation, I don't know.

Just a thought, does Australia have on line (distance) learning?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 10:24   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default A tricky one.

If I base my answer on my own education I always come back to this, I learned to read and write before I started school, I remember my first day and my first school friend from that day. The following years at school left me with memories that are fairly cloudy, I think it's not about the time spent in classes but the quality of that time, social skills have been in decline for many years now and interaction with others has become a lost part of schooling. There have been many years lost in education where schools were only teaching children how to pass sats to keep the school marks up, it didn't benefit the pupils to do this. There's other issues such as disruptive children that may or may not have learning difficulties, each one of those has a teaching assistant to help with inclusion but I can't see a point in that, the schooling will end and the children that have learning difficulties will leave school no better off and with less support, some schools took out insurance policies to protect them from legal action by pupils who had their schooling disrupted by those with difficulties.
The main point I'm raising is that a pupil can continue to learn out of class, their levels of social interaction will not differ much due to technology, it's a recoverable situation and children are mostly resilient to change, In the medium to long term the schools will start to function as normal again, I think it will be a different kind of normal where learning might have more value than it does now, the constant barrage of testing should be consigned to the bin and real lessons constructed beyond a national curriculum should be the new way, we need individual minds in education and not the mass produced sheep of recent years.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 13:27   #16
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
I must tell my daughter who is maths teacher in a state school in Yorkshire that she has additional time off to go on holiday. It will play havoc with all online lessons she's doing, the phone calls to and from pupils along with the emails from other pupils. Not all within the working day of course but also long into the evenings.
She's not a Marxist sofar as I know but I'm pleased to say she is a fully paid up trade union member.
All the teachers I know are working, supporting as many pupils as they are able.
I have two daughters both teachers, and I can fully concur with all you say, their workload has increased exponentially since the Covid-19 disaster and are daily putting their health at risk whilst doing their jobs.

Just remember, the reason we find ourselves in this position simply put, the UK government has made a mess of handling the pandemic, from chaotic disorganisation, mixed messages, ordering the wrong PPE, relaxing lockdown at the wrong time, not listening to those who actually know what they are talking about, all I can say is thank God for the resilience of the great NHS staff, and the scientists who understand the problem.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 14:51   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I have two daughters both teachers, and I can fully concur with all you say, their workload has increased exponentially since the Covid-19 disaster and are daily putting their health at risk whilst doing their jobs.

Just remember, the reason we find ourselves in this position simply put, the UK government has made a mess of handling the pandemic, from chaotic disorganisation, mixed messages, ordering the wrong PPE, relaxing lockdown at the wrong time, not listening to those who actually know what they are talking about, all I can say is thank God for the resilience of the great NHS staff, and the scientists who understand the problem.
Thank goodness it is the fault of the Government, I thought it was people mixing that caused the spread, phew, now I can go out without my mask and mix with others. Touch of sarcasm, yes! I don't say Government has got it all right but neither do I think it is all their fault. It is no one group's fault, it is a combination of mistakes. People are quick to blame government but not ourselves, the public.

Where I have been working, "half" the staff were not wearing masks in the mess room. Management told us that as people were not wearing masks and those that were wearing masks were in the mess room with those that were not, the number of staff in the mini busses was to increase as no one seemed bothered about catching covid. That would not be governments fault but down to us the public if covid spread amongst the staff.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 17:33   #18
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

These aren't marina Brian's words but I totally think he's right .
Why are we vaccinating residents of car homes first .
We should keep them safe as they are now . Vaccines for NHS staff first then roll it out to anyone that needs to work then work upto the retired . I'm sorry if I have used anyone and I didn't mean to it's not a political thing . And I don't want to upset anyone in their retirement . Just keep them safe but get the country back to work first I don like getting on a soap box but some things need saying .
Old 5th January 2021, 18:17   #19
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Without a shadow of doubt the provision of online education in the case of public schools as opposed to state schools are miles apart.

It should also be noted that the parents of children who are educated privately are usually by definition able to provide their children with the latest up to date equipment in the home to take advantage of this.

What is not taken into consideration is the damage caused to all children by the inability to interact with their peers.

I have said this previously that the people that should be prioritised for vaccine treatment should they wish to take it up, are healthcare workers, education providers and support staff, and care home staff.

The problem with starting with the elderly as priority, and without appearing to be harsh is the knock on effect of the disruption of the education of children is far more damaging to the economy and society as a whole.

It is considerably easier to shield our elderly than attempt to prevent the transmission of the virus via our children, and the ramifications for future generations by our actions presently.

Both my sister and brother and law are employed as teachers, however employed at opposite ends of the scale so to speak.

My sister works in a private prep school for boys in an affluent area of Newcastle, and my brother in law in a state secondary school in a deprived area of North Tyneside.

The differences in the way the two systems operate are quite stark to say the least.

Finally my own experience of education in the olden days of black and white, consisted of quite a bit of corporal punishment, coupled with teachers spending a lot of time in a smokey staffroom and the stink of Banda ink and strike action by teachers, resulting in being taught in the home of one teacher who refused to come out on strike !!

Yes a lot of teachers were at the time ultra left wing, but not all

Brian

I don't normally jump into threads such as this but, in the main, I agree with Brian.
I should point out that I am 71 years old and high on the list of clinically vulnerable so, on a purely selfish basis, I would like the vaccine as soon as possible.
One of my best friends is a teacher and she is now working longer hours and devoting herself to assisting those that need the most help. I am sure that this is true of most teachers.
I have offered my services to friends' grandchildren via skype (whatever) to help with their education. I am not a teacher, but particularly well educated.
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 19:20   #20
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Somebody must have been going to Bournemouth. Never heard in any interview I have seen whereby the teaching unions have mentioned the importance of pupils being in the classroom.

o.k. for the binman to croak, after emptying the bin. o.k. for power station worker to keel over as long the green button was pressed etc., etc. There have been some teachers who have continued to work with key worker and disadvantaged children. I don't know if the teachers rotate or not but the issue here, as stated by the unions, is safety. What they choose to ignore is the huge numbers of people who are key and essential workers. I myself work in a facility which we have to work within two meters of each other. So, I have chanced my arm (as have NHS front-line staff) and ignored my own safety and wellbeing for the sake of the many who are sick.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote