Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2021, 16:00   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default T4 and towing electrics question

Is a T4 session required to tell the car that there are towing electrics fitted?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 17:36   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I've not read that it's necessary.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 00:52   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

In a word no, it doesn't require a T4 as it isn't coded

But on certain diagnostics T4 asks if the original Rover towpack kit is fitted, as it will allow certain tests.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 16:20   #4
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Question

Interesting you ask if the tow-bar electrics needed a T4 session. I’ve just fitted a tow bar & 7 pin electrics for a cycle carrier. I bought the loom from Trail-Tec in Germany, a bit expensive but well made a fits with a little adjustment as it’s primarily a BMW loom and a lhd one too! The control box is a BMW part, and I’ve no bulb error messages. One thing, it is supposed to disable the parking sensors when the tow bar is being used. It doesn’t do that, get a consistent ‘beep’ from them when cycle carrier is attached. Now I fitted the parking sensors years ago with the genuine Rover kit, but it never shows up on any T4 sessions. Do you think that’s why the tow bar electrics module doesn’t disable the sensors as the car doesn’t register them being fitted? On a slightly different note, I seem to remember reading somewhere if the sensors are fitted and you have a tow bar the car recognises this and adjusts the signal from the sensors to compensate for the extra length from the tow bar?
Schotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 16:45   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotten View Post
Interesting you ask if the tow-bar electrics needed a T4 session. I’ve just fitted a tow bar & 7 pin electrics for a cycle carrier. I bought the loom from Trail-Tec in Germany, a bit expensive but well made a fits with a little adjustment as it’s primarily a BMW loom and a lhd one too! The control box is a BMW part, and I’ve no bulb error messages. One thing, it is supposed to disable the parking sensors when the tow bar is being used. It doesn’t do that, get a consistent ‘beep’ from them when cycle carrier is attached. Now I fitted the parking sensors years ago with the genuine Rover kit, but it never shows up on any T4 sessions. Do you think that’s why the tow bar electrics module doesn’t disable the sensors as the car doesn’t register them being fitted? On a slightly different note, I seem to remember reading somewhere if the sensors are fitted and you have a tow bar the car recognises this and adjusts the signal from the sensors to compensate for the extra length from the tow bar?

do you know what the BMW part number is? There is a way using a BMW relay to monitor trailer lights, you need an extra wire from oh goodness I cant recall to the LSM.

The parking sensors are more accurate with a tow bar fitted, by this I mean you don't need the parking sensors going off when you are so far away from anything. With the tow bar fitted you are that much closer and so they beep at a more appropriate time. Have you checked the trailer board lights for all working ok?

macafee2
Old 6th March 2021, 17:09   #6
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Yeah, wire to pin 9 of the LSM, I don’t have part numbers of the modules to hand. I’ll have a look later on and post them. All lights work perfectly fine on the trailer board, including disabling the fog lights when it’s plugged in, on the IPK the rear fog light tell tale is there and when you switch off the lights it goes red with line through it first before going off. Sounds like all is as Rover intended, just strange about the parking sensors though.
Old 6th March 2021, 17:26   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotten View Post
Yeah, wire to pin 9 of the LSM, I don’t have part numbers of the modules to hand. I’ll have a look later on and post them. All lights work perfectly fine on the trailer board, including disabling the fog lights when it’s plugged in, on the IPK the rear fog light tell tale is there and when you switch off the lights it goes red with line through it first before going off. Sounds like all is as Rover intended, just strange about the parking sensors though.
seems the BMW relay is intelligent.

macafee2
Old 7th March 2021, 15:36   #8
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Question

Here’s the towing electrics relay from Trail-Tec and the Rover PDC module. I little investigation of Rover part number suggests I’ve got the wrong module? The car is a 2003 Connie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35AC6F48-2273-4D02-9E2E-7F217EBF1457.jpg (12.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 290F8F41-D252-40B7-8C06-9E4E3A669FEC.jpg (10.9 KB, 14 views)