Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th July 2019, 14:24   #1
davros
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Are the early R75's still a reliable daily driver?

Simple enough question.

I would like to track down an earlyish high spec car say 2001 or so. I have the budget to find something really clean with history and low miles.

Although I would love the 2.5 V6, I need to be realistic about fuel bills as I do have a long commute so most likely it will be a CDTi auto.

I fully accept and am prepared to do all the preventative maintenance and servicing, I am just nervous that a car coming up for 2 decades old will leave me stranded.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by davros; 30th July 2019 at 14:25.. Reason: Add details.
davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 14:36   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don’t let the age of the car worry you, check the sills for signs of rust (plenty are starting to show signs nowadays) and check the rest as you would with any other car.
Old 30th July 2019, 14:38   #3
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

My early 2000 is still going strong, is a daily driver and i think nothing of jumping into her and driving anywhere in the country at a moments notice for work (Will be off to south London in an hour or two) Currently 178k ish mileage.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 14:40   #4
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

I have a 2003 CDTi auto Tourer (at 150k) that I use as a daily driver, 90 miles per day about 4 times a week. Have been doing this for 2 years and the only time I have had problems was this weekend when the crankshaft pulley gave up. Its a pleasure to drive these cars and as said, looking after them as they will pay you back many times over in shear motoring (rovering) happiness!!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers

Last edited by smudge.g; 30th July 2019 at 14:42..
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 14:41   #5
davros
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Don’t let the age of the car worry you, check the sills for signs of rust (plenty are starting to show signs nowadays) and check the rest as you would with any other car.

I see from your profile you are a trader in Norfolk. I am near Dereham. What exactly is your line of business? Do you sell 75's?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 14:57   #6
malagas
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDT Club, Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros View Post
Simple enough question.

I would like to track down an earlyish high spec car say 2001 or so. I have the budget to find something really clean with history and low miles.

Although I would love the 2.5 V6, I need to be realistic about fuel bills as I do have a long commute so most likely it will be a CDTi auto.

I fully accept and am prepared to do all the preventative maintenance and servicing, I am just nervous that a car coming up for 2 decades old will leave me stranded.

Any thoughts?
I have a 2000 CDTI 160 remapped like a daily car and you know what?
I am thinking of buying another one👍
These cars are fantastic💪💪

Enviado do meu LEX820 através do Tapatalk
Old 30th July 2019, 14:58   #7
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

My Rover 75 Tourer CDT is in daily service, just come back this morning with a new Maff sensor, other one was restricting power, however minor issue done in no time, now back to being nippy enough again, shes on 312000 miles. I tend to place £1200 a yearly budget for this car ( to keep on the road) at which it works out to £100 per month fictitious HP car in my mind which is £25 per week, nowt really.
Breakdown

£270 insurance
£200 road tax
£50 Mot
£225 full service
£250 repairs
£250 what ever happens in the year* may not
around £1250 this is my magic number
so far last year which a new year just started in my car ownership, she cost £1300, near enough

yes they are good for daily service still, my is 17 years old, so near the 20 years.
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 15:26   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Are the early R75's still a reliable daily driver?

Hi David,

Here's my answer to your question: it depends!

You've raised two key points:
Quote:
I am just nervous that a car coming up for 2 decades old will leave me stranded.
Actually, age and unreliability don't go hand-in-hand. New cars come with faults which have to be corrected under warranty at much inconvenience to the owner. I bought a new Volkswagen once. It broke down twice in the first two years. Both times it was fuel pump failure. It also suffered from terrible fuel vapourisation when hot and had to have a crude cooling device fitted.

If you keep your eyes open you'll see plenty of newish cars on the motorway hard shoulder.

Cars are having more and more equipment fitted, much of it computer controlled, and we all know what paragons of reliability computers are don't we? Older cars are simple by comparison and usually more reliable.

Quote:
... to find something really clean with history and low miles.
Sorry to shatter another myth but a low mileage car is usually prone to unreliability. For example, short journeys result in increased engine wear and reduce battery life. This is why taxis cover huge mileages with no serious problems. Mechanical devices which are used frequently don't have the chance to rust and electrical connections remain conductive.

A high mileage car that has been cared for and well maintained will be a better buy than a low mileage car which has been neglected so judge the car as a whole without any pre-conceptions. The hardest thing about buying a second-hand car is stopping your heart ruling your head!

Simon

PS On fuel bills, if your journeys are long and cross-country, the V6 will return at least 30 mpg. I know that's nothing like the diesel's record, but maybe not as low as you were expecting.
Old 30th July 2019, 15:38   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Simple enough question.

I fully accept and am prepared to do all the preventative maintenance and servicing, I am just nervous that a car coming up for 2 decades old will leavestranded.

NoAny thoughts?
There is no need for nervousness, any car at any age can leave you stranded, buy a car that has been looked after, check it over for sill rust especially around the rear jacking points, ask to see receipts for service carried out and check MOT records as well as emission test results.
Ask a member here if they are willing to help you check it over if you are not confident, the rest is just common sense, and take your time to find the right car.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 16:52   #10
davros
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

A high mileage car that has been cared for and well maintained will be a better buy than a low mileage car which has been neglected so judge the car as a whole without any pre-conceptions. The hardest thing about buying a second-hand car is stopping your heart ruling your head!

This is a very interesting point you make. It makes perfect sense. I suppose regular use is the key thing.

Ideally it would be nice to get a members car but I suppose most people on here will be wanting to hang on to theirs. I will keep a look out in the for sale section.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Glad to hear they can go on for such a long time! Clearly they are well bolted together.