Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2021, 17:18   #71
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako2k7 View Post
So guys, ive had my 75 now for nearly 6 years, been a great car. Just wondering what your planning on buying to replace your 75s with when the time comes?

I dont think i'll be putting mine through another MOT as it will need quite a bit of work doing (both front bearings, exhaust, roll bar bushes, rear disks and pads) so will be looking to buy something else in the summer.

The modern cars ive been reading up on (Mondeo, Insignia, Focus, Astra, Citroen DS4) all seem to be plagued with problems
If the body is in good condition, put through MOT, and sort out as needed, much cheaper in the scheme of things, as you rightly said, 'modern' cars are plagued with problems, couple that with poor customer service, incompetent mechanics, etc I would wait to see.
It all depends on what you expect of a car, for longevity and reliability buy Japanese, and ensure it is made in Japan. avoid German unless you have money to burn.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 17:24   #72
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

With huge regrets I am likely to be leaving 75 ownership due to having no time to keep on top of her ongoing issues. It is a very sad occasion for me.

However, her replacement arrived with me last week and reminds me very much of the 75 in that I think it has quite a timeless design, has quite a lot of character, feels very plush and is built in Birmingham by our great British workforce.

Jaguar XF.
You can pick up these pre-facelift models up for not much coin these days and I think they are in a sweet spot of being cheap enough for an everyday man like me to own, and still being in good condition and cared for.

This particular one has done 54000 miles, has quite a clean MOT history, full service history and has been looked after by previous owners (receipts and paperwork backs this up).

It has every option I could want to make life pleasant like heated (and cooled!) seats, heated steering wheel, heated front windscreen and a bunch of other gubbins.

It is painful leaving 75 ownership (though I have no intention of leaving these forums), but a car like this eases the pain somewhat. I like to think if Rover were still going they would be making motors like this.

My only gripe is fuel consumption.
With a 3.0L petrol V6, she's thirsty compared to my 1.8 K-series (which I thought was garbage on fuel!)

Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 17:25   #73
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Whilst a lovely car to drive, the XF seems to have more reliability issues than its fair share (Source Auto Express), so I am hanging on to my X308s (along with the 75s/ZTs of course!
Avoid Jaguars like the Covid-19, a pile of steaming horse manure ( the Jaguar, not Covid!!).
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 17:30   #74
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Avoid Jaguars like the Covid-19, a pile of steaming horse manure ( the Jaguar, not Covid!!).
Mine is lovely
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 17:33   #75
cossie dunc

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Ridiculous statement they are no worse or better than any other modern “luxury” car, I replaced mrs cd zt with a Jaguar XF, had it for 3 years and it never skipped a beat it’s now been replaced by a BMW X5, which I must say I have been very impressed with from a drivers point of view not quite sure if I’ll feel the same the first time it breaks

Scotland's rover 75/mg zt service,repair & enthusiast centre

Used parts.....servicing.......mechanical repairs.......modifications

Call Duncan 07415 251 705
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 21:48   #76
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

The problem is modern stuff sucks you in with its technology and refinement but the first time it goes wrong you will be crying. I have given numerous cases of where modern stuff bites you back but we can all be sucked in when our old one is playing up or you are getting bored.

I must admit I was tempted with a V8 XF recently, a nice example with all the toys and it went up the road like a scalded cat and high 20's mpg on a run. Its owner presented me with the service history and that was enough to scare me off. A full set of brakes at £1000 plus the fitting 18 months previous, some work by a dealer to track down a warning light £600 and the cause a faulty sensor at £200.

SWMBO is bored with her 2005 Mini with 90k on the clock, it has never missed a beat in the 8 years of ownership, it passes each MOT with no advises and she wants a newer car like her mates. Apparently it can text to people by talking your message, when I asked what it was? she has no idea. I then asked her when was the last time she needed to text while driving? She did admit never but it might be useful. My guess when that amazing feature goes wrong I wont be able to fix it and the dealer will want a weeks wages to get it to work.

Go and have a look around the nearest scrapyard, most stuff is in there because it costs to much to repair because a warning light is on.

Last edited by SCP440; 14th February 2021 at 21:54..
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 09:17   #77
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
May go for something like a Kia Sportage or a Hyundai Ix35 for ease of access! Built like a brick outhouse I believe???

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
i see a report some of the Hyundai car have been bursting into flames lately!!
Think it was the Tuscon !!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 12:17   #78
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Get your Jaguars whilst you can before they shoot up in price as they are rumoured to be making the brand all-electric Announcement to be made on Investor day 26th February. https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...-investor-day/

Official today, JLR are taking the Jaguar brand fully electric & phasing out diesel engines, 60% of Land rovers will have a plug from 2024 too https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...lectric-brand/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 20:22   #79
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Official today, JLR are taking the Jaguar brand fully electric & phasing out diesel engines, 60% of Land rovers will have a plug from 2024 too https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...lectric-brand/
Interestingly from their global announcement today they are also developing hydrogen cell technology and running development mules on uk roads from this year.
9:38 on video

https://youtu.be/4dCGqml6RrA

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 20:43   #80
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'm wondering which one will be VHS and which one Betamax

Electric or Hydrogen.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote