Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2021, 13:32   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Not necessarily Steve. Actuator 2 refers to the "power" VIS whose valve linkage can break. I'd first of all detach the actuator and test its operation using TOAF. Also check manually for play in the linkage.

Cooling fan 2 can refer to the medium speed on a 3 speed system. If your friend's car has a 2 speed system, it won't have a medium speed and so T4, and possibly TOAF too, thinks there's a fault. You can tell if it's a 2 speed system by the presence of a resistor visible through the radiator grille.

Simon
But if he detaches the actuator and tests it then isn't there's a danger that it will over run if it's a non-Stocktake one? I believe one of Stocktake's modifications is a stop to prevent overrun. Perhaps Dave can advise. Otherwise safest to check for four sweeps while still in place, if it's dead then he can then detach it and check for linkage play.

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 13:44   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Mike is quite correct, testing a power Vis off the car and especially with 12v can (and usually does) cause it to over run and lock up with the internal cam depressing both the microswitches at the same time, this renders the Vis motor totally inoperative.
Mine do indeed incorporate among other improvements a limiter pin and are bench tested from 9v through to 16v to ensure they cannot over run .

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 18:54   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
But if he detaches the actuator and tests it then isn't there's a danger that it will over run ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Mike is quite correct, testing a power Vis off the car and especially with 12v can (and usually does) cause it to over run ...

Thanks Mike and Dave for pointing this out. Yes, I agree that testing with TOAF (using 12v) is best done with the linkage still attached to the actuator. I was forgetting that when I tested mine off the car I used a 9 volt PP3 and there was no overrun.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 1st March 2021 at 18:58..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:12   #14
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

OK, I've now replaced the cam sensor, cleared the errors and the car still doesn't start, TOAF is still showing a camshaft sensor fault and the only other error showing now is the cooling fan, anyone any pointers on where to look next. The camshaft sensor with link lead came from DMRGS

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:20   #15
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

If you still get a camshaft position sensor error after putting in a new one, I would suspect the cabling. Or whatever is on the other end of the cable!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 05:02   #16
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
OK, I've now replaced the cam sensor, cleared the errors and the car still doesn't start, TOAF is still showing a camshaft sensor fault and the only other error showing now is the cooling fan, anyone any pointers on where to look next. The camshaft sensor with link lead came from DMRGS

Steve
Does the car keep cranking? There's a 10amp fuse under bonnet fails and a kv6 will never start, BUT and it's caught me out before it usually causes the fuse to fail so barely that at a glance it's actually fine.

Has happened to me at least once in every kv6 now I've owned.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 07:43   #17
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Does the car keep cranking? There's a 10amp fuse under bonnet fails and a kv6 will never start, BUT and it's caught me out before it usually causes the fuse to fail so barely that at a glance it's actually fine.

Has happened to me at least once in every kv6 now I've owned.
Hi Colin, yes the car cranks over with no problems - is the fuse number three in the fuse box as I read a thread on another forum relating to non-starting KV6 that was throwing out a camshaft sensor error and it was actually the fuse causing the issue, along with intermittent O2 sensor faults, which is what this engine has been doing, initially it was a host of faults (see screen shot earlier in this post) but after changing the camshaft sensor and clearing the faults, the only faults to re-occur are the camshaft sensor and the cooling fan.
Hopefully I'll get the chance to check the fuse box later and I'll report back here with the results,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 5th March 2021, 23:39   #18
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Problem resolved - turned out fuse three in the engine bay fuse box had failed, swapped the fuse and car started no problems!

Steve

Old 6th March 2021, 09:02   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
... is the fuse number three in the fuse box as I read a thread on another forum relating to non-starting KV6 that was throwing out a camshaft sensor error and it was actually the fuse causing the issue, along with intermittent O2 sensor faults, which is what this engine has been doing ...
Thanks for posting the solution Steve. Yes, fuse 3 (engine fusebox) feeds the O2 sensor and camshaft position sensor so you were on the case!

Simon
Old 6th March 2021, 10:54   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just a thought on this one. Why did the fuse fail? As Arctic said earlier the O2 sensor wires can rub and short on the exhaust insulation. this could cause it to happen again, worth checking the wiring .
More importantly thanks for coming back to let everyone know the problem and outcome

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote