Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th October 2020, 10:36   #1
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Default Battery coding.

Hi.
With a couple of other battery threads running at the moment, it has prompted me to seek the advice of the learned people, gurus and experts on this forum as well as anyone with a similar experience.
I apologise it is not 75/ZT related but concerns my wife's August 2017 MK8 new shape Fiesta.
Despite being only just out of warranty, the Exide EFB Stop-Start battery does not seem to be holding a respectable battery voltage even though it has been slow-charged several times with a CTEK charger. I have purchased a replacement Bosch battery from Costco (even better price than Tayna with a 15% off offer).
I have been advised by Steve Rothwell, the resident faults technician at Car Mechanics magazine, that the battery will need coding to the car to provide the correct charge rates. I have a dedicated BMW scanner that will provide this function for a BMW, but not the Ford. I have also been in contact with Gendan who provide a lot of FCRs and scanners, especially Foxwell. They cannot provide a scanner that will code the battery to that particular model of Fiesta (MK8 is still too new).
I have an aversion to main dealer prices, plus it seems impossible to get past the glossy reception, and then you have no idea what actually happens (or not) to your car once the keys have been handed over.
So, my question is, has any one else been in this position? Can an independent perform this function, any idea of costs, or can I actually buy my own scanner to perform this task? Plus, does it actually need doing?
All advice and experiences gratefully received.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 10:52   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Ridiculous I know that you have to 'tell' a vehicle that it has a new AGM/EFB battery fitted but there it is!
You would think that it would be intelligent enough to recognise a new battery & reset itself.

Here is the manual reset procedure - no scan tool needed apparently:

1. Turn on ignition (not engine)

2. Ensure headlights are set to on (by switch)

3. flash the high beam five times

4. press the brake pedal 3 times

5. wait for the battery light to flash on the dash.

6. Turn off ignition then start engine.

You cannot do any harm by doing the above but if it doesn't work for any reason, aftermarket scan tools will do this but I'm not sure about the lower end ones.
I use a Snap On Modis Ultra & it can carry out the reset function.

Last edited by mh007; 18th October 2020 at 10:59..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 10:56   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Here is the manual reset procedure (apparently):

2. Ensure headlights are set to on

6. Turn off then restart.
I have no idea if true but it made me laugh

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 12:04   #4
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Ridiculous I know that you have to 'tell' a vehicle that it has a new AGM/EFB battery fitted but there it is!
You would think that it would be intelligent enough to recognise a new battery & reset itself.

You cannot do any harm by doing the above but if it doesn't work for any reason, aftermarket scan tools will do this but I'm not sure about the lower end ones.
Hi, thanks for that. I haven't tried it because looking on Ford Forum, it says it will work on earlier models, but not the new shape mk8, late 2017 onwards.
As you say, it should do no harm, but not fitted the battery yet until I know my options.
Many thanks.
Ps, as mentioned, Gendan cannot supply an aftermarket scanner. I don't know if anyone else can.

Last edited by tourer; 18th October 2020 at 12:07..
Old 18th October 2020, 12:05   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

BMW have been using coded batteries for a few years, it’s becoming quite common now. Batteries aren't just batteries like they used to be, their state of health and state of charge and load has to be measured and most are now on the cars bus network.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 18:26   #6
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
BMW have been using coded batteries for a few years, it’s becoming quite common now. Batteries aren't just batteries like they used to be, their state of health and state of charge and load has to be measured and most are now on the cars bus network.

Very true.
I had a Citroen DS in not so long ago with warning lights like a Christmas tree, Stop/Start failure a LIN network fault code.
Turned out to be the alternator.
It was doing everything an alternator should do but because it couldn't be identified on the 'network', I had to replace it at enormous cost to the customer (for an alternator!) plus labour to fit.
Sorry for drifting 'off thread' but it's just ridiculous how things have become.
Old 18th October 2020, 18:42   #7
tourer
Posted a thing or two

So, is the assumption that most independent garages will be able to code a new battery to the Mk8 Fiesta?
Old 18th October 2020, 19:12   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I never thought I would see the time when the driver would have to be coded to the car. Not long to wait now lads. And don’t forget, you will have to have a special code for all your passengers. How stupid can life get, and complicated. Wonder if it’s anything to do with MONEY?
Old 28th October 2020, 19:13   #9
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:

Big thanks to Mike (mh007).
I followed his advice regarding the reset procedure and it worked first time.
What a wonderful club this is, with folks prepared to offer their advice even for non-Rover issues.
Thanks again, Mike.
Old 28th October 2020, 21:42   #10
mh007
This is my second home

You're very welcome & I'm so pleased it all worked out for you

I agree, this really is a wonderful club