Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2020, 20:22   #11
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I have some ramps which raise a further six inches or so with jacks. I tend to jack the car up on the front jacking point and put the ramps under the wheels to save hammering the clutch driving up but I drive down the ramps but it gets it a decent height of the ground
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 22:03   #12
freelancer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE 2.5V6

Exclamation

Russp;

thanks, that sounds interesting.
So (for me) to be clear, do you:

chock the back wheels
jack up at the front centre with a trolley jack
Put the wheel ramps under the raised wheels
Jack up the ramps further to gain the extra height

Do you still put on axle stands?
What ramps do you have/recommend?
freelancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 22:33   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

You can either drive up ramps which have a leading front such as these below.

If you have higher ramps like i have then you would need to jack up the front of the car using the centre jacking point.

have the ramps ready to slide under the wheels once the car is high enough.

I have a couple of sets of ramps and use them together quite a few times as here below.

makes oil change easy

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 23:12   #14
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
You can either drive up ramps which have a leading front such as these below.

If you have higher ramps like i have then you would need to jack up the front of the car using the centre jacking point.

have the ramps ready to slide under the wheels once the car is high enough.

I have a couple of sets of ramps and use them together quite a few times as here below.

makes oil change easy
I'm not in a place where I could use ramps but I must say from my experiences on the forum so far that you seem to post lots of useful guides with good quality photographs too which is very handy for visual learners. Just wanted to say thanks.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 00:44   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
I'm not in a place where I could use ramps but I must say from my experiences on the forum so far that you seem to post lots of useful guides with good quality photographs too which is very handy for visual learners. Just wanted to say thanks.

Hi Andrew.
Thank you it gives people a chance to have a good visual projection of what may be needed etc.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 11:34   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why not use ramps and drive the front wheels up on to them?

macafee2

I find this burns a lot of clutch due to fear of overshooting, I prefer to jack it up and use either stands under the jacking points (perfectly secure- and exactly what the owners manual suggests) or put ramps under the wheels when not needing to remove them. Whichever you use lower the jack so the car rests on the stands or ramps - always chock the rear wheels once jacked up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Thanks for your advice. Just to be clear I've two car jack/supports and one trolley jack.

Should I be happy to jack up the entire car at the front central member and then rest on two jacks at the front sills (and maybe also remove the O/S front wheel).

As long as the stands are under the jacking points you'll be fine (corrosion of course is the exception!) Don't put stands anywhere else under the sills, the jacking points are reinforced for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS Disco View Post
Not sure you should drop it onto sills for the axle stands. May not be a good idea.
Trolley jack under the centre then find something structural to rest on .
I don't have my custom made axle stands any more or you could have borrowed them.
They consisted of 4 old steel rims, industrial pipe upstands with holes drilled in them and a bit of 2x2 angle iron on the top. Made them myself.
Worked very well to restore floor pans and A pillars etc.

Nothing wrong with using the jacking points for axle stands - exactly what Rover recommended. Rover especially warn against jacking or using stands anywhere other than the 4 sill jacking points and the central front and rear jacking locations. Of course there will be 'safe' places on the subframes (underneath subframe mounting bushes) but there's more danger of getting it wrong for the inexperienced: and distorting a subframe.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 23:54   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If the car's on axle stands and you need to take one or both front wheels off then slide one or both under the car.

If an axle stand slips or breaks it's impossible to compress a wheel.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 21:50   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If the car's on axle stands and you need to take one or both front wheels off then slide one or both under the car.

If an axle stand slips or breaks it's impossible to compress a wheel.---
Hi Jon. I have been using the wheel under the sill for around 50 odd years now. Was given the advice by an old mechanic who’s friend had been killed under a car when the jack slipped on the bare metal sill. I do it every time I work under the car. I put two pieces of wood on the top of the wheel also so it is against the sill or nearly. Not bothered if the sill does collapse,I will still be ok............I hope.
Old 31st October 2020, 22:30   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I find this burns a lot of clutch due to fear of overshooting, I prefer to jack it up and use either stands under the jacking points (perfectly secure- and exactly what the owners manual suggests) or put ramps under the wheels when not needing to remove them. Whichever you use lower the jack so the car rests on the stands or ramps - always chock the rear wheels once jacked up!

As long as the stands are under the jacking points you'll be fine (corrosion of course is the exception!) Don't put stands anywhere else under the sills, the jacking points are reinforced for it.

Nothing wrong with using the jacking points for axle stands - exactly what Rover recommended. Rover especially warn against jacking or using stands anywhere other than the 4 sill jacking points and the central front and rear jacking locations. Of course there will be 'safe' places on the subframes (underneath subframe mounting bushes) but there's more danger of getting it wrong for the inexperienced: and distorting a subframe.
my wife drives my car on ramps, never smelt the clutch burning.
My axle stands are not flat at the top but have a "U" shape top. I have a block of wood thay fits into the "U" and then rests against the jacking pad.

When lowering a trolley jack you need to check if the trolley jack rolls backwards or if the car rolls. If the car rolls it may not get lowered onto the intended location, so lower slow and check where it is going to land in case you need to move something.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 19:47   #20
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

I change the oil by using a small drill pump from the dip stick tube,saves messing with undertray and jacking up.
Don't know off hand where v6 filter is, as I've always had diesels,and the filter is in the engine bay,accessed from above.
If jacking the car I have used my ramps placed under the sill jacking points with a wood block on,or as previously suggested same principal with a wheel on its side.
Please don't go under a car just supported by a jack,,any jack. unless maybe if you have a purpose made trolley jack with some sort of ratchet type of safety feature,built in,but even then,best be on the safe side and have proper supports.
Hope you get it done without much hassle and safely.
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote