Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 10:16   #11
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

I'm actually starting to hope it isn't going to be that, as it sounds like it'll be a question of taking apart everything I've just had done!

Thanks for the tip about looking behind the wheel arch liner though. That sounds easy enough, and like a good place to start. I don't *think* the tensioners were changed - it looks like it's just whatever comes in the kit, as that's all that's on the invoice.
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 11:37   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianM View Post
I don't *think* the tensioners were changed - it looks like it's just whatever comes in the kit, as that's all that's on the invoice.
Hi Ian,

You could give Summit Garage a call, give the parts dept. the kit's part number from the invoice and hopefully that will put your mind at rest. The ancillary belt has to be removed for access to the timing belt so any fault there should have come to the garage's attention.

What mileage has your car covered Ian? Have you investigated the simple things like an exhaust heatshield vibrating at that particular engine speed?

Simon
Old 13th October 2020, 11:52   #13
ianM
Regular poster

Hi Simon,

It's done about 35k miles, so it's really low mileage all things considered. The exhaust heatshield was one of the things we've wondered about ourselves, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of anything wrong, or anywhere it might be catching/knocking. I think I'm going to have to go through everything again to try and figure it out.

I did ask Summit if they could figure it out when I first took it to have the belts done five years ago, but they apparently couldn't tell where it was coming from either. Perhaps doesn't bode well for me fixing it, but at least I'm starting to make a list of potentials now!
Old 13th October 2020, 11:59   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
COLVERT KV6s do not have chains.
Thanks as I have a diesel.-------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 12:15   #15
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

It may be worth making a recording of the noise to help with diagnosis, but if you're stumped, I would recommend a call to Russell Walsh of MG Rover Solutions.

My V6 had a knock from cold which disappeared when warm and stumped a good many experts. After 12 months of head scratching (and ££s spent), I contacted Russell at my brothers recommendation. Russell has some 40 yrs experience with MG / Rovers, and identified the noise in 2 minutes. The subsequent stripdown showed his diagnosis to be spot on, and as a bonus, his charges were more than reasonable and his work ethic 2nd to none .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 12:25   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Have a look at the exhaust front pipe support bracket, these are known to snap and can cause a rattle.
Old 13th October 2020, 16:40   #17
ianM
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
It may be worth making a recording of the noise to help with diagnosis, but if you're stumped, I would recommend a call to Russell Walsh of MG Rover Solutions.

My V6 had a knock from cold which disappeared when warm and stumped a good many experts. After 12 months of head scratching (and ££s spent), I contacted Russell at my brothers recommendation. Russell has some 40 yrs experience with MG / Rovers, and identified the noise in 2 minutes. The subsequent stripdown showed his diagnosis to be spot on, and as a bonus, his charges were more than reasonable and his work ethic 2nd to none .

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid I'm nowhere near Kent, so that likely won't be an option! Would you mind sharing what yours was in the end, please?
Old 13th October 2020, 17:16   #18
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianM View Post
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid I'm nowhere near Kent, so that likely won't be an option! Would you mind sharing what yours was in the end, please?
Here's what mine sounded like - more of a knocking than a grinding (noise starts at around the 18 second point):

The knock would only occur when the engine was stone cold, and only for a few seconds (1 minute max), after which all sounded fine. Opinions ranged from tappets, main bearings, idler / tensioner noise etc, however Russell used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and correctly identified it as piston slap. He suggested the engine would probably out live me and was nothing to worry about at this stage, but being a picky so & so I wanted the noise gone, so he pulled the engine apart and sorted it .

It's worth mentioning, Russel is mobile and has been known to travel a fair distance for jobs. This week he is due to be in Liverpool (though I guess that plan may change with current restrictions). Having said that though, I guess a long trip just to listen and diagnose may not be the most economic approach.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 13th October 2020, 23:20   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
... so he pulled the engine apart and sorted it
Could you remind me please Cliff how he sorted it?

Simon
Old 14th October 2020, 08:00   #20
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Could you remind me please Cliff how he sorted it?

Simon
New pistons and liners, plus new main bearings (it just made sense whilst everything was in bits), new gasket set, and a new clutch.

A lot of work, but it's nice and quiet now as it should be

Cliff

No. 4 of 6